PDA

View Full Version : V-6 Balance shaft question

The Hedgehog
01-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I need to know if my engine has one and am away from the shop (and so is my mechanic) so I can order the manifold, cam etc. The engine is a 1990 OMC V-6 2bbl Model #432APRPW5 sn#T01195326. I am guessing that I would have noticed it when the heads and manifold were pulled but I am not sure. Anybody know?

mikev
01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
GM went to the balance shaft in the early 90s so yours should have it. this will only make a difference when it comes to cams. The intake difference will be if you have vortec heads or not and you should have vortec being a 2000.

The Hedgehog
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
GM went to the balance shaft in the early 90s so yours should have it. this will only make a difference when it comes to cams. The intake difference will be if you have vortec heads or not and you should have vortec being a 2000.

Woops. I changed it. I meant 1990. I thought that it corresponded with the vortec.

mrfixxall
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
it should have a ballance shaft in the engine and the engine should have a roller cam in it also..the ballance shaft is driven off of the top timing gear....i saw your correction,,,,,no ballance shaft no roller cam..

The Hedgehog
01-24-2007, 12:23 PM
it should have a ballance shaft in the engine and the engine should have a roller cam in it also..the ballance shaft is driven off of the top timing gear....i saw your correction,,,,,no ballance shaft no roller cam..

It does have a roller cam so I am thinking that it does. I just don't remember seeing it but at the time I spend more time looking at the heads.

mrfixxall
01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
It does have a roller cam so I am thinking that it does. I just don't remember seeing it but at the time I spend more time looking at the heads.

If it does hace a ballance shaft it would be in the lifter valley with a steel cover over it..

Newby
01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
My 1990 does not have a balance shaft. It has non-vortec heads.

The Hedgehog
01-25-2007, 06:39 AM
If it does hace a ballance shaft it would be in the lifter valley with a steel cover over it..

That helps. I don't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary in the lifter valley area. Just a regular lifter valley. I will zip over there on Sat to confirm now that I know where they are located.

mikev
01-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Just to make it interesting mine is an 88 no balance shaft but it does have a roller cam and it is original.

The Hedgehog
01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
And the answer is.....

no balance shaft! I learned that they came out in 1993.

I get get some more goodies in the mail now!