PDA

View Full Version : Big supercharged mercury motors..????

fasttrucker
02-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Was reading my powerboat mag.Inside is a Mercury Racing Factory Fresh program for the hp850 and hp1075.cost is $26,000.plus+..:eek!: ..Needed every 100 to 150 hours.I was thinking that I ran about 88 hrs last season.So if I had two of these motors in a 38zr I would be looking at $52,000. plus+ every two years.WOW!:eek!:

ChromeGorilla
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
real life numbers people have been seeing are 12K to 15K.

LKSD
02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I guess if you have the coin for the engines in those programs then the cost for upkeep shouldnt be a dig deal..

Like some other stuff, I would have to imagine that the same service done by annother shop other than Mercruiser could be less costly.. 26k buys a lot of labor on an engine considering that it is a refresh & inspection..

BigGrizzly
02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
In all fairness those prices are due to usage. The people who own these boats use the hell out of them. we put a set of 1075 in a cat and he was told to break them in. The next day I was cruising and he went by me at well over 100mph. He didn't have 30 minutes on the engines. three weeks later seized piston. When asked when it happened he responded on the way back from lunch in Tampa. He has a house in Dustin. You don't even want to know what the tell tail tack said . Now Sterling charges $2500+ air fair to send a guy down every 20 hours to do a leak down test and check them out for you. Repairs are your responsibility. This is why the warranties are so short. Like JW said if you can afford them then whats the big deal.

Rootsy
02-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Gotta pay to play.. and the closer you get to the thin red line... the more expensive it gets...

The Hedgehog
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Its all relative. I also have a hard time comprehending it was well. As well as folks that drive these bowriders have a hard time comprehending folks like you and I dropping between $3 - 6K on our boats every winter and burn over $100 in gas to take a quick ride to get a hamburger on Sat afternoon.

It sure would be fun to be able to blow $50k every winter having stuff done to my boat but heck, I am having a blast with what I have.

justleft
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
There was an Appache with full on racing motors at a Key West poker run awhile back.

The owner payed to have a truck load of Cam3 racing fuel follow him around for the week !! He also had a mechanic that checked the motors every morning and got the boat ready to go out and play.

It's only money.

He probably spent more on fuel then I have into the 22c !

But then if I had one of those twim turbine babies, I would have to get JetA to follow me around !

gcarter
02-14-2007, 05:36 AM
A little off subject, but still a good analogy.....
The average "new" Rolls Royce buyer has an annual income of $14,000,000.00. With a new Roller costing $350,000.00, he has a smaller automotive budget (as a percentage of income) than most of us.
Same applies to boats, airplanes, or whatever.

farmer tx
02-15-2007, 12:34 AM
George you need one more post to hit 4K.