PDA

View Full Version : New mirror for the engine hatch, where do I get one?

FISHIN SUCKS
01-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Need a little help here....the original mirror in the hatch (under the sun pad) is peeling and looking nasty :puke: on my 24' Blackwidow and it is time to find a replacement. I don't know that I want to replace it with what the original was (not sure what it is anyway) just to have it peel again. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated:biggrin.: :yes:

tom

joel3078
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Tom,
Got mine done last year when the rear interior got redone. It was about 350 bucks extra (over and above the thousands for the work they were already doing) to do the mirror. www.gelderts.com - Scott is my contact there. Of course this is in Minnesota close to me. They specialize in redoing pontoons and make oem seats. They also do lots of custom work and their website needs updating like everyone elses. From what I recall, they used 3/8" silvered polycarbonate. It's a hand made custom deal of course. They do nice work but nothing is cheap there either. Give em a buzz and they may know someone in your area to do yours.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey Joel, how'ya been my friend? I didn't realize you had yours done as well, looks beautiful. Are you sure 3/8" (as in thickness):confused: , that seems awfully heavy....'cause you know what is/was in our boats originally is not that thick (although I don't know what it is either). Is yours screwed through the hatch into the sunpad like orginal or how is it anchored in place? Let me know, thanx,
tom

joel3078
01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Doing well on this end Tom. Last year was devoted to motorcycles and Sturgis for vacation. Last fall I had all new seals and bellows put in the KC outdrive. Keeping the boat now vs. selling it. Should get some time on it this year.

The original mirror I think is 1/8" and the new one is a lil thicker, probably 3/16 rather than 3/8. Typo on my end. Everthing is a frozen wasteland here in MN so I can't confirm/measure till April. Mirror is attatched via original method - screwed into back of sun pad deck. My old one was cracked in many places but never had a problem with the silver backing peeling. Hi heat will cause the backing to peel so keep that in mind. The cracking on mine was from the original owner staying on the up switch too long and the push cylinder kept on going farthur than it should - result crack orginating from the cylinder clevis mount area on the mirror. Too for up or too for down will cause the mirror to break. There are no limit switches on the cylinder.

Take care and be careful dancing on the deck of yours.

Boatclinic
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I can build you one and ship it to you, Do you want clear mirror or colored, can do in 1/4" or 1/8", It's what I stock. Adhesion is with good ol 3M VHB Tape or can predrill holes, I polish the edges so it won't craze and heat should not be a problem, All I need is a paper pattern, drop it in the mail.
Funny you Mention Minnesota as I moved to Fl. 13 years ago from Grand Rapids Mn. Had the Boat Bug real bad and now I am addicted.
Give me a hollar Eh?
Don
www.Boatclinic.net

ChromeGorilla
02-09-2007, 11:25 PM
hey fishin sucks..... for what its worth, boatclinic does AWESOME work no matter what the project. I have always been impressed with what they put out. from run of the mill stuff to full on custom projects Don and his crew do very nice work IMO..... just sharing what I have seen from them personally.....

FISHIN SUCKS
02-11-2007, 08:48 AM
I can build you one and ship it to you, Do you want clear mirror or colored, can do in 1/4" or 1/8", It's what I stock. Adhesion is with good ol 3M VHB Tape or can predrill holes, I polish the edges so it won't craze and heat should not be a problem, All I need is a paper pattern, drop it in the mail.
Funny you Mention Minnesota as I moved to Fl. 13 years ago from Grand Rapids Mn. Had the Boat Bug real bad and now I am addicted.
Give me a hollar Eh?
Don
www.Boatclinic.net
Hey Don, sorry for the delay, I finally got around to getting the mirror out to see what it is. It's an 1/8" panel that measure 78 1/2" x 38 1/4" overall outside dimensions. This panel was screwed in originally and the screws go right into the underside of the sunpad.....sooo I guess I need to drill it. Let me know how much and shipping if you don't mind. My address is 6836 Hosler Road, Leo, IN, 46765. Thanx Don. Oh, also Joel was saying you might be able to the vinyl headrests with the 'DONZI' embroidery in the back of them, is that right? I am having some more of the interior redone and the guy doing it won't do it with the embroidery for proprietary reasons. Let me know on that too if you don't mind.

Thanx as well Chromey, I appreciate the input:) .

Boatclinic
02-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the reply, did you want clear regular mirror or colored.
Give me a call at 904-771-8170 8 to 6 ( Eastern Time) leave for lunch around 11:30 to 1 or so if I can get it!:bonk: or you can E-Mail me directly at Boatclinic@aol.com
Would like to discuss it a little more detail, can give you a price also
Thank You!
Don
Thanks Chrome Gorrilla for the recommendation, appreciate it!:wink:

ThunderMarineDave
02-17-2007, 10:02 AM
For anyone who needs embroidered logos, my embroidery shop has the logos saved and will put them onto marine vinyl (or?) - just contact me and I'll set it up for you. They charged me under $100 to do all three (two headrests and larger logo on front of sunpad), but it might be cheaper next time (as I had to buy special thread, and there is lots left...)

See pics in thread "shiny new interior (almost)"

-David
THUNDER MARINE
Mercury, Volvo, Yamaha
800-984-3098
727-501-3183 cell