PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow Pricing Problem

motoxmom94@yahoo.com
01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
We own a 92 24zx Black Widow, the problem we are having is finding pricing on it. You see if you look around for this boat, on the net, there all are white and red. Our boat is white and emerald green, with matching interior. Which I can only assume is rare as the only picture I found of it was on here and it turned out to be our boat, the guy we bought it from had it on here. If anyone has any ideas for me I am all ears.

Cuda
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
I doubt the color will make any difference. The price will vary a lot depending on the condition of the boat. I think the BW's are sweet looking.

I've never seen a Minx with the same color combo as mine either.

Sagbay32
01-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I have always liked the lines on the 24 Black Widow. The pricing range seems to be between 13k on the low end to 20k on the high. Although there is one out there for 28k. The norm is 18k for a low hour freshwater boat.

Mike

joel3078
01-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I've got the one that WAS for sale for 28K. It's no longer for sale. You will see some ads still out there but I told the broker to pull them. The broker I found out later is pretty much a dolt. But hey, thanks for the free advertising for a year! I found an old master mechanic at a local dealer to me (R&R marine) do all the bellows and seals on my King Cobra outdrive. We had a long talk about the boat and then both agreed that I should keep it. We will probably never find a boat in this good of original condition unless it's been rebuilt. We even did a compression check this fall and it was 150 or 155 pounds in all 8 cylinders and the engine is stock original and very clean. It also has brand new trailer, cockpit snap cover, and brand new extra wide storage cover so gelcoat on hull sides wont fade. We just got back from the Minneapolis boat show. To buy this boat new would be around 75K. It simply cannot be replaced and is a very rare boat. So now you know why it's no longer for sale. I'd love to meet you guys at AOTH but my vacation time, budget, etc. doesn't allow it. I spend too much money and time on 2 wheels vs. boating.

18K seems to be the average price for the 24' boat vs. the 30 footer. 18K is what is shown in KBB and NADA used boat price guides. These prices are just guides and we all know that for a 17 year old boat it all depends on the condition of the boat. Average boat will still float and may run well but that's about it. Typically there will be engine and/or outdrive issues, gelcoat will be way faded, seats, cushions etc will be stained, rips, seam tears, etc. and there may be electrical problems. Most of these boats are saltwater so finding a freshwater only one is very desirable. Also find out if your boat is a Z24 or a real black widow. If it's a real one, it will have black widow on the dashboard, aft hull sides, and decals by the back seats. If not, then it's a Z-24. Teal seems to be more rare than Red, and I have only seen 1 yellow one so far, but it was not a real black widow - it was a Z-24.

Bottom line is they are hard to sell, It's a love it or hate it look with the round hatch and windows. You will have to find that one buyer that absolutely loves the boat and then money is not such an issue. Also realize that a non educated buyer will not appreciated the story, history, legend etc. behind these boats. They are very heavy and not super fast. 56-62 will be your max gps speed on a stock engine. However they have a very nice cuddy, handle waves with a breeze, high dry ride, and are super easy to drive. They make an excellent entry level offshore performance boat.

motoxmom94@yahoo.com
01-27-2007, 06:46 PM
This boat has only seen freshwater, we are pretty land locked where we are and the previous owners are also known to us. It has only one bad spot on the seat, where the previous owner's wife set a vaccum but it is not bad. The only real down fall to this boat for a collector is the OMC motor destroyed itself last year, and the only motor we were able to find was a new rebuild 425hp 454, so now it has a Merc in it with headers and mufflers instead of exhaust manifolds. The hull is in great shape and the interior is not faded except the embroidered logo on the back seat. The vinyl itself is not faded at all. Overall this boat is in great shape and it definatly draws attention when we have it out. It has a new cockpit cover and has been stored inside all week, only time it sees the sun is on the weekend when we are out bombing around.

Thanks for all your imput on this boat, and what we should ask, we are not sure if we want to get rid of it. Only if the right opportunity arises, which would have to be a bigger boat at the right price, because we really do love this boat and all the history that goes with it.