PDA

View Full Version : Distributor help

Cuda
02-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I swapped out a points type distributor, to this TB V. I think I have it connected correctly, but I'm not getting the advance I should. I guessing it's only getting about six degrees of advance when throttled up. I read that you should ground the purple wire when setting the initial advance, but it makes no difference at all if it's grounded or not. The white wire is not connected to anything, I read it's for a knock sensor, which I don't have. Any ideas?

MOP
02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Joe maybe the white needs to be hooked to a sensor or possibly somewhat grounded, a knock sensor retards the spark so with the white not connected the pack may be held in retard. If I were close by I would try running the white through a potentiometer to ground to see if the advance come back at a given OHM's. Just a hunch to get around the knock sensor which the pack may need!

Phil

catch 22
02-11-2007, 02:06 AM
It looks like all 8 wires are hooked up. Now lets go to the keys.:yes: :yes:

Cuda
02-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Apparently, the white wire goes to a knock module. I believe this is the knock module that came with the distributor, but I have no place to plug it in. Can I just run the white wire to the + side of the coil? I think it's less than 12v at that point. I'll get out today and take a voltage reading at the coil with the key on.

gcarter
02-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Joe, if you wanted to use the knock sensor, and if it is a 3/8 straight thread, you might could screw it into the back of a head, or the block.

MOP
02-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Joe I would not hook the white to power you may damage the pack, George has the right idea bolt the sensor to the head.

Cuda
02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
There is no place to plug the knock sensor module into.

Cuda
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Post number four might have been a bit misleading, since I didn't post what I was told on Oso.

The ignition module expects to find an 8-10 volt signal fron the knock module when no knock is present. Without the voltage signal, it will run fully retarded. You will need a knock module in addition to the ignition module (even if it's not connected to a knock sensor).

Cuda
02-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I just measured and I have 10.1 volts to either post on the coil. If the knock sensor is looking for 10 volts to operate normally, it surely can't tell where the 10 volts is coming from.

Btw, I found the other module. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that this one wasn't the TB V module, and that I had installed the TB IV module.