PDA

View Full Version : Electric hatch on a 22 ideas?

Cuda
01-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I damn near decapitated myself the other day working on Deb's boat. It has the old type rig where you use a rod to hold up the hatch. Of course, it wasn't in the boat when I bought it, so I've been using this piece of tile edging to hold it up. I hit it with my elbow the other day, and it would have done serious damage to me if it fell on the back of my neck. Remember, I had the hatch reinforced, so it weighs quite a bit more than a stock hatch.

Here's what I've been using. You can see in the last picture where it bent when I elbowed it.:eek!:

Cuda
01-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I have this new electric hatch lift, that I bought for my Formula project. I think it's about the perfect length for the 22.

I'm thinking of mounting it to the stringer. In the pictures, I show it at the bottom, and at the top of the stringer. I'll epoxy a piece of something up on the hatch end to mount the other end on. The height of the riser is a quarter inch below the hatch.

Before I get told to buy the new type hinge lifts, I am very adverse to drilling hole in the boat. I don't even want to drill through the stringer to mount the lift on the bottom.

Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work? Which would be better, at the top, or the bottom of the stringer. I'm leaning towards putting it near the top to keep it drier.

gcarter
01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Uh...I guess you're planning on relocating the battery switch?:confused:

Barry Eller
01-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Chuck Yeager used a broom stick for a handle to close the door on the X-1 when he broke the sound barrier.

I knew a girl once that was a test pilot at a broom factory. Only saw her at Halloween though.:confused:

Does your head hurt?

Cuda
01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Uh...I guess you're planning on relocating the battery switch?:confused:
Umm, show me where it is. :)

There is no battery switch.:wink:

gcarter
01-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I was just wonder where you get the power to run the lift when the battery is turned off and the darned switch is in the engine compartment??????

Cuda
01-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I was just wonder where you get the power to run the lift when the battery is turned off and the darned switch is in the engine compartment??????
In my Formula, where the ram attaches to the hatch is slotted, so you can lift the hatch, pull a pin, and disconnect the ram. I wouldn't have to worry about it with a dead battery, since the battery is under the rear seat, but I would in case the lift failed. I probably won't worry about lift failure, if push comes to shove, I can pull the two pins that hold the hatch on, lift the hatch, and disconnect the lift.

98shovel
01-21-2007, 12:17 PM
cuda
i used 2 gas struts so i could keep my head mounted 1 set of brackets to the rear of the drip channel the other are glassed to the underside of the lid whene the lid is open they are completly out the the way.
if u need part # or length let me know

gcarter
01-21-2007, 12:36 PM
In my Formula, where the ram attaches to the hatch is slotted, so you can lift the hatch, pull a pin, and disconnect the ram. I wouldn't have to worry about it with a dead battery, since the battery is under the rear seat, but I would in case the lift failed. I probably won't worry about lift failure, if push comes to shove, I can pull the two pins that hold the hatch on, lift the hatch, and disconnect the lift.
Joe, actually my question is how do you turn on the battery switch when it is located in the engine compartment?

Cuda
01-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Joe, actually my question is how do you turn on the battery switch when it is located in the engine compartment?
G, you must not have read the last line of post five.:wink:

gcarter
01-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh dear! I thought you were kidding!!
You're a braver soul than I!!!

MOP
01-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Joe power that thing up and fully extend it to check clearances, I screwed up years back thought I had one planned out perfect! Yeah right it laid against the power steering pump 3/4 ways up.

Phil

LKSD
01-22-2007, 09:08 AM
:crossfing

I knew a girl once that was a test pilot at a broom factory. Only saw her at Halloween though.:confused:

Me too, my wife still works there... :eek!: :jestera:

Cuda, if you put that in there I would fasten it in some way. You dont want that bouncin around in there. There is a hatch bracket, I believe made by lenco. It will allow you to raise the hatch a few inches incase something dies.. :) Jamie

Thats the 1 thing that pisses me off about my new zx. there is no fail safe to open the hatch if you ever have an actuator go on you.. :( I am trying to think of a way while they are new & work to ever get in there if I need to..

On the other hand The new Zr's you can just pop out the hatch vents & the lift pins are right there..

Jamie / Lakeside

Lenny
01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
cuda
i used 2 gas struts so i could keep my head mounted 1 set of brackets to the rear of the drip channel the other are glassed to the underside of the lid whene the lid is open they are completly out the the way.
if u need part # or length let me know

Cuda, this is what I would be doing. I bought a set from Jamie (JW) a while back for the X-18 and have reverse hinges to add, (same bolt pattern) so that it does not come off.

When it is engine removal time (next time :D ) I will just unbolt one sides hinges.

The gas strut seems so much easier and no wiring or things to worry about. Don't we have enough to worry about ;) ?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39374&highlight=gas+strut

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11096&d=1114491382

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11097&d=1114491382

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11098&d=1114491382

gold-n-rod
01-22-2007, 10:21 AM
You could use one of those 4" screw in plates to give you access thru the seat back to the lower release pin. Or, an extra set of battery terminals (covered, of course) located under the rear seat.

On my big boat, in the event of a battery failure while the hatch is closed, I can reach my skinny little arms under the rear seat bottom, thru the bilge and yank the lower pin.

:)

98shovel
01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
if someone needs gas strut cover plates made I have a machine for spot welding studs to stianless plate,aluminum and steel with any meterial stud
just give me demension and stud location

Morgan's Cloud
01-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Don't be so afraid to drill some holes ... does'nt the boat have dozens in it already ?
At least with any holes that you drill now you will know that at least they are sealed properly. Something you probably can't say about the existing ones !

if someone needs gas strut cover plates made I have a machine for spot welding studs to stianless plate,aluminum and steel with any meterial stud
just give me demension and stud location
Someone else is thinking what I was ......
When I put the electric hatch lifter in the Magnum (the hatch weighs about 150 lbs) I made sure I had redundancy by having the nuts spot welded to the pin bracket that bolts to the underside of the hatch. So if the batteries (inside the engine compartment) ever both went south at once all I had to do was undo the bolts on the outside top of the hatch and the lifter falls away inside the eng. compartment.
(the battery selector switch is outside the engine room)
Steve

zimm17
01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm using stainless steel gas struts. They sell them in varying amounts of closing strength, from around 10lbs to 60lbs each. I got a pair of the heaviest ones- I think 60's. They hold the hatch up great.