PDA

View Full Version : ZX Engine hatch hinge

DON-Z-26ZX
02-06-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm trying to locate the manufacture of the engine hatch hinge for the 99 26ZX. I've misplaced (just plain lost) half of one hinge, I've looked at West Marine, & Boaters World, no luck. I've contacted Donzi, but have not gotten a call back. Does anyone know who makes these hinges? I really want to put my hatch back on, but of course, I need both hinges, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Donzigo
02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Boat manufacturers use hatches and other parts from Perko or whichever other parts subcontractor that would meet the quality & cost profile they are trying to hit. Cheap boats need cheap parts and expensive boats need well made more costly parts. If these parts aren't available in the current list of available, that manufacturer either makes that parts himself or subcontracts it to be made by an outside small vendor. Those hinges probably fit into that category. In so far as they needed to be the perfect size for that application. So, you probably won't find them at West Marine, etc.

There is a small parts manufacturer close to me, which will make your part, just by sending it to him and he will reproduce it, right here in St. Pete, Florida. I have replaced my back hinges (formally 2) with four hinges. I had Derrick at JTR reproduce what Donzi had made, with four much more substantial hinges. They are stainless and very well made. They are also not cheap.

Derrick's father and uncle owned this business for many years and made primarily fuel tanks for the sailing industry in and around St. Petersburg. They made me a fuel tank and it fit perfect. Derrick & his wife own the place now. He had worked in a white collar job for years and when his father & uncle wanted to sell out, he & Dee Dee decided to come home and do what he did as a young man......work with his hands. He is quite a creative person and can do anything, if it's out of metal. However, if are looking for a "get it done, and get it done cheap" shop, don't bother calling him. He'll just courteously tell you to call someone else.

J.T.R. Industries
Gulfport, Florida
Derrick & Dee Dee
727-321-6321

DON-Z-26ZX
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you very much for the input, it is very obvious that Donzi had these hinges "custom built" for the ZX. I've had no luck finding anything close to the size & quality of the hinge, I suppose one could say that it goes along with the quality they put in the entire boat. I brought the one I have into work & had our machinist look at it, & he is going to make me one today. I, of course will have to polish it...LOL... if I want it to be polished like the other one....I will keep the information you posted, perhaps I will need their services in the future...again, thanks...

LKSD
02-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Give me a call, I may be able to help you. I will need your hin # though to try to look it up.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628