PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment?

Jamesbon
02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Is it safe or even Coast Guard approved to have a fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment?

If so, is there a CG approved one out there?

WA-LO
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Run it to the dash its hard to see back there when you are runnin about 90!!!

Cuda
02-13-2007, 09:49 PM
One of my engines had it in the engine compartment. I doubt it is Coast Guard approved, but I know damn well it wasn't Cuda approved. Cutting a solid metal line to put a fuel gauge in with rubber hose is not my idea of safe. Besides, who's going to hold the hatch up and stick their head back there at wfo to see your fuel pressure??:bonk:

gcarter
02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
I run a gauge mounted on a manifold just downstream of the Holley pressure regulator. It's an all brass manifold. The gauge is a very high quality SST bourdon tube gauge. I doubt if the bourdon tube would break even if you stepped on it. The electric pump, regulator, and gauge are mounted on the stbd stringer just in front of the engine.

Cuda
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I run a gauge mounted on a manifold just downstream of the Holley pressure regulator. It's an all brass manifold. The gauge is a very high quality SST bourdon tube gauge. I doubt if the bourdon tube would break even if you stepped on it. The electric pump, regulator, and gauge are mounted on the stbd stringer just in front of the engine.
How do you read it when underway?

gcarter
02-14-2007, 05:20 AM
How do you read it when underway?
I don't. It's there for making adjustments. You get a friend (like Debby) to run the boat w/the hatch off, and you watch. If an adjustment to the regulator is neccessary, you come to a stop and make it while leaning over the back seat.

RickR
02-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I hope the "Water Nazis" do not have an issue with mine :bonk:
BTW: I used a liquid filled gauge.

98shovel
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
autometer makes a really nice electric fuel press set up,have had one on my injected pu for 4 years with out any problems,and now i dont have to hang over the grill at 80 to read it

gcarter
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
BTW: I used a liquid filled gauge.
Me too.