PDA

View Full Version : Whipple or Imco Shotie

KRAVEN
02-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Thinking of installing a Whipple supercharger or a Imco shotie on my 2002 scorpion powered 18 classic.Which would give the most bang for the buck? Pricing is pretty much the same,Looking for reliability and turn key operation.:yes:

Mr X
02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Thinking of installing a Whipple supercharger or a Imco shotie on my 2002 scorpion powered 18 classic.Which would give the most bang for the buck? Pricing is pretty much the same,Looking for reliability and turn key operation.:yes:
I am very excited to hear that Whipple makes one for our Scorpions!!
I was not aware of that!

ChromeGorilla
02-10-2007, 12:58 PM
they sure do..... there is a fella in Jax that has a 23' Donzi deck boat with a whippled scorpion......:yes: :eek!:

Dr. Dan
02-10-2007, 01:45 PM
:eek!: Ted, there is a 28Zx Scorpion in Lake Winnie that got Whipples last season...he can run WOT at 105 I believe is what Culotta told me...it was a low 80 mph boat with the Scorpions Stock...now its Stupid fast... I can only look for his wake to try to catch him...

Last year during the run it was fun to watch..the water was real snotty most of the time so no one was able to blast too fast...but there were some moments like there always are...and he is quick!

Cool Stuff.

Some day I'll be fast....

Doc of Slow Boats To Winnie :bonk:

Mr X
02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
:eek!: Ted, there is a 28Zx Scorpion in Lake Winnie that got Whipples last season...he can run WOT at 105 I believe is what Culotta told me...it was a low 80 mph boat with the Scorpions Stock...now its Stupid fast... I can only look for his wake to try to catch him...
Last year during the run it was fun to watch..the water was real snotty most of the time so no one was able to blast too fast...but there were some moments like there always are...and he is quick!
Cool Stuff.
Some day I'll be fast....
Doc of Slow Boats To Winnie :bonk:

HOLY $*%#
You have seen the boat in person?

Dr. Dan
02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes, Its always the lead chase boat at the Lake Winnie Poker Run.... Hank owns it...he is a good Driver and seems to be conscientious about others in his area while boating...course that only matters for the few minutes that they are around him.

I have not personally seen the Motors with the Whipples on them...maybe this year I will be able to shoot some pics for ya...Winnie is a bit unusual in that we all fight for Dock Space after the Event...alot of people go to their own docks and meet at the Parties. So ya don't have alot of Dock Time at the Winnie Event to shoot pics... for the lucky ones who get dock space its short lived.

I can vouch for how fast it is though...I used to be able to run just a tad behind him off one of his Flanks...can't keep up now! So he picked up some Speed somewhere...

He has had the boat for I think 4 to 5 years...whenever they came out with that Scorpion Package...its a Redish Pink fade Paint Scheme... he always has his Daughter In Law in a "Vibrant Colored Bikini" which adds to the chase if ya catch my drift!

Always a Fun Poker Run... George and Bonnie do it right...last year the Food was incredible ..all home cooked by the guests kinda like the Fall Picnic at Lake George...very good eats.

You can fly in for it too...Manchester Airport is about an hour or so South of the Lake. Plenty of Boats(30+Boats at least)...the most 22 Classics and Black Hawks running together in any East Coast Rally. Over a dozen on average.....we make an awesome sight I can tell ya.

Doc of the Bay :spongebob

Mr X
02-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info Doc.
Is it possible I could call him? I would really like to talk with him.

Dr. Dan
02-11-2007, 07:07 AM
:wink: I will get his number and private mail it to you.... Sorry for the partial HiJack ...of the Thread Kraven!:bonk:

Doc :cool!:

DONZI
02-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Whipple link-
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1167

This one Dan ? (pic. below )

BUIZILLA
02-11-2007, 08:08 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

a ZXO with Scorp's and Whipple's???????? :yes: :yes:

damn..... why didn't I think of this

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dr. Dan
02-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Whipple link-
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1167
This one Dan ? (pic. below )

No Ken ...that's a 26 Zx and its a 496 Boat... Hanks Boat has the Scorpion on the Side of the Hull....

Doc :eek!:

oldandtired
02-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Even though nobody answered your original question, I think the consensus is whipple.

Rene

Cuda
02-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd go shorty. It may get you where you want to be without sacrificing the reliability of a stock engine.

realbold
02-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I'd go shorty. It may get you where you want to be without sacrificing the relieability of a stock engine.
:yes:

olredalert
02-12-2007, 09:44 AM
------Also agree with Cuda........Bill S

roadtrip se
02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
He tested the IMCO 2" with about eight gazillion prop combos and really didn't like the results.

I would PM him.

As for the whipple? Better buckle up...

BigGrizzly
02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I would go with the shorty. Don said he didn't like it but when i asked if he tried several props and gave the names he hadn't tried the ones I suggested. The thing is if you put a shorty on it and don't like it it is easily sold to anyone with a bravo drive however if you put a wipple on and have problems and want to unload it only that motor configuration will work without some big dollar changes.

Magicallbill
02-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Grizz;
As you know I have the exact same boat as Kraven's,'02 and all.
I want to leave mine all original,as there are only 4 or 5 made.

However, I am curious..What kind of increase would he see with either of the options you all are discussing?
I have never communicated with Kraven to know his speeds, but mine touches 73-74 on the Gaffrig. I don't own a GPS.

DonCig
02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
He tested the IMCO 2" with about eight gazillion prop combos and really didn't like the results.
I would PM him.
As for the whipple? Better buckle up...

It was not a case of like or dislike, and I found the perfect prop for the combination even if it did not follow the old convential wisdom or the mine is better philosphy.
It came down to value and benefits.
The Imco sets you back a few thousand, has a slower time to plane speed, has some tendancy to have less hold in tight turns.
It is my opinion that one is better off in spending the money on the engine if the outdrive currently provides the strength and handling attibutes that you like.

In hindsight I feel that I was better off adding horsepower and staying with a stock Bravo 1 drive.

Don

Madcow
02-13-2007, 05:57 AM
If all your going to do is bolt on a blower without beefing up the bottom end and valve train it won't last. If three grand is your budget, go with the shortie. Just my two cents.

scannerboat
02-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Really need more information. Do you have hyd steering? how does it run now? Labbed prop? Factory drive height? what are your goals? speed or rough water handling? Trade in value concerns?

KRAVEN
02-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry about not responding to the post, our lovely weather has kept me extremely busy.I am leaning towards the shorty just to keep it turn key.Currently running 5000 rpm,turning a labbed 25 Mirage @71gps.I am running the Martini Marine extended tabs and Halo drive shower which I am sure scrubbs off 1-2 mph.I too agree that having the 1st.Scorpion powered classic that keeping it stock will be worth more.Thanks for all the input.:confused:

scannerboat
02-16-2007, 06:17 PM
If the scorpion obliges with the extra 250rpms
And you will be happy with roughly 75+

Then the 2 or maybe even the 3" shortie will be good. Where is the propshaft or the cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the boat?

Mr X
02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Sorry about not responding to the post, our lovely weather has kept me extremely busy.I am leaning towards the shorty just to keep it turn key.Currently running 5000 rpm,turning a labbed 25 Mirage @71gps.I am running the Martini Marine extended tabs and Halo drive shower which I am sure scrubbs off 1-2 mph.I too agree that having the 1st.Scorpion powered classic that keeping it stock will be worth more.Thanks for all the input.:confused:
I agree, and you will see a 4-5 MPH increase, FACT.

DonCig
02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Does anybody on this website ever turn the sterring wheel left or right and make a U turn? LOL

Why doesn't Donzi just put on shorties as stock from the factory?

Could it be that somebody at the factory actually beleives that there is something more in life to a boat than wringing out the last mph of straight line speed.

Do boats realy make emeregency high speed turns? Or when did people forget to pee at the last stop?

Should boats be able to get on plane quickly?

Do manatees live in all bodies of water.

Do logs always float 14" under the surface; the same for rocks?

Why are trailers always built so that a stock outdive drags on the concrete going up the ramp.

Why do skegs and light poles like to mate.

Thoughts to contemplate.

Don