PDA

View Full Version : Drive oil in bildge

need for speed
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Problem of the day,, drive oil going in to bilge .. the line from the bottle on the top of the 496 is off down in back of the block... the little nipple it goes on is way way down in back and under the steering from a look with a light the nipple looks as if it is broke off...looks like a 90* going into the transom assembly how do you get to that thing? Anyone had this problem.. Alarm went off and I checked under the hatch and found this…. :confused:

smokediver
02-10-2007, 10:20 PM
good seeing you today charles ... sorry to hear of the problem ... your boat looked sweet today ! let me know if you need a hand ...

need for speed
02-10-2007, 10:46 PM
got some cool pics of your ride!! will post asap~~

LKSD
02-11-2007, 08:57 AM
You may be able to get it out with an easy out or if you have some surface area to grip on you may be to use vice grips.. If that doesnt work you will probably have to drill & rethread.. You must then flush & clean out the line so that metal doesnt get into the drive..

If you need a new one you can look up the parts & order them thru our online discounted microfiche.. :) I hope the project goes well for you.. Sorry to hear about the mess..

Jamie / Lakeside

www.LakesideRestorations.com

MOP
02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Charlie that fitting goes through the shield sealed with Orings and locked in place by a clip, it goes from the outside in. It is a pain in the azz but doable, the hardest part is getting the E clip on it once in place.

Phil

LKSD
02-11-2007, 10:28 AM
My bad.. Phil may be right.. I was thinking of something else.. Here is a blow up of the parts for that from my web site.. Maybe it could help you.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

need for speed
02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
thank you!!

yes that is it the 90* part number 5 in pic... can that be taken out from the engine room side? kind of tight down in that area..Can't see how it goes in. the dam 90 broke off the nipple part was still in the hose.. all I should have to do is change out the 90 and get the hose back on some how...

the drive should be fine right since it was just the reservoir loosing the oil.. am I thinking right?

the boat is still under its 1 year Warranty maybe i should just take it in.... i hate leaving it out side in some sandy yard...

LKSD
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I would take it in if it is still under warranty, however if they say it was not a factory defect that caused the part to fail they may not replace it at no cost to you.

Also, yes as long as the drive didnt go low on fluid it should be ok. One easy way to see if the drive went low on fluid is to pull the top drive vent screw & see if there is gear lube there. If there is you should be ok..

:) Jamie / Lakeside

need for speed
02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
will be looking to find a dealer, the local ish guy doesn't really do anything for me.. will make a few calls.

oldandtired
02-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Definitely check the fluid level in the drive. The oil can blow out of the drive if you ran it for any amount of time with a leak down low. At the very least, the drive will cook the seal on the input shaft when that happens. A similar thing happened to me and I ended up rebuilding the drive even though the main problems I found were on the input shaft seal and upper gears. A good way to check the oil level is to pull the top cap. Checking from the side only tells you if it's full and even then, can be somewhat deceptive. Just pull the four twelve point screws and look in. If the lower gear (in the upper) isn't covered in oil, just fixing the leak isn't going to cure the other leak that you will certainly have from the upper seal. If it's under warranty, make sure that they address that as well because you'll almost certainly be back to deal with it later.

Good luck,

Rene

need for speed
02-11-2007, 02:15 PM
will check i am sure the drive did n't run low, the drive oil bottle still had some oil in it... the alarm went off once the oil level was down to the sensor and that happend at the ramp on my way out of the water..

MOP
02-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Charlie look a part#4 that clip is inside, remove it and pull the fitting out from the drive side.

need for speed
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
very hard to get to... but i got it off,, you can see the part missing. i should be able to replace and add reservoir oil and be done.

MOP
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Charlie after you get it hooked up pump some new oil in from the bottom fill that will push any accumulated air up/out into the reservoir/

Phil

need for speed
02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah sure is:confused:

will the alarm on these 496 motor rest once the oil is back in where it should be? or do they need to see the doc

MOP
02-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Poodle has the right idea! S/S would be the hot ticket brass may burn the shield. A hydraulic steering transom fitting would be a great replacement.

Phil