PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Boat Show

Carl C
02-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Is it worth going to? I see that Formula will be represented but will there be many other performance boats? Their web site, www.detroitboatshow.net , mainly lists the participating dealers but not the makes. :boat:

roadtrip se
02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
the "Detroit Pontoon and Metal Fishboat Show" because that is pretty much what dominates the floor.

Last time we went, there were a couple of Cigarettes, Fountains, and Sunsations there, but just a few.

Jill and I are a prospect for a Formula SS so we will be going down to dream.

Carl C
02-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks. RTSE. I remember going many years ago and it seemed that the closest thing to performance boats were the bass boats. I'll probably pass on it again.

realbold
02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Went 4 yrs ago and was dissapointed.

Ranman
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I'll be headed down there Saturday. It's not a "performance" show to say the least. In the last few years I've seen Nor-Tech, Black Thunder, Nordic, Sunsation, Cigarette and a couple of others but these boats are by far the minority. Still fun to check out though

The best thing about the boat show is they sell beer..Budweiser to be exact. :shades: We like to go down, sit on the back of boats, have a few beers and to check out the scenery. We also like to check out all the new cruiser glitz (31' Formula PC is a favorite). Wear shoes you can take off and on easily.

Once we have a good buzz going, we'll People Mover it to Greektown for some saganaki (Opa!) and gyros and then we'll head over to the Winterblast pub crawl deal.

Based on the amount of afternoon boozin' goion on, there's no doubt it's a big room full of boaters. Good way to warm up a cold Detroit afternoon.

gold-n-rod
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
the "Detroit Pontoon and Metal Fishboat Show" because that is pretty much what dominates the floor.
Last time we went, there were a couple of Cigarettes, Fountains, and Sunsations there, but just a few.
Jill and I are a prospect for a Formula SS so we will be going down to dream.

Your observation exactly described the '07 show.

Nice Formula display, once Cig, 3 Haha's and that's it for the go fast boats.

We did spend a lot of time drooling over the South Bay 'toon boat with the 525!!! :eek!: Rep claimed 67 mph! Fortunately, I have better things to drop $87.5K on!

They also had the old raceboat "Such Crust IV" on display. She originally had twin Allison V12's and ran about 190 back in the day (mid 60's) Cool to get up close and personal with her!!

Number of displays was down, sq footage was down (lots of empty space was fenced off with curtains), number of lookers was down. Lots of enthusiasm from the reps, though (a requirement, I suppose).

One thing I hate the most...... the hacks selling "miracle cloths", cookware, juicers and other non-boat ****.... grrr.

Best part of the day? It's tradition for my bud and I to end our trip with a visit to Hooters. Always a day brightener for this old fart!!!

That's your report for '07. How many days until the ice is off the lakes??