PDA

View Full Version : Z25 and the OMC/Ford 460

yembo77
02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Donzi people,

First, I'm a performance car guy who does his own work. I build engines and do my own restorations. I've also grown up on the water, but in a runabout or family cuddy. I'm now at the age where I can buy something with a little performance and style on the water, and my God, what better brand to sum up those two elements than a Donzi. I'm in love but have some questions.

With all of the boats I or my family have owned, we've always had Mercruiser with chevrolet blocks. I'm a chevy guy myself as well and would be berated for years by friends and family if they found I had a Ford engine in my boat. Now I know Ford has a legacy in racing, but due to my allegiance to the General, I must cast them off. Sadly, most of the Z25's I'm looking at as a possible purchase, I'm finding OMC with the Ford 460. I've read some posts from owners running this setup, but I'd really like to hear about this engine and outdrive and it's legacy. I know Alphas and Bravos, but nothing about OMC. I'm in love with the Z25, but if this engine is a problem I would look at a similarly priced 22 Classic, running a merc and small or big block. I absolutely desire the late model 22ZX, but my wallet cannot justify the 23-30K price range. I'd like to cap the cost at 20K and because of this my search has come down to the Z25 or 22 Classic. I realize I'm not an owner, but would love some feedback from former owners and Donzi enthusiasts.

Thanks,
Matt Yembo
95 Impala SS
70 Chevelle SS
99 Tahoe Z56
95 Seapro Citation

98shovel
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
matt
ive been having the same problem im a gm guy and run a 22 460 omc set up the king cobra can take the power just keep up on maint. and cable ajustments.looked at doing a conversion to bbc and bravo and built a 530 and a bravo then stayed 460 my motor should 650/700 hp when done and dynod the 460 does have some good things about it if you can get over the blue oval part and their is lots of good speed parts for them just not as much and a bit more money

MOP
02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
The 460 was hooked to the King Cobra drive which has proven its self to be stronger then the Bravo, it is tough to find much in the way of perf goodies for the 460. You might be able to scrounge up an OMC to Chevy bell housing and have your cake and eat it!

Phil

98shovel
02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
mop
theirs just as much for the 460 as bbc just more money and nobody in the marine buss. will talk to ya because it not a merc

Barry Eller
02-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Try a Volvo-Penta shop. The OMC King Cobra is mostly Volvo. I use a OMC/Volvo shop here in the Pensacola area. Parts haven't been a problem with my outdrive, however engine, electrical, fuel system parts have jumped in price after that SeaDoo maker from up north bought OMC. Solution? I buy aftermarket parts now. I had a ignition problem, so I installed new MSD distributor and module. Works better than original equipment.

yembo77
02-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Well it's good to know the OMC Ford is at least not a lemon setup. I can't imagine it is, despite my preference for chevrolet, but Mercruiser has surely had it's fair share of let downs in my family. Boats and reliability are just not good bed-fellows, most liekyl due to the harsh elements but mainly lack of regular use. Florida people probably have it best, but it's all speculation.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not completely against the Ford because I like the boats so much. I see a Z/ZX/or classic in my near future. Now just to find the perfect one.

Thanks,
Matt

98shovel
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
matt grew up with donzi never owned one until my 22 classic wasnt even looking for one wene i found mine was thinking of another flat or jet.
since i bought mine never looked back will always own at least one when i take it some where it is usually the only one and draws most the atension