PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Question

Roadrunner
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
This fall I purchased a 2003 22 classic and just know found the Donzi registry. My boat is powered by a 496 375 hp. engine. My best speed is 61 mph @ 4800 rpm with a Turbo 14.25x23 prop with the trim tabs all the way up and the drive as far up as possible, dose this seem slow. My second question this I'm getting a beep beep from signal under dash saying drive is low on oil, has anyone had this problem?

Picture 11/23/06 Beaver Lake AR

Pismo
02-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Is that GPS speed?, ignore the speedo. Seems a little slow. The 22 does like trim but maybe not all the way to the limit tho, a little less I have found. I assume you had your switchable exhaust open. Do you have mufflers in the tailpipes, most 22s do, they will cost you a small bit. Did it settle in nicely/smoothly or was it wild? You need smooth to get speed. Get a GPS, verify your tach. Any extra weight on board? Bottom looks clean. Should be able to pull at least another 5mph. Pour some drive oil in the resevoir mounted on top of the engine to stop the beep. Nice looking boat. Congrats they are great. You can convert to a 496 HO 425hp with a new cam and new ECM.

Carl C
02-04-2007, 07:35 AM
The 496 HO's (425 HP) are running low to mid 70s. 61 seems slow to me. It takes time to learn to drive these boats so that's probably part of the problem. Use some positive trim and you'll need a gps. Good luck and welcome to the best boating site on the web!

BigGrizzly
02-04-2007, 08:43 AM
With that prop, that boat, and those RPMs the speed sounds about correct however you should be around 66@ 5000RPMs. What you think id full trim may not be after practice. I can now drive my boat 3->4 MPH faster than I could when I first set it up. What altitude are you at? This also makes a difference.

Roadrunner
02-04-2007, 01:29 PM
The 61mph was with a hand held gps, speedometer in boat said 67. Is the any way to have these gauges calibrated to get a more acurate reading? The guages in boat are Gaffig (see picture). As for the drive oil it is at the full level, is there only one sensor in the resivor, or is there one the the drive too. It makes me a little nervious to run boat with signal unpluged.

yeller
02-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Your rpm seems low. You should be able to spin that prop another 200~300 rpm at sea level.
To repeat BigGrizzly's question, what altitude are you at?

How did you determine the beeping is related to drive oil? I have the same warning system as you and for the life of me I can't recall any way of telling what the beeping is for without connecting to the engine computer.

yeller
02-04-2007, 01:50 PM
The 61mph was with a hand held gps, speedometer in boat said 67. Is the any way to have these gauges calibrated to get a more acurate reading?
I don't know if the gauges can be calibrated. Maybe someone else knows, but it should be more accurate than that. You may have something in the pickup or tube causing a restriction. I'd remove the tube at the speedo and at the drive and blow the tube and pickup with compressed air and see if that helps.

Cuda
02-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't know if the gauges can be calibrated. Maybe someone else knows, but it should be more accurate than that. You may have something in the pickup or tube causing a restriction. I'd remove the tube at the speedo and at the drive and blow the tube and pickup with compressed air and see if that helps.
Actually, I think a restriction would make it read lower.

Your speed sounds low for that engine for sure. I can get 59.4 on gps with a 1982 454/330 completely stock, turning a transmission and a TRS drive with no trim at all, two people and full tank of gas.

Roadrunner
02-04-2007, 02:37 PM
In the manual it says continous signal is low oil pressure or high temp. and alternating signal is low drive oil. There is also a list of signals in the smartcraft manual, which includes low oil reserve, low water pressure, water in fuel, engine over speed, engine malfunction. and oil pump fault. The is a smartcraft sticker on the drive unit, but there are no gauges that say anything abou smartcraft.

yeller
02-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Actually, I think a restriction would make it read lower.Of course. I was thinking backwards again. :bonk: :bonk:

In the manual..... Ahh, yes....manuals and instructions.....I have to start reading those someday. :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

RickR
02-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Is your GPS set to Statute or Nautical MPH????

zimm17
02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Is your GPS set to Statute or Nautical MPH????

Rick, good idea, but most GPS's say "KTS" when it's in nautical miles per hour.

I would hook up a scanner to see what alarm that is. Does seem slow. I was running 68mph with a 385hp 454 and two different 25P 3 blade props (turbo and a mirage+).

With the boat off- go full throttle then go back to the engine and make sure it's opening the throttle butterfly all the way up. 4800 rpm with a 23p is low. When all else fails go for a leak down test and a tuneup (new plugs etc).

John W
02-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Nope there is no way to calibrate the Speedo, you can buy theGaffrig gps speedo that will match. I have found that my speedo is off about 5mph from my gps at the top end and the thing doesnt even get off the pin till 35mph, It does look nice though. I am running a 4 bladed hydromotive,stable, has a cool rooster tail effect, I run 72 mph WOT at 5000. With me and fuel and a sixpack on board.
JW
496HO, 2004 22 C

Carl C
02-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Speedos are always a little optimistic. Mine reads about 4 mph high on the top end. It's good for impressing the passengers.:wink:

undertaker
02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Nope there is no way to calibrate the Speedo, you can buy theGaffrig gps speedo that will match. I have found that my speedo is off about 5mph from my gps at the top end and the thing doesnt even get off the pin till 35mph, It does look nice though. I am running a 4 bladed hydromotive,stable, has a cool rooster tail effect, I run 72 mph WOT at 5000. With me and fuel and a sixpack on board.
JW
496HO, 2004 22 C

JW I am sure you mentioned this before but what pitch Hydro you running??? been thinking about maybe purchasing one. Would call it my wife prop:) :) . 72 mph is that GPS or Speedo...Just Curious:)

Undertaker:convertib

scannerboat
02-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Try a 25 mirage or mirage + you are on the rev limiter. If you need props to try let me know.

22billyzx
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
My 22 zx has a 454..non-mag (300 hp) maybe a little more. I am running a 24 4 blade bravo one prop. I`m seeing 62 at 4800 rpm,so i would think the mag would run faster. Maybe try a different prop....say a 25?

Pismo
02-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Scannerboat is right, you are just stuck on the rev limiter, didn't realize it was set so low, need a bigger prop.