PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice?

apollo24
01-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Guys,

I have been in marketing/sales in various capacities since I graduated MBA school in 2000 (so I am a little younger than many of you). I've held a couple gainful positions since then. I started with a new company (heavy equipment parts business) exactly one year ago, after my former firm went south. The President of my present company left to go to our competitor three weeks after he hired me, and some chaos ensued. Bottom line, it was time for me to leave then, but I stuck it out, hoping things would get better. New President came in, hired son & son's drinking buddies, etc. in March or April. A true case study in nepotism. Anyway, I had bought a house, moved here to MS, and decided to give it some time...

I put my resume out recently and got a call from an acquaintance who runs one of the top Morgan Keegan offices in the country- in a city that we have been considering anyway (finding other gainful employment in mktg/sales in Jackson, MS has been almost impossible). I visited with his staff and they are very interested in putting me through the program and becoming a financial advisor with them. It's a very interesting deal, and I understand how tough the first few years are. Seems like it could be very rewarding.

I know that I'd do well in it, but I am wondering if any of you have insight into this.

Yes, I'd ideally like to be doing mktg/sales in the marine business near some good water but haven't found that to be an option, unless I want to sell Bayliners or Bassbuggies.

Thoughts? Prayers?

BUIZILLA
01-26-2007, 11:31 AM
are you bilingual in spanish ???

apollo24
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
are you bilingual in spanish ???

No. I had to take some Spanish as a navy midshipman and learned to read it but can't really speak it anymore.

florida gator
01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Where with Morgan Keegan? The bank I work for just merged with Regions Bank and our FC's are transferring to Morgan Keegan. I too was in sales and marketing.

apollo24
01-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Where with Morgan Keegan? The bank I work for just merged with Regions Bank and our FC's are transferring to Morgan Keegan. I too was in sales and marketing.

Birmingham. You must work for AmSouth?

florida gator
01-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, and glad I'm not in Bham with all the Alabama based mergers in the last couple of years. Great company to work for. I had nothing to lose when I took accepted the position offered to me since I was unhappy in my previous company. Coming from a non banking background you should do great.