PDA

View Full Version : running problem

smokediver
01-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I took my boat out and it ran great on the way to the beach . was there for about 3 hours and then while i was running home the engine would die . i could restart it , get on plane , then it would die again ... and so on ... even flushing on the trailer , it would die ... i took off the air cleaner , the choke is fine ... i don't get it .. put on a new water seperator ... same problem ... it is a 383 with an electric fuel pump ... any ideas ? thanks in advance..

pmreed
01-29-2007, 12:39 PM
If it's a carb motor, check your fuel filter(s). Sounds like like it's clogged, and you're running off the fuel in the bowl. It'll slowly fill up and you can run again for a few seconds until you empty the bowl. Had that happen on a 165 Mercruiser many moons ago. That motor had a tiny filter on top of the fuel pump. Had to keep taking it off and blowing it off with my scuba air to get home(from 20 miles out off Daytona).
Phil
O yeah, it ran fine on the way out.

Cuda
01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
What brand fuel filter did you use?

DAULEY
01-29-2007, 02:02 PM
check your pickup tube in tank sounds like the screen is cloged

smokediver
01-29-2007, 04:38 PM
i guess i will check that stuff , thanks ... i am using a merc. fuel/water seperator and an edelbrock in line fuel filter ... the inline filter is about a year old ...

smokediver
01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
had to post one more ... i didn't like the number 666 !!!

Morgan's Cloud
01-30-2007, 06:54 AM
had to post one more ... i didn't like the number 666 !!! :eek!: :eek!:
Oh , BTW ...
When a problem like this comes up , I always advise checking the fuel tank vent first. Make sure that no corrosion has blocked the screen mesh causing a vaccuum in the tank as the fuel level falls.
Might not be your problem but it's the easiest and cheapest thing to do 1st

mrfixxall
01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
had to post one more ... i didn't like the number 666 !!!

i assume you have a holly? if so it sounde like you may have a piece of crap in your needle and seat and may be dumping raw fuel into the engine causing it to die....when you have the flame arrestor off turn the ignition switch on and look into the carb to see if theirs fuel poaring into it..

smokediver
01-30-2007, 01:50 PM
i have an edelbrock .. it works for me ... i am also going to check the anti siphon valve inline from the tank to the water seperator .. i will let you know tomorrow !!! thanks for all the help !

98shovel
01-30-2007, 03:00 PM
run the boat on flusher remove flame arrester wene engine starts to die work throttle at carb while looking down the throat u shuold see to streems of fuel from the acc. pump nozzel keep feathering until eng. picks up or u run out of fuel in the carb this will tell u if a fuel issue then check fuel press with a gauge before u dissasemble. intire boat to find its a electrical problem

mrfixxall
01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
i have an edelbrock .. it works for me ... i am also going to check the anti siphon valve inline from the tank to the water seperator .. i will let you know tomorrow !!! thanks for all the help !

I dont know if edlbroch uses thease but check anyways, in the carter afb style card mercury has a little screen over the inlet of the needle and seats..they get plugged up and wont let fuel through them....this may be your problem..

98shovel
01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
dont forget about the little bronze ones that always end up in the **** can

Cuda
01-31-2007, 08:20 AM
run the boat on flusher remove flame arrester wene engine starts to die work throttle at carb while looking down the throat u shuold see to streems of fuel from the acc. pump nozzel keep feathering until eng. picks up or u run out of fuel in the carb this will tell u if a fuel issue then check fuel press with a gauge before u dissasemble. intire boat to find its a electrical problem
I don't reccomend this procedure. Looking down into the carb while running could be hazardous to your health if it backfires.

smokediver
01-31-2007, 06:11 PM
found it ! the purple wire with the yellow stripe !!! i kept most of the items off the merc motor and put them on the 383 . the wire somehow came off . it runs from the oil pressure sensor to the fuel pump . when there is no oil pressure , it shuts off the fuel pump ... i don't know how that wire came off but i am happy that is all there was !!!

98shovel
01-31-2007, 08:08 PM
glad u didnt tear the whole boat apart wiring problem diognose before disasembly always pays off