PDA

View Full Version : 24 doral repower

joel mcqueen
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
ok heres the big question you just finished the doral hull and its ready for engine what do you do put on a bracket and go outboard or twin outboard or single VOLVO DUO PROP IO with yanmar diesel OR ALPHA 3 WITH 8.1 MERCRUISER NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS DONE A DORAL OR EL PESCADOR LATELY OR EVER DONR ONE WITH OUTBOARD i have a 24 el pes with jack shafted 454 to a volvo duoprop and love it so and what do we do ???????

Morgan's Cloud
02-12-2007, 07:09 AM
If it was mine I would definitely put a 496 in it.
Your choice wether black or red , I know what I would choose.
Would'nt even consider a bracket.
You've got plenty of room in there so you've got lots of choices.
Did it originally have a single in it ? That will simplify putting a single back in if you go that route.

joel mcqueen
02-12-2007, 08:10 AM
no original had twin 6 cyl so it has that big hull stringer in the middle

olredalert
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
-------Joel,,, Dont know how fast you want to go but I repowered my El Pescador with twin 350/Alpha combos. My boat started out life with twin Merc Iron Dukes in 1975. I find that my tolerance for any speed over 65 while standing there holding on to the wheel and the throttle and nothing else is slim. My combo will run rock solid at 63/64. Above that and Im not too interested. Doral would be different as you have a much more steady drivers platform........Bill S

BigGrizzly
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I like Bills boat and the power. If not go with the Yanmar unit.

joel mcqueen
02-12-2007, 04:13 PM
yea my el pescador has volvo dou and jack shafted 454 runs real good but am thinking of doing one with outboard like a yahmaha 4 stroke has anyone out there tried a outboard ive always heard that io boats dont run well with outboards see i have a doral and would like to keep the cabin but i am a diver and need cockpit room so it brings me back to outboard s and need to be as fuel economical as possible i need the range to get to the dive sites out in the gulf you need to run 30 or 40 miles to get to good dives

steve74
06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Joel, I just finished my Doral SS and used Merc. Mags. Its awsome to drive and I can hit 65mph at around 4200 rpm! I still have more speeds to hit but I am still adjusting some things. Let me know if you need any more info.
Steve

Dregsz
06-16-2007, 01:55 AM
ive always heard that io boats dont run well with outboards

This is a crock.
The issue is that you need to use atleast 18"s of setback and put the OBs on Hydraulic jackplates, you'll be fine