PDA

View Full Version : 18/22 Classic for cruising?

zelatore
02-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Hello all - I'm new to your forum but I've been mining the archives for a while now.

I was about to start a restoration on the interior of my old bow rider when I realized that I was really just throwing good money after bad - I could take that cash, sell the old boat + a couple other toys, and buy something I've always like the looks of - a Donzi Classic.

However, the girlfriend doesn't want anything to do with a hotrod; she just wants to cruise the delta on a nice morning. Since I've never driven any of the classics, I'm wondering about the viability of using one of these boats this way. For reference, we'd be looking to use the Donzi to replace an 18' bow rider with a 260 hp/350 merc that cruises about 30-35 mph and tops out around 48-50. Fast enough for what it is, but it's no sport boat. I'd like to see a little more speed, but definatly a better ride in a chop and big boat wakes. Plus the Classic series just never goes out of style.

My first thought was to find an 18 Classic - that's about the same size as the bow rider we have now. But I'm afraid she won't care much for the cut-down, low freeboard ride. The 22 would probably be a better fit, and either one would need to have a windshield.

The next problem is finding one for sale. I'd love a chance to show her a 22 or 18C, but I haven't had much luck finding one locally- I'm in Northern California. Anybody out there in my area that might be able to let us take a look at your boat to see how it fits?

Assuming the boat 'fits', what does the group think of my chances of finding a nice 22 or 18 in the $15-20K range? I don't so much care about the year - a nice older boat is fine by me; maybe even preferable as we've both got a thing for early boats/bikes/cars/etc. And since we'll mostly be pleasure cruising, it doesn’t have to set the river on fire with the hottest engine around although I've never been one to turn my nose up at just a little more power :)

I think tomorrow I'll swing by the local dealer and see if they have any classics in stock. The new boats are way more than I'm going to spend, but it might at least get her more on-board with the idea.

I'm looking forward to your comments - thanks in advance.

Don

Pismo
02-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Find a freshwater 22 with a trailer, late 80s/early 90s will fit your price, have it checked out thoroughly for stringer/transom rot. A stock 7.4L or 454 Magnum Bravo with switchable exhaust would give you 60-70mph and could be made totally quiet for your riders. It will last 20+ years if not abused. The ride is great, a little better than an 18 and far better than your current 18 bowrider. A 22 is a "safe" feeling boat where you sit down in it, mostly below the rubrail, with a windshield. An 18 has a little more open, exposed, higher seated feeling. you'll love it. You will have to search the country to find one that fits and then go get it or have it delivered. Hard to find locally.

Dr. Dan
02-11-2007, 07:32 AM
:wink: Welcome to the board... for what you stated your use is I think you have a few options... your point about the Freeboard on the 18 might be a factor for your Lady.... but the 18's are awesome boats!
The 22 Classic is an excellent choice for all of the reasons you stated, I boat on the Chespeake Bay...and my buddy(Undertaker) also has a 22 Classic, we manage pretty well...when the winds kick up we don't hang in the big water too long...we look for more protected waters. I have been in serious water with it...and all though the ride was by no means comfortable...I was confident I was going to get my butt outta harms way...and fast and I have ...several times.
You might also consider the Minx and also the 21 GT, both of these offer higher Freeboard, the Minx's are a great boat for what you described for your use... and there are more available. The 21 GT's are more limited, generally have 2 Engines and are Tanks! They are a Freighter even compared the 22 Classic....just a heavier package and wide. They feel much more substantial to your passengers.
I am not sure what kind of time frame you are considering..but if you have time I always recommend you guys fly into one of the Events and ride in several boats.... I have a close friend who is currently on the hunt for a 22 Classic and he came to the Owners Rally last year in Sarasota...he rode in every style Donzi he could... and learned first hand the variables between the many different designs. On the west coast there are a few 22 Classics and a Blackhawk, most are up in the Washington area.... British Columbia...
Events to check out... Awakening 2007 - Kentucky May, DustOff-Lake George New York-June(Fathers Day Weekend) or you could scoot down to warmer climes and see the SeaDogs at one of their gatherings....
If you are in a rush... then you will have to hope a clean boat comes along... can you get these boats for those prices? Yes, however...my experience is that most Turn Key boats are going for High Teens to low to Mid Twenties...in any of these configurations/styles. Fact is if the guy has done alot of work he is looking to get something in return...as silly as that concept is.
Good Luck, be patient... check out Boat Trader, and the other boating sights...if you have any direct questions feel free to private mail me.
Doc of the Bay :smash:

Pismo
02-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes, the GT would be an excellent choice, 8' beam rather than 7'. Hard to find tho and old, more risk of rot. A single engine one would be great.

zelatore
02-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll do some research on the 21GT and Minx. I'm not familiar with either of them; the classics I've seen, if not actually had a chance to drive. The sort of speeds your talking about are fine for what we'll be doing, and as noted before if this thing takes hold I can always start turning wrenches for more speed.

From a bunch of hours on-line looking for classics, it looks like I can find the boats in the price range I was talking about. Just not locally. If it was within a day's drive I'd have no problem picking it up and towing it home, but beyond that I'd have to look into having it towed back. I'm not put off by the towing, just the hassle of long-distance buying. I've done it before for cars and bikes, and it's certainly not the best way to do things. Although this time it might be the only option.

As for waiting, well, I'm not a patient man when I've got some disposable cash. If the right boat came up next week I'd be on it.

Again, thanks for the input. I'll keep looking, and I might come looking for a 'local' to check out a potential boat for me in Florida, Texas, or some other far-off exotic land...

Don

slapshot11
02-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Zelatore,
I know your pain. I wanted a DONZI but my wife doesn't like to go fast,...at all. I have to say, the 22' Classic has been a perfect solution. I can go out by myself or with my buddies and really fly, or I can go out with my wife, easily plane off to a confortable cruising speed, feel very stable and go for a day long scenic cruise. It's the perfect solution. Good luck.

slapshot11
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
MP,
As you know, I spoke to and old friend of your who knows a little something about the new motor in that Crit of yours. Is it true that you had to get clearance from NASA before you launch it?
Is that the ride we're going to see in lake George this June?

Carl C
02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
You'll love an 18 or 22C; your girlfriend won't.

98shovel
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
with a donzi can always find a new girl freind
oh i mean some body to ride with you

p729lws
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Don,
My wife hated the 18 any time it was on plane. She's good in the 22 up to about 60 MPH. Your milage may vary..........

You wont regret getting a classic / GT / Minx. :yes:

Dan

zelatore
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Again, thanks for the input. There's a local GT I'm going to try to see, depending on where it's stored maybe even this week. I'll also keep my eyes open for a Minx in addition to the 22. Sounds like I'd better stay away from the 18, which is about what I expected.

What sort of diffences are there between the 22 Classic, the Minx, and the GT? Somebody's already mentioned that the GT is an 8' beam, which would be fine. No doubt that would cost a little speed since it's going to be heavier and have more hull in the water, but otherwise the few pics I've seen look quite similar.

Additionally, is there any particular power combanations I should look for or stay away from? Although I grew up drag racing Fords, I suspect this is a situation where the Chevy would be preferable. Lord knows parts are far more available and cheaper to boot. I assume it's the same with Merc and Volvo or OMC (although technically I am a Volvo dealer so I suppose I could get oem parts at a resonable rate - since we don't sell stern drive stuff I've never looked into it). I'd guess a basic Merc 454 with a Bravo would be a good starting point and pretty common in my sub $20K range but I'm also seeing a lot of Fords 351W's Is the performance with the small blocks pretty decent in the 22?

And lastly, keep your eyes and ears open for a west coast boat - I need a fix bad!

Don

Formula Jr
02-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't wish to sound sexist, but men and women look at entirely different things about boats. The classic series, is aimed and was designed for men, as was your bow rider.
The suggestions being given are boys being boys. The 18, 22 and GT 21 are all "can't pee but over the side" boats and have no comfortable shelter when the weather gets bad.

Women want a boat with three things. Three very, very important things.
They want a head, they want a cuddy cabin and they want a windshield.

Very little else about the boat matters. Even size doesn't matter if it has these three things.

Check out the Regazza and the early Z boat series in the Donzi List. You can bump up any of those with Hp to run at 60. The Regazzas will fall apart though in rough water. They aren't designed for running hard. The Zs are.

Do not get the 454 (Merc 330). For the same gas use you could get a 498. The 454 is a pig of an engine. It will last forever, its over built, heavy and as close to a diesel as you can get with a gas engine. You might as well buy a Yanmar and have options of alt fuels in the future.

Tony
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Wrong coast, but this is an original '86 Minx (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44332&highlight=minx) that will not disappoint. Deeper than even a 22', stable & dry, and over 60 mph with a stock sbc. Probably can be had at the low end of your range, leaving some room for you to ship it west!

:beer:

yeller
02-11-2007, 09:33 PM
You're going to be hard pressed to find a good classic in your price range on the west coast. There's always the exception, so keep looking, but us Donzi lovers live on the wrong coast when it comes to buying. A 15K classic on the east coast will be 4~5k more on the west. Very limited supply out west. If that GT in CA is decent, it may very well be the perfect boat to satisfy both of you. Looks similiar to the classic, but a more comfortable ride for those that don't care for the 'wind in your face' ride.
Still a ways off and not exactly Cali, but I'll be in Havasu/Vegas mid June if the 2 of you'd like a ride in a 22C.
BTW: Try and get your girlfriend to look at a 22C. My wife was dead set against getting one until I took her to the Seattle boat show and showed her one there...........now I have one. :wink:

BUIZILLA
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
what happened to that kick ass blue/honey GT on Tahoe???

sweet 16 1966
02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Very nice boat. I have wondered why we don't see more 22's for sale around same year. Build dates for 22's were several years before the Minx began the 3 year run with only 160 or so built . The Minx is an excellent choice but many - like Tony- are enjoying their 22's.

zelatore
02-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Went to the Seattle show this year - no Donzi's even though they were on the vendor list. Very disapointed. There was a Shelby at the NorCal Pleasanton show, but I sort of skipped by it as I was setting up our own display and at the time I wasn't serious about looking for a 22.

As for keeping the the girlfriend happy and needing more comfort in the boat, a head, cuddy cabin, etc. I think we'll be fine on that front. We've got a 32 Carver Montego to take care of all that. She's pretty much OK with any of the boats so far (just looking on-line) so long as A- it's a decent ride, B-it's not a wet ride, and C-it can behave like a nice comfy cruiser to some extent. I'm good with all that as well, I just want to add D- it looks and sounds cool and E-it will still get up and run when I want to play. Looks like a Minx might just do all those things.

No word yet from the GT owner, but I've got a pretty busy schedule for the next week so I'm not chasing him too hard. After things settle down next week I'll try to get in touch with him again.

Don

yeller
02-12-2007, 12:52 AM
PowerBoatsNW is the dealer in Seattle that was going to bring Donzi to the event. They sell Donzi, Fountain, Nordic, Baja, Eliminator, Regal, Glastron, Proline.......I think thats all of em. :boggled:
They asked for 10,000 sqft and got 4000. Something had to go and I don't think Donzi is their biggest seller by a long shot. They brought a beautiful navy 22C last year....still have it I think. That's the boat that convinced my wife. My wife's a bit of a princess and she loves the 22C. Considering you have a cruiser and this is a second boat, the only thing I think your girlfriend might not like is the 'wind in the face'. That can easily be cured by installing Windaway's or similiar.

Carl C
02-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Women want a boat with three things. Three very, very important things.
They want a head, they want a cuddy cabin and they want a windshield.

I can think of three more things: A sun pad, boarding ladder and drink holders. zelatore, go for a 22C anyway. The girlfriend will get used to it.........................or not.

undertaker
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I would go for the 22C your girlfriend and you will be happier in the long run. Have been in my 05 22C for two years now and love it (downsized from a 33ZX:eek!: :eek!: ) my wife is getting better in the 22C she does get a little nervous at times but mostly because I am still learning how to drive this boat, you need TIME to learn how to drive these 22C the CORRECT way. Good luck and welcome to the infection.....I am a newbie to the 22C scene compared to some of the seasoned vets on the board but if ya have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Undertaker:)

PS Here is one in Texas that looks nice in the pics, maybe a roadtrip would be in order....:) :)
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/page-12010.html

undertaker
02-12-2007, 08:56 AM
There are a few board members from Texas that might be able to look at the boat for ya if your seriously interested, don't want to speak for them but the few I am thinking of would be more than willing to help you out.

Undertaker:pimp: :pimp:

zelatore
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Currently, we have a 32' Carver Montego that is berthed at my office in Oakland. We live in a little river town on the Sacramento river about 30 miles down-stream of Sacramento. Since that's something like 70 miles from the office (and even further for my girlfriend) we usually stay on the Carver several nights a week.

Our other boat is an 18' Rinken bow rider. This was my father's boat, and I have a lot of memories of that boat on the Ohio river, Kentucky lake, etc. I've done a lot of work with it over the last few years, but really it's just a cheap old boat that I've been keeping because of sentimental reasons. When I repowered it with a 350, I got some decent speed out of it (for what it is) but it's really got no particularly good virtues other than those in my memory. I was about to re-do the interior (similar to a Classic; two barrel chairs up front and a bench integrated with a sun lounge on the back) and when I added up the costs I realized I should take that cash + whatever I can get for the boat + sell one of my other toys ('93 Ford Lightning) and stop talking about getting another delta boat and actually do it.

Since neither of us much cares for wild graphics or exotic paint - they just seem to go out of style the next year anyway - and we both are attracted to vintage style, the Donzis seemed like a great fit. Besides, everybody on the bay/delta has a Baja/Fountain/Formula/whatever go-fast. This is far cooler than just another fast boat.

So now I'm on the hunt. I've got a full plate this week as I've got 59' 36' Carvers to deliver by Wednesday, then Thursday we're leaving for a short charter on a 32' Nordic Tug in the San Juans. I'll be back from that Tuesday, then I can get more serious about finding the right Donzi.

And at that point, I'll probably be putting some feelers out to see if any of any board members can do some checking on boats for me since it looks like I'll likely be buying a boat in Florida or Texas or ??? and having it shipped in.

And I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you guys. Thanks a lot, but I suppose I'd better get to work since it's almost 8 and my crew should be waiting for me in the shop.

Don

Formula Jr
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
There was one ZX26 at the Seattle Qwest Show. There was an overflow outdoor area at the north entrance to the Qwest convention area. So out in the rain, wedged between a couple Bajas and a Fast-Tec Formula was at least one Donzi under a cover. There may have been more at the Lake Union part of the show.

Formula seems to be the dominant performance brand in the PNW.

It was fun to see the regional flavor of the Seattle Show as compared to the Annapolis Powerboat Show.

At the Annapolis show, you might see two or three Wake-Board Boats, the Seattle Show was filled with them. And what I would call, Mega-Ski-Boats.

"C-it can behave like a nice comfy cruiser to some extent."
This is where I get confused. A "Cruiser" conjures up a specific type of design. Particularly in the PNW where Cruisers tend to be all-weather boats. The C-Dorys being some of the smallest. Run-abouts are what the Classics are. Even a 22C is going to be a wet ride on the Sound.

Wait a sec, oh!, thats right you are in Walnut Grove California. That changes everything: Sacramento River, San Pablo Bay, San Francisco Bay, Lake Tahoe.
Freeboard isn't that big of an issue for that area.

zelatore
02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
You know, I walked past the outdoor overflow area a couple times on my way in/out, but I never actually looked at what was there.

Yeah, there are plenty of ski-boats at that show. It always amazed me that they did any skiing up there since I have this image of it always being cold and rainy. I know it's not; that's just the way I imagine it. I'm going to get my first up close and personal taste of PNW cruising in a couple days - we're chartering a 32 Nordic Tug. Sort of the anti-Donzi.

No Donzi's at Lake Union. Mostly larger boats. Their were a few smaller boats, but more in the C-Dory style like you were talking about.

And hey, don't get me wrong - I like traditional down-east styling. I hope in a couple years to replace my 32 Carver with a 34 Sabre. Enclosed helm with twin diesel and a 20+ knot cruise. That's a good combo for the PNW or the bay area! I'd also take an Eastbay 39 or 42, but that's just right out of the price range.

Are you located in the Seattle area? I'll be flying into SeaTac Thursday morning then driving up to Annacortes to pick up the Tug.

Formula Jr
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Seattle IS cold and rainy most of the year, then there's three months of unbeliveably beautiful scenery and oppertunities to go out in open boats.
You will see people on occassion wake boarding on The Sound, but its rare and they have to wear wet suits. The lakes, Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish, Lake Tapps and Chelan and some of the other eastern lakes warm up enough in the summer for Skiing and Swimming. Lake Washington and Lake Tapps turn in to Zoos on warm summer days.

I take it you're going to tour the San Juans and possibly the Gulf Islands?
Bring every piece of ID you have if entering Canada. Lenny can fill you in on the current check-in requirements. Everything in this area is effected by rather extreme tides. For instance if you tie up to one of the public anchor buoys and row a tender into shore, you might not be able to get back till next slack tide. I almost ended up in the Strait in a little row boat with no flares due to this.

Take lots of Photos!

I plan on moving to the Seattle area soon. I've been Moving Soon to Seattle for about three years now......
:boggled:

3rdDonzi
02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Don,
Found a spotless '95 classic 18 with 51 hrs. on it since new last summer that I couldn't live without. Had it shipped from Denver CO to North Carolina for $1800.
Used a company called Showroom Transport. They specialize in exotic cars, boats and collectables. Highly recommend them!

Corky C.

Showroom Transport
(800) 903-4944 SALES OFFICE
(207) 784-4646 SALES OFFICE FAX
(703) 495-0899 BILLING OFFICE
(703) 690-4644 BILLING OFFICE FAX

Barry Eller
02-13-2007, 05:06 AM
Don,
My wife hated the 18 any time it was on plane. She's good in the 22 up to about 60 MPH. Your milage may vary..........
You wont regret getting a classic / GT / Minx. :yes:
Dan
Your wife wants a Bimini Top......:umbrella: :angryfire

zelatore
02-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes, I'm heading out to the San Juans. I don't plan on doing the Gulf Islands since I don't want to deal with customs. We're only up there until Monday afternoon, so I think I can find enough to keep me entertained. We'll be arriving in Anacortes to pick up the boat Thursday. I may not have packed all my ID's, but I did pack plenty of rain gear as I'm told we WILL do some hiking while up there regardless of the weather.

I'm used to dealing with tides, just not as big as yours. We get about 6' here in the bay. As for the dink - That's what outboards are for!

And thanks for the transport numbers. I've been guessing around $2500 from Florida to California for a 22. I regularly ship from WI to CA for work, but that's a little different. I rarely deal with shipping smaller boats with trailers. I figured I could put an add up on U-ship to see what sort of offers I got once I had a location.

Minx or Classic....Minx or Classic....How am I supposed to get any work done when this is all that goes through my head all day?

Don

royalbcat
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Don,
My '92 22C might work well for you. I traded it in last week on a new 27ZR to Mike @ Xtreme Marine. It's sitting on their showroom floor. I've known Mike for about 20 years so I'm sure I could get him to cut you a deal on her. She was a great boat! I just decided I wanted something with a small cabin so I could overnight with my 9 yr. old. Anyway, she's a '92 King Cobra 370hp, beautiful shape with low hours. I only have one picture here at the office but if you want to drop me an email, I can send some more your way.
You can't go wrong with a classic. My first was a '66 18' barrelback(should have never sold it) & I've had two 22s. For cruising, you might like the additional freeboard of the 22'.
Here's a pic of the '92
http://i12.tinypic.com/49a9i7p.jpg
Drop me an email for more info & good luck with your search!
royalbcat@aim.com

Cuda
02-13-2007, 11:12 AM
I currently own a Minx and a 22C (well, it's technically Debbie's 22). Both ride fairly rough water well. I think the Minx is a little more "fun" to drive, but the 22 sure is a nice boat. I have the Minx for sale, it's in the Donzis for Sale section, but then again, I'm in Florida. I'd just as soon keep the Minx, but I know Debbie's not letting her 22 go anywhere, and since they are very similar, no need to keep both.

One big difference I can tell from the Minx to the 22 is the windshield on the Minx works MUCH better than the one in the 22. I guess it's that little turn up at the top that makes such a difference. The 22 pretty much ramps the wind right into your face.

zelatore
02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Jay, that's a sharp looking boat. And with the s/s windshield too...mmmmm-tasty. I'm afraid it might be a bit out of my range though being a 92 and being at a dealer.

Cuda - I've been watching your boat on the classifieds. it's one of a few I've got an eye on. In about a week things should settle down and I can get serious about finding the right boat.

Don

royalbcat
02-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't know, Don. A little bird tells me it might be right in the sweet spot of your price curve:wink:

PS: Cuda's boat is sweet too! You can't go wrong either way.

p729lws
02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Your wife wants a Bimini Top......:umbrella: :angryfire

My wife prefers to go topless:propeller

yeller
02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
zelatore, if your heading to the NW and you can make a stop in Tacoma, go to PowerBoatsNW. They have a beautiful 22C in the showroom. I showed it to the wife and it sold her on the 22, it might have the same effect on the girlfriend.

dwiggl
02-13-2007, 10:14 PM
There is a nice 21 in North Lake Tahoe. Check out Sierra Boat Co's web sight.
I have seen it - very nice w/ new power.
Think they also have a small Cig for sale. Will need a new girl for that one though....
Regarding the Chesapeak VS the Ca. Delta, you need a bigger boat back east. Delta/SF bay swells are smaller but colder.
How about this: Buy my classic old cabin cruiser (on the Delta Loop), then you have a place to hang out on and run the Donzi as a satelite boat! It's a great old boat - with a real head - and you can get whatever speedster you want!

Seriously, Check out the 21.
Good luck.
A different Don that's enjoyed both coasts....

zelatore
02-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. We're flying into Seatac tomorrow on the first flight out of Oakland. We're then heading north to Anacortes. Tacoma is out of the way, but I'll see what the schedule looks like.

Now that I've opened up my search criteria to include the whole country, it looks like there are plenty of boats to consider. I'll start narrowing them down next week, and hopefully have an offer on one by a week after that! Figure 2 or 3 weeks to arrange shipping, and I could be sitting in my 'new' boat in less than a month!

Don

gcarter
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
This is the preferred view of a Minx.....for heavens sake, not on a trailer!!!:wink:
But this one is no longer available.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24251&d=1159754530

Cuda
02-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Here's a good one for comparisons. Two Minx, and a SBC 22 running together. (Yes, that is gcarter taking up the rear :) )

Cuda
02-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Another shot of gcarter's Minx. Sorry, but the only pictures I have of his Minx is over my stern. :)

gcarter
02-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Neither you or Fish had any troubles that day.:wink: :wink:
No one had to use their push rope.

gcarter
02-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Really, I was bringing up the rear "just in case".....honest I was!:wink: