PDA

View Full Version : Equipping a 18 classic

osur866
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Thinking of ording a new 18 classic with the mx 6.2 mpi & bravo package, does anyone know what gear ratio comes standard in the bravo? How about the prop size and style. Any other recomended options I should think about? Thanks Steve

RedDog
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Standard equipment should be nice as is.

I would want / specify an aluminum trailer if getting new.

Drive ratio on a Bravo will be 1.5. I would think a 23" or 25" 3 blade Mirage Plus will come on it and should be a good start. May consider a Turbo prop after you take delivery

osur866
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks Reddog, trailer not really concerned with the boat will probably only be trailered less than 25 miles a year and spent most of the time on a lift. What would be the difference between the miarge and tubro props as far as handling on the 18?

osur866
02-07-2007, 01:18 AM
What kind of speeds could I expect out of a set up like that and how about the handling quirks cold be expected? Looking for a run on anything fuel, dependable, stable, 70 mph rocket.:) What do you guys think?

RedDog
02-07-2007, 05:44 AM
You should have a very dependable, close to or at 70 mph ride right out of the box - once you learn to drive it. Seat time will overcome handling issues and give you top speed. Don't expect to be able to just put the throttle down and go 70. Donzi Classics require a learning curve.

smokediver
02-07-2007, 07:23 AM
last tango had that exact set up ... maybe he will chime in here .. if not , give him a shout ..

osur866
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah, have read some of the posts of ole' yeller and the handling issues he had figuring his 22 out, never had a classic but sure look foward to learning and playing with one though. Thought about the 350 mag but if I'm gonna place an order for one might as well go with the 6.2 added power no need for high octane, and with the bravo shouldn't have any issues there I hope.

The Hedgehog
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Go with the 6.2 and Bravo. More chances to upgrade in the future if you want. It should be a bullet proof 70 mph rocket out of the box. If you want to throw a shorty on later and you can pick up even more speed without sacrificing reliability. As for the Bravo, well I am putting around 600hp through one on a 6,500 lbs boat. Last time the drive oil was changed we were not making much metal. You would be hard pressed to break one with a 6.2 and light boat.

After doing some homework, I ordered a new 383 mag/Bravo package for the X-18 we are redoing.

Last Tango
02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I ordered my Classic 18 with the MX6.2 MPi and Bravo 1 combination. Drive ratio is 1.5. Mirage Plus 25P came with it. However, the prop just really seemed too big because the tach had trouble going over 4600RPM. Max RPM is rated at 5250. So, I changed to a Mirage Plus 23P which seemed to me to be just perfect. I did some prop tesing with Big Grizzly and ended up keeping the Mirage Plus 23P. 70MPH no problem once you learn how to drive the boat. No matter what your prior experience with boats, you will need lots of seat time and practice to become a proficient and comfortable driver at max warp speed. It is the Kawasaki Ninja of all the Donzi's.
I got a depth meter, hour meter, and trim tabs as well, No windshield. Grab bar is far more useful. Windshield just directs more air and bugs into your face. The trim tabs are nearly useless since the boat does everything fine without them. They looked nice on the boat. I tried using them when going about 25-30MPH to keep the boat on plane. It worked, but I found very little reason to go that speed. Comfortable cruising speed was 50-60MPH You will use the drive trim to control porpoising, turning at high speeds, and fine tuning the hull for maximum speeds.
Not a good ski boat since it doesn't want to go slower than about 35MPH on plane. Also it is hard to get into and out of from the water. I got red carpeting with the boat, but never used it except for show.
Like the Classic 16, you ride ON this boat rather than IN this boat. Classic 22 is more IN, but has lot's more freeboard.
All three have small cockpits, and nominal storage. All three can handle any water to end up in.
Classic 18 always gathers a crowd no matter where it is. Like a '65 Cobra, except nobody ever asks if it is real or a kit. They just tell you how pretty it is and how they always wanted one.

Vegas Classic
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Don't expect to be able to just put the throttle down and go 70. Donzi Classics require a learning curve.

Very good advice coming from a new classic 18 owner. I've driven lots of boats but only had my 18 out twice and it's quite apparent that it's a whole different animal, in the best of ways of course. It seems to me that most people just see an 18ft boat but the classic is so much more than that. I can't wait to get more seat time and become "one" with it. :)

DonCig
02-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Very good advice coming from a new classic 18 owner. I driven lots of boats and I've only had my 18" out twice and it's quite apparent that's a whole different animal, in the best of ways of course. It seems to me that most people just see an 18ft boat but the classic is so much more than that. I can't wait to get more seat time and become "one" with it. :)

ViVa Las Vegas!

osur866
02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Last Tango, what kind of rpm did you turn with the 23p prop?

hyperlite98
02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
hey, I used to run a Mirage Plus 23P on a 350 mpi, I switch to a Ballistic 25p, and though not as fast out of the hole, I found stability was better in chop and was a faster prop.

cheers,
Jeff

Last Tango
02-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Just a needles width over 5000 RPM, still a little safety valve room in the RPM before hitting the rev limiter at 5250.

KRAVEN
02-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm running the 6.2 scorpion with 150/1 bravo Xz drive and turning a labbed 25 mirage plus.I turn aprox.5000 rpm and running 71-72 gps.If I remove my drive shower and extended trim tabs I should see 73-74.Cruise speed 50-52 at 3200 rpm.:wink:

BigGrizzly
02-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Hyper that is understandable with the M+ with yet another prop you can have the speed and stability. question I have is with the M+ was it unstable at the slower speed that the ballistic goes?

hyperlite98
02-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi BigGrizzly,

most of the stability problems I had was due to over trimming to get the increase in mph with the M+. Though in a chop the ballistic seems to keep the boat more level than the M+ (without trim).

scannerboat
02-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Thinking of ording a new 18 classic with the mx 6.2 mpi & bravo package, does anyone know what gear ratio comes standard in the bravo? How about the prop size and style. Any other recomended options I should think about? Thanks Steve
Get the full external hyd steering, if it does not come with it. The Bravo1 1.5 : 1 will work fine however a 1.65:1 will be a little faster on top with a larger pitch prop If you are into a little prop testing to dial it in.