PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Ride Problems

pokster
01-31-2007, 05:18 AM
I am looking at buying a 22 Classic and took one for a test drive this summer. It handled great at 50 but when trying to go slow it would rock and scare my wife. Any way to get a 22 to handle going 25 to 30 mph?
Trim Tabs?
Prop change?
Please help since I don't want to look at other boats, I love Donzi but would like the wife to come along.:confused:

Cuda
01-31-2007, 10:52 AM
By rocking, do you mean porpoising, which is a front to back movement?

yeller
01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
pokster, here's some reading for you.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44610

I absolutely hated my boats handling when I 1st got it. Took at least 20hrs before I could drive feeling somewhat competent and 40hrs before I was able to regularly pull up the tabs. After one season and 55hrs use its a totally different boat now. All the handling traits that are mentioned in the above link are still there, it's just that now I know how to set the tabs/drive to overcome it.

A lot of people will say..."no tabs, don't need em". I'm the opposite. Drop the tabs and all your handling issues will be solved. Raise them a bit at a time as you get more comfortable. When you get more seat time, you'll find that you'll be using less and less tabs to correct situations.

Get the boat. :yes:

pokster
01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Thank you for all the replys. The rocking is side to side.
The boat we tested, I don't think the tabs or drive was working right, it was doing strange things. I also know it would be nice to have indicators to know if you were going up or down with the drives & tabs and where they were. The boat we tested was a 1996 with 365hp with Bravo Drive.
And you are right it is my first boat with trim tabs. So I think part of it was getting use to it. I was brought up with racing outboards and know how to jack them up and make them go. But inboards are new to me. It looks like I will need a few hours with a inboard to figure out how to handle it.
Do you think changing the pitch of Prop would help in low in handling? Any ideas of handling or things that work would be greatly helpful.
Any ideas how to get my wife to get back into a Donzi with me?? :bonk:

Cuda
01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
What prop are you running now?