PDA

View Full Version : lake superior in november

show-n-go h2o
01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
thought this was neat, i got it in an email...

realbold
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow! Those last 2 pics bring memories of the Fitz :eek: I entered to win a cruise on a Great Lakes freighter of all things :boggled: from Port Huron to Daluth, MN and back.

Forrest
01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Now that's a lake!

Magicallbill
01-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Those shots are taken from the wheelhouse, which is elevated,aft. Just a guess, but I'd say the seas are 15-18 ft.
Add to that the water temp is probably in the 40's or 50's and it's easy to be glad our Donzi's aren't out there.

Rootsy
01-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I swam on a couple of occasions, in September, in Lake Superior... Talk about shrinkage... :eek!: it's a friggin COLD lake and it NEVER gets warm...

A bit of a side story... i was on my way home from Tech (MTU) just before Thanksgiving, 1995. It was my first trip home since i had been there and i was SOLO... there was a wicked storm at that time and as i was headed out of Marquette on M28 at AuTrain there is a stretch of M28 that runs right along the lake for a few miles... Sandy beaches... The waves coming in had to be 20 feet, were breaking on the rocks and running up the beach at least 200 yds and over the road.... which was a solid sheet of ice... literally a skating rink... Wind was gusting so hard that it literally pushed my Ranger off the road onto the burm... So i navigated that stretch of road, on the shoulder in the snow...

She is a wicked snow machine too.... Fall 96 she dumped 4 feet of snow on us in Houghton in less than 24 hours... I distinctly remember that day... it was a Thursday night.. there was a bank robber standoff in downtown Houghton and we wanted to go to the bar... had to go in the back door as US-41 through town was shut down.. snipers and all... the poor chap decided to rob the Houghton National Bank... inadvertantly blew off the Police Chief's wife's arm with a scatter gun... took another hostage and went to his vehicle only to find he was "snowed" in... when he put the garage door opener down (he claimed it was a bomb detonator) the snipers put one or two in him... can you say DARWIN AWARD...

Magicallbill
01-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Quite a story, Jamie;

I know that stretch of M28..
When I was on the road with Duke Tumatoe & The Power trio in '01 and '02 we played in Marquette at a supper/type joint there..Can't remember the name, and I was telling Duke that there were no beaches on Lake Superior..All rocky terrain.
Well, Duke and I were always jazzin' each other on the road to pass the time, and right in the middle of that discourse, we came upon the sandy beach area that you mentioned. Just past Munesing and Pictured Rocks, I think, and he started shoutin' about the sand. We pulled the van over, got out, and walked up and down. (I can only imagine the scene that you described with the waves comin' over the road.) It was nice that day, and the water and scenery was really cool.
Needless to say, from there all the way across the Mac Bridge, all I heard was that there was INDEED SAND on L. Superior,and that I should study more geography.
I think the name of the hall was "Upfront & Company, or something like that.

Jason looked at the shots, and we have upgraded our estimate to 20-footers.

BUIZILLA
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
i'm gonna take a guess at 35-40' waves based on the fact that the wheelhouse is 4 story's from the deck, and the water covers the deck.... and the bow waterline is at least 32' down..........

rustnrot
01-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I find it hard to believe that first picture is up by the UP. Look at the shoreline and the mountains. I guess it could be, but that's not like any shoreline I've ever seen, at least that I ever saw during my childhood days in the lower peninsula.....

SideshowRob
01-25-2007, 08:37 PM
YA know I saw this email about a year ago.... and I'll say this, I'm very skeptical about emails in general. Now I've spent time around Superior and I know what it can do and I will never dispute her power.... buuut, I have say this water looks kinda salty. Weather like this on a freshwater lake usually is followed by national news reports.

I'd like to add that my dog thinks I'm smarter than I really am.

Rootsy
01-26-2007, 06:05 AM
the big lakers sit pretty low in the water when they have a load on...

first boat.... http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/spruceglen.htm and yes there are some big "hills" in da UP and Canada along the Gitche Gumee... As for teh waves.. see the bottom of the page of the URL...

Tony
01-26-2007, 07:40 AM
.... buuut, I have say this water looks kinda salty.

Turns out you are right, but I'm wondering...how do you tell salt water visually?

:beer:

SideshowRob
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by SideshowRob
.... buuut, I have say this water looks kinda salty.

lol.... That was just my way of saying I think it's an ocean. :cool:

Magicallbill
01-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Turns out you are right, but I'm wondering...how do you tell salt water visually?
:beer:

Tony;
You can tell the difference by the foam that a breaking wave creates.
The foam dissipates much more quickly in fresh water than in salt.
In the pics,there is so much wind and surface turbulence that it's kinda hard to tell. However, that is the foreward section of a Great Lakes Freighter.I have never seen on in the oceans.
Plus..Saltwater waves are more spaced apart as they rear up when they approach shallow water. I'm told that's why surfers like the ocean waves. They seem to break and roll in a sort of "slow motion" while Great Lake/freshwater waves break close together and rapidly.

I say it's the Great Lakes..

realbold
01-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Well...according to the link above those were shot in the Atlantic.

Magicallbill
01-28-2007, 04:37 PM
I missed the link, I guess..

Well, I've been wrong before..

I didn't think "Black Velvet" would be a hit, either.

Those look like Laker Freighters to me. Why is it titled Lake Superior in Nov??

DONZI
01-28-2007, 05:30 PM
The water's can be a mean place in the Winters !
Today's news.:(
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070128/ap_on_re_us/missing_boat

show-n-go h2o
01-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Those look like Laker Freighters to me. Why is it titled Lake Superior in Nov??

i guess they were supposed to have been shot in november. that just what the emailed was titled