PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Braided -AN Hose

RickR
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
What is the best way to cut Braided Stainless -ANHose for oil lines.

Is it OK to use a Ziz wheel if I flush the hose afterwards?

Any tech tips for cutting hose and installing hose ends?????

THANKS!

oldandtired
01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I just wrap the area to be cut with masking tape and cut it with an abrasive wheel. Make sure that the cuts are square. Clean it by whatever means is suitable to you (I blew them out with compressed air). As far as installing the ends, there aren't any good tricks that I know. I just placed the collar over the hose, push the end in until it is fully seated and screw them together.

Rene

justleft
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
We would wrap the hose VERY TIGHTLY with strapping tape, the stuff with the fibers. That tape seemed to hold the stainless together better.
Then you want to rotate the hose so you only slice the stainless braid. This way you do not carry the steel fragments into the inside. Next, cut the hose. Using two steps will result in a much cleaner cut.
We used a fine toothed, high speed band saw.
Make sure you seat the hose all the way into the fitting.
Also, make up a fitting and buy a cap so you can hook the hose to your air compressor. You don't want that baby blowing out in the middle of the ocean at 5800 rpm !!!
bob

Edit - When cutting the stainless braid try to cut the stands cleanly without tearing them out. Which ever cutting tool you use.

RickR
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
THANKS! tmdog,oldandtired and justleft!

I bought a AN clamp which was well worth the $$$

Wrapped hose with 3M 33+ black tape
Cut with ziz wheel
Cleaned hose w/ gun bore brush (nylon) and air
Installed female nut over hose and marked back side (to make sure hose
did not push out.
Oiled fitting w/motor oil
Put some black tape on a Cresent wrench and screwed fittings on.

Now I have some -10 AN Russsell oil lines w/Enrura fittings :bonk:

Traveler
01-29-2007, 01:37 AM
You should also make a pencil mark on the hose at the edge of the fitting that goes over the hose. This allows you to see if the hose is being pushed out of the fitting when you screw in the internal portion of the fitting.