PDA

View Full Version : ford expeditions good / bad ?

mikev
01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Ok guys not trying to get ford vs chevy thing just wondering who has them and what experiences they have had. I have heard good and bad about them I have always been a chevy guy and was looking at getting a tahoe or suburban but wife likes the expeditions alot more. looking at a 2000 with the 5.4 and heavy duty tow package. thanks in advance guys.

glashole
01-26-2007, 11:20 AM
great truck

had a 2000 with the 4.6 and it worked awesome

I have the 5.4 in my work truck and it is even better

go with it you won't be dissapointed

gcarter
01-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I love mine. The new ones w/independant suspension and 5.4 are WAY better than mine as they are advertised to get 20 MPG on the highway.
If you get an older one ('02) like I did, there's a couple of recall items (incindiary cruise control!!!) to make sure they're corrected. The only complaint I have of mine is the thickness of the "A" pillars. You would be amazed what a large vehicle they will hide from you.

BigGrizzly
01-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Mike, I have a 1999 and have no trouble with it and bough it new. I go to all the rallies with it. Wife loves it and tells me that I was great letting here buy it(as if I controlled her HA)

mrfixxall
01-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok guys not trying to get ford vs chevy thing just wondering who has them and what experiences they have had. I have heard good and bad about them I have always been a chevy guy and was looking at getting a tahoe or suburban but wife likes the expeditions alot more. looking at a 2000 with the 5.4 and heavy duty tow package. thanks in advance guys.

expect 10 or less miles to to the gallon in coler temps,expect the ball joints to ware,expect the timing chain cover to leak oil,expect the oil pan to rot out in the northern states,expect to have problems with the door switches keeping the interior lights on,expect to have problems with the rearend and they dont ride as smooth as the tahoe(tahoe 16-18 mpg city 19-22 mpg hwy)
da ford 9-13 mpg city 14-16 hwy,,,and thats not towing anything my buddy gets 7mpg with his ford towing??? but what do i know i use to be a tech in 2000 for ford..

gcarter
01-27-2007, 01:48 PM
expect 10 or less miles to to the gallon in coler temps,expect the ball joints to ware,expect the timing chain cover to leak oil,expect the oil pan to rot out in the northern states,expect to have problems with the door switches keeping the interior lights on,expect to have problems with the rearend and they dont ride as smooth as the tahoe(tahoe 16-18 mpg city 19-22 mpg hwy)
da ford 9-13 mpg city 14-16 hwy,,,and thats not towing anything my buddy gets 7mpg with his ford towing??? but what do i know i use to be a tech in 2000 for ford..
Mine, '02 Eddie Bauer, is the smoothest riding vehicle I own....but then it's all subjective anyway. Milage could be better...13.5 town-16 highway-11 towing the Minx. But if I keep to 60 MPH, it gets 18 highway, 14 towing. I guess that says something about the size of it and the aerodynamics.
I really like the amenities...rear seat entertainment, mind you I don't have kids and don't watch too many movies going down the highway. Seats are really comfortable and I've had 8 in it several times.

mikev
01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
well guys going to tes drive the expedition and the suburban tomorrow so i will let you know the verdict monday i am leaning toward the burban cause i am a chevy guy and my 2001 silverado has 121k with 0 issues and this would be the same truck. btw anyone want to by a regular cab 2001 stepside silverado loaded out with the 5.3 and every option available?

BigGrizzly
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Mike, Tom and I traveled together a lot and he always puts more gas in his Suburban than I do in my Expedition. Both are 2 wheel drive. 74000+ mi and no leaks no problems. I get better millage towing than George and go faster. Don't know why.

thriller
01-28-2007, 10:10 AM
I bought a 2003 Expedition EB from Texas in November. Smoothest ride since the Caddy! The wife loves it , the kids love it, yet to tow the BH behind it. I expect the mileage to go down a tad. Personally I like the body style of the Eddie Bauer from 2003 to 05 the best. Leather interior DVD all from factory.
I'm sure the 07 is nice just a little smaller than the previous years..
Good Luck

MM

florida gator
01-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Just bought our second one. Went with the XL. Towed the boat 80 - 90 down the highway the first weekend we had it. Never did anything to the last one other than general maintenance.

Tony
01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Towed the boat 80 - 90 down the highway the first weekend we had it.

Holy crap, doesn't Florida have any cops?
What is your mileage at 90 mph? :eek!:

:beer:

florida gator
01-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Holy crap, doesn't Florida have any cops?

Probably not enough since I hardly see any. I never really see them on the Suncoast / Veterans,

What is your mileage at 90 mph? :eek!: Didn't pay attention to the mileage but it wasn't good. I think it has an digital computer that gives that info but, I have been too busy playing with nthe stereo.

:beer:

My wife tried talking me into buying her tradein but I like having a truck.

wrussellw
01-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Have a 1997 with 165,000 gave it to my son, I mean absolutely no problems with anything major. Have a 2000 82,000 same thing, wife has a top of line Eddie Bauer 2005 44,000 no problems at all, rides much better than the others, power third seat, side airbags, etc. Four Explorers , they usually die hard, Expeditions have been great.