PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage 12 to 14 months

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-06-2007, 04:58 PM
OK, I turn here for true knowledge as where I often get ideas and speculation on other websites, I need some advice DONZI friends. Boat scenario, pair of 2003 496HO's in a 33ZX.
They were winterized by me June 2006 before I went overseas, I would have started them in March 07 as I always do, BUT this week I found out I may go to IRAQ for 12 months in country (soon), so I certainly do not want to leave them as is for 18 months.
I thought of starting them and running the tank dry at idle for a couple hours to help lube the internals and then rewinterize.

VA: typically mild winters yet the last two days saw low 20's.

They are both full of fresh fluids now.
The batteries are new and need all their power to raise the hatch and I have a built in charger, so if they drain that will not be an issue after I plug the boat in.

Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Bryan Tuvell

Pismo
02-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Lots of fuel stabilizer, run them to make sure it gets through everything, run the tanks low so you can put in a near full tank of fresh gas upon return, full charge on the batteries, leave everything open so lots of air circulation and you're off.......

BigGrizzly
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
If you have put stabilizer in already than no need. If not than do it and fog the engines also. I would hesitate to put new fuel in it because your state is on winter gas and has been since October. Winter fuels have deicers in them and extra alcohol in it. The fogging is the important part. If you can't get any fogging spray to do this than pull the plugs and shoot about an ounce of oil in each cylinder and crank it over, with plugs still out, only a couple of revolutions to spread the oil. then put the plugs back in and your done. Now take your time going there but hurry back SAFE and sound. I refuse to look at another wall with friends of mine names on it! If you need more info just call, I am always here for you. Its a lot of work but you love that boat and I want it perfect when you take me for a ride in it.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the great data you two, well, Big Navy spoke today, I am the first alternate to go to IRAQ, there were 6 officers in my designator to pick from, the primary pick holds my life in his hands, I hope he is able to pass the exams and ship, I wish him well, I know him personally, if not I will go.

So, as a precaution I will prep the boat next week vice going to sea with my ship, lots of stuff to do before you go in country.

There has to be more things to do or consider for a year lay up... ???

Grizz you are the man, we will talk one day next week.

Bryan

Mr X
02-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Bryan,
go buy a 5 gallon marine fuel tank, like used on an outboard.
Load it up with "Stabil" and premium fuel per the directions on the bottle.. Disconnect your engines from the main fuel tank in the boat. Connect up the 5 gallon tank and run the engine(s) for 10 minutes on the hose, Buy the Mercury engine fog and spray it in the air intake untill it smokes from the tail pipes. Shut it off when it starts to smoke heavily.
Pull the batteries out.
When you get back, dump the fuel in the main tank. Buy two new batteries and change the sparkplugs.

I hope you do not have to go.

Ted

fasttrucker
02-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Iam having a fuel cleaning coming to flush my tank.$250 ??? They filter the fuel and clean out the stuff in the tank.My donzi is a 1998 and it has never been flushed/cleaned.Since the updated/refreshed 605hp motor is going in I dont want to have any problems.Good luck.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
F-truck, sounds great. Best of luck with the fresh motor.

We hit sunny 40's today, I am going to wait until I am activated (if I am) to do mine, if I am not she will be started Mid March.
Take care.
Bryan

PS, Thanks TED.

LKSD
02-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Damn, I thought we were going to meet on the water this year for sure.. :(

Everything pretty much has been covered already with the fogging & stabilizing & battery maint.. I would however also run Marine Rv antifreeze thru the open side of the cooling system as well.. It will help to keep everything lubed, pliable & happy in there..

If you definitley end up going over there I hope you have a safe assignment.. :boat: Jamie / Lakeside

realbold
02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
With todays E10 gas the rules have changed. I would drain the tank and use it in your car before you go.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-17-2007, 08:04 AM
JAMIE, I will know mid march about my situation. Mark your calendar for 19 May, it is a poker run that my marina hosts for charity, we had a great HRPA showing last year, 50 or so boats, come on down....
PM me your email address.

Oh, the good news of the week was the leak on my drive was an incoreect torque on that center nut on the back of the drive, so I will pull her down next weekand check it..
Bryan

donzi33zx@cox.net

LKSD
02-17-2007, 09:51 AM
JAMIE, I will know mid march about my situation. Mark your calendar for 19 May, it is a poker run that my marina hosts for charity, we had a great HRPA showing last year, 50 or so boats, come on down....
PM me your email address.
Oh, the good news of the week was the leak on my drive was an incoreect torque on that center nut on the back of the drive, so I will pull her down next weekand check it..
Bryan
donzi33zx@cox.net

Cool.. Keep us posted.. :) I have it marked down (time permitting).. My shop is busy year round, but the work schedule is usually insane for the spring rush until just after memorial day weekend.. I checked out the HRPA site & kristin is looking at some of the places to stay down there incase we can get out.. Worst case scenario if you get to stay state side we can try to meet up on the bay in the summer.. I know we are looking forward to meeting you guys.. :) I know I dont want my boat to be a monument in my shop.. lol.. :D Jamie

My email Address is : jw@LakesideRestorations.com