PDA

View Full Version : AOTH Lake Cumberland

Andy McCarty
01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that the COE has made its decision to hold the lake @ 680 for the summer. This lake level will help the stress that is causing seepage to the dam. For those of you that normally come to AOTH this mean you will not have to worry about floating debris, trees and logs. You will be able to run WOT with no worries. AND the walk to the Harbor resturant will be another 43 foot :( . Just thought i would keep you guys posted.

Normal summer pool is 723. Should make for an interesting summer. But atleast we (lake cumberland boaters) do not have to worry about loosing outdrives...

Lenny
01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
10 MORE FEET TO FALL AT 15 DEGREES OR SO IS A LOT OF "RUNWAY" AT THE BOAT LAUNCH.

Will it still float a boat at the Cumberland Marina without backing the truck into the lake itself ?

Magicallbill
01-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Len;
In fall pool, the State Park Ramp's concrete sections just end, and it goes to stone. Some continue to back on down over the stone and launch.
I'm not sure about the Jamestown Ramp, as I've never seen it in low pool.

Take away 10 more feet and we're in "Uncharted Ramp Area."

Apparently, they're considering low-water extensions on the ramps, but whether that'll be done by spring may be questionable.

I'm sure you'll be properly informed before you begin the trek down.

I will say that you'll really enjoy the cliffs and the exxposed rock formations that are not visible in the ATOH spring pool.

Take care, hope all is well with you and the Missus.

MB..

gcarter
01-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Those of you who missed lake Powell missed the Grand Daddy of all ramps. It may be over 1000' long to accomodate depth variations of more than 100'. It's also about 200'-300' wide. The down side is you have to back your vehicle into the water because of the very slight slope.

Andy McCarty
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I will keep all informed of information i find out. I know that Burnside has about 2-3 more foot of ramp. So it will be out. Conely Bottom i think they will have about 5 foot left once levels reach 680. State Dock :eek!: they have a drop off about 10 more foot. not good. Jamestown i believe will be fine. Aligator 1 and 2 will be close. Our ramp @ Ramseys point is out with not much area to extend with. It looks like i will either be getting a slip or traveling to beaver or Connely.

I will keep you informed. But looks like for the AOTH Jamestown should be fine.

All levels and statements about the docks in my response are coming to me second hand information so if anyone knows more information please let me know. I will give eye witness information in 2 weeks once they lower the lake. I will travel to all ramps.

Andy

RickSE
01-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Yep, we've been dealing with this for the past five years at Powell. We were down 150' 2-years ago and had some major ramp extension projects. We got all the way down to the old asphalt ramps that had not been exposed since the lake was originally filled in the 60's and spend about a year backing up with major pot holes, loose gravel and 40-year old asphalt oil in the water before it was all covered with new concrete.

Sometimes the water being down is not all that bad since like Magicllbill says you get to see a lot of new stuff that's normally covered by water. Powell has a 100' tall bathtub ring.

Worst case at Powell was Antelope Ramp that had a 300' drop off at the end of the ramp, back up too far and your trailer your trailer goes ......................down.

Sam
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Andy, thanks for the update and all the running around it is appreciated. I guess I can leave my driving gloves home this year now that there will be no evasive driving required :eek!: .

Sam