PDA

View Full Version : BBC Gaskets, Marine vs. Auto

justleft
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I am going to do some work on the BBC.

Felpro gaskets from Jegs are less then half the price of Merc.

Are there any differences ??

thanks, bob

Cuda
01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to do an intake swap, and it sure would be easier to go to Autozone than order something.

justleft
01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Cuda, I always worry about the no-name gaskets from the local auto-zoned store.

bob

Intake on the mind..... Seems to be trend.

Cuda
01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I think I can get Felpro at the Napa store. I don't remember right off hand.

oldandtired
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I remember reading that Cometic gaskets are the way to go. I like Fel-Pro products as well.

Rene

McGary911
01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
When I first got my boat, it had a motor built for Lake Michigan, and the head gaskets had plain steel rings (unknown to me). They failed after about my 3rd time out. Barely noticeable, but i pulled the heads just to be safe. Rotten rings on 2 cylinders, and a 3rd was about to go. I went to the local speed shop and ordered the FelPro gaskets. They have a special part number for the marine ones, that gives you the stainless rings. I haven't had a problem since.

pretty sure this is what I have: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP%2D17042&autoview=sku

RobF
01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
FYI- Summit racing sells the marine division of felpro gasket sets.

Last time I had to buy a big block chrysler set they were almost $100 cheaper for the set then the marine supply joint.

just call them and ask.

Cuda
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Cometic.. Sit down before you price em though :eek: :eek:
:)
I know, I priced them. They were more than the valve job.:eek!:

I don't know if the intakes would be as critical, as the head gaskets.

Cuda
01-24-2007, 09:05 PM
$32.99 for Felpro at Summit. They are rectangular ports, will that matter?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP%2D17341&autoview=sku

Cuda
01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
You heads are oval ports...
Yes, so these from Summit wouldn't work?

mrfixxall
01-25-2007, 09:56 AM
I am going to do some work on the BBC.
Felpro gaskets from Jegs are less then half the price of Merc.
Are there any differences ??
thanks, bob

you want to use the felpero marine gasgets,they hace a stainless steel core which wont rot out..you can get what they call a head set which includes 2 head gasgets a intake set which is the same as felpro hp seies gasgets,a pair of exhaust manifold gasgets,valve guide seals and some misc gasgets...
you can usually get them at your local auto parts store for about 140.00...

I would NOT use any automotive gasgets in a marine engine,they just dont last...but you can use the valve cover,timing cover rearmain seal, water pump and oil pan gasgets....

yeller
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
When I first got my boat, it had a motor built for Lake Michigan, and the head gaskets had plain steel rings (unknown to me). They failed after about my 3rd time out. Barely noticeable, but i pulled the heads just to be safe. Rotten rings on 2 cylinders, and a 3rd was about to go.
That's a much different experience than me. I've used nothing but automotive gaskets/engines in my 16 without any problems. 10yrs on the 1st engine, 6yrs on the second. Both these were still running strong when I pulled them and neither showed any signs of excessive gasket wear. I use only Felpro gaskets.

McGary911
01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
That's a much different experience than me. I've used nothing but automotive gaskets/engines in my 16 without any problems. 10yrs on the 1st engine, 6yrs on the second. Both these were still running strong when I pulled them and neither showed any signs of excessive gasket wear. I use only Felpro gaskets.

Probably has to do with me running in the salt. You run in fresh?

RobF
01-25-2007, 11:52 AM
you have to CALL summit, I dont think it shows up on the online page.

any felpro dealer can get it, but if you call summit you will have it in 2 days and wont have to leave your house.

Cuda
01-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks Scott.:cool:

yeller
01-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Probably has to do with me running in the salt. You run in fresh?
That boat did run mostly in fresh, but it would still see salt at least 1/2 dozen times a year.

Cuda
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
2112 Felpro's in a box heading your way Cuda... The rest is in the hands of the folks in the brown truck :) :)
I got them today Scott, thanks!