PDA

View Full Version : Hey BoatClinic

Formula Jr
01-20-2007, 10:31 AM
.......We are restoring a 67 Formula Jr. and by the time were done they will have at least that much in it,......
Don R.

So, do you have any photos of the finished Formula Jr?

Boatclinic
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
We have the Engine done, removed everything to the hull, new 27 Gallon Fuel tank, new floor, Gelcoated inside and we fliped it over to do the bottom, primed and painted today, Turned out real sweet, ready to flip on thursday and will get you more as they develop, Did I mention we restored the Trailer Too. Here is a pict to wet your appetite. Don

Formula Jr
01-23-2007, 06:57 PM
That bottom does look nice. You must have used the micro-sphere treatment, just like Donzi does to get that level of mirror finish. You can read by the reflection. SOME KINDA GOOD STUFF GOING ON AT YOUR SHOP!!! Five stars.

Boatclinic
01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Engine is ready to go in, will be sending picts as progress continues.
Don
www.Boatclinic.net

Boatclinic
01-30-2007, 08:11 AM
We Installed Gelcoat on Floor over new Fuel Tank and spatter coated in Baby Blue, Boat is ready for top paint now
Don

rustnrot
01-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Nice Job! How is spattering done? Simply take a loaded brush and fling it????

glashole
01-30-2007, 09:39 AM
what engine is going into it?

Boatclinic
01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Nice Job! How is spattering done? Simply take a loaded brush and fling it????
Appplied with Gelcoat in Baby Blue to match trailer and stripe going on boat, It is sprayed on using a webbing solution added to Gel and using a HVLP Gun. I have seen it done with a brush and prefer this as it makes it more uniform. Just picky I guess! :cool!:
the new engine ( Custom Built by Gary Johns Racing) is a V-6 with new Electronic Ignition, Thumper Manifolds and risers, Edelbrock performer intake and 4 Barrel Carb. Coupled with a Alpha Drive, power steering etc.
Thanks for your interest guys , it is a fun project. Enjoy sharing!
Don, Sam, Scott and Carol (The Crew) :)
PS: Should be Painted by next week if it warms back up, 25 degrees last nite and 50 today. Should be 70 by Friday again. :cool!:

superhatz
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Looks great Don.....keep us posted.

I'll call ya on the Magnum bubble......:)

Boatclinic
02-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Well it warmed up a few days and got the primer coat on, should be painted this week:wink:
Don, Carol, Sam and Scott

rustnrot
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
1. The deck is painted and the hull is gelcoated, correct?
2. Was the wrap-around seating converted to two front buckets?

Boatclinic
02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
1. The deck is painted and the hull is gelcoated, correct?
2. Was the wrap-around seating converted to two front buckets?

Sorry But the Entire Boat is painted, Polurethane Coatings, Sterling Paint, Ck it out:
www.detcomarine.com
Boat will be 2+3 set up when done, owner decided that no one wanted to sit sideways in the boat jast time and was more of a pain, so we will build Couch in rear with 2 Buckets in front, steering also going back to Starboard.

Originally he wanted a restore, then after much discussion, we decided to upgrade to a more user friendly, setup for using every day rather than restore to original, after new V-6 and Merc Drive.
Don

rustnrot
02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Perfect! I am NOT a re-gel-coater and have heard ALOT of good things about Sterling.

Also I agree totally on getting rid of the wrap-around seating, that is what I would have done, if not, put a wood deck on it!

Boatclinic
02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Primer on boat after 3 coats of High Build Primer and sanded, just one more Block sanding and wala Paint goes on , :) Next week for sure!! Then to our Motor rigging shop, then to our Upholstery / Canvas shop, can't wait to see it completed but will have to, sounds like this is my boat but it isn't just a great project, customers coming in tomorrow to see the latest. More next week.
Don,Carol, Sam and Scott

rustnrot
02-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Gotta love that Barrelback!! What color will be? What is hole on right of dash for?

Sagbay32
02-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I am really enjoying the progress. Great work! :cool!:

Why go with the v-6, would a SBC fit?

I think I'll take mine in pale yellow with white stripes. Let me know when she is done. :wink:

Mike

Boatclinic
02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
The hole is the Trim/Tilt button hole. Filled the steering as are installing new.
I Agree The Barrelbacks are so cool, , as for the 200 Hp - V-6 Question ,simply put the owner had it in the boat and was happy with the speed it produced, and did not want more speed, owner said it did 50 and that was enough, there could have been room for a V-8 but was tight.
Will be posting more pict, thanks for the input Guys, always open to new Ideas, :wink:
Don, Carol, Sam, Scott
www.Boatclinic.net

rustnrot
02-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Alot of glass work had to be done to redo the seating I would imagine....can't wait to see more pics of that. Port or Stbd steering?

Boatclinic
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Alot of glass work had to be done to redo the seating I would imagine....can't wait to see more pics of that. Port or Stbd steering?
Starboard
When are you coming through town?
Don

rustnrot
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Mt. Dora boat show March 22. Will it still be at the shop?

Boatclinic
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes it will be here, Should be in the Upholstery Dept by then, This da#n weather would ever warm up enough to spray I would be back on track, 27 tonight !!! 50 is not warm enough, could do it but want 70 and calm. Maybe too picky but want it perfect. Hopfully next week looks promising. Are you bring a boat to the show in Mt. Dora?
Don

Boatclinic
02-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Paint on! Here is a few picts of the Boat in White, next is Buff out and add stripes, :)
Don, Carol, Sam, and Scott
Racine Design Inc.

Formula Jr
02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
WOW!

Thats what I call boat painting as ART!

Please try and talk owner out of installing the topsides guards for the tumble down (the little spray wings) till after its finished. He/She can always install them later. The boat looks so much better with out them. But that also means they will need some sort of cleat for the bumpers.

Boatclinic
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
The rub strake or spray guard is not going to be put back on, we have decided to install Accon Pop up Cleats on aft, and mid ship for spring lines. Are going to paint stripes same as Factory,
More Later
Don, Sam, Scott Carol and Kevin
Thank You for the encouragement

rustnrot
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm confused....it's got to have a rub rail installed to hide the deck-to-hull holes, correct? What are the "things" you are talking about, Owen?

Formula Jr
02-23-2007, 08:02 PM
These aren't on the deck to hull joint. They are little fins attached to the top sides, aft and above the water line, were the tumblehome would expose the badges and topsides to rubbing on a pier. They look like they belong there on some boats, like the CC Speedsters, but not on the aggressive looking hull of a JR.

MP, but then it would look like a Wyn-Mil II.
;)

Boatclinic
02-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey MP We gotta meet sometime, I like your Ideas, customer did too but said NO,
The Strke or Badge Guard is in the following picture and Like Formula Jr. mentioned is designed to protect the old Formula Label from being tore off from dock rash. Thanks for your comments,
Don

Boatclinic
02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
:shocking:
Here is the paint job youall have been waiting for, Sorry Mad Poodle we are going to install a rub rail, Trailer to match boat color and also a 1967. Still have final Buff and Polish to do, but you get the Idea
Don ,Carol, Sam, Scott and Kevin

Boatclinic
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Well here are a few more tempting pict, couple weeks should do it. Oh did I mention we restored the trailer too. Found the Paper work and it turns out to be a 66 and not a 67 Formula Jr.:)
Don

Boatclinic
11-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Well here it is, we finnished the interior the other day and ran it.

lars
11-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Don, Carol, Sam, Scott, it's been a true pleasure following Your skillfulled efforts bringing this little gem back to glory. I wish You a great Thanksgiving and I thank You again for giving the rest of us a glans into the world of craftsmanship that You excercise to You keep the historic race boats alive.

superhatz
11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Looks great Don!

:)

ChromeGorilla
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
And for 10 bonus points...... Ortega river? Just a guess...

Oh BTW... super nice job! You guys do very nice work every time.

Scott

Formula Jr
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Absolutely Beautiful!!! God, I love the interior with the Bird and the Name!

Boatclinic
12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks You Formula Jr. Appreciate all your input on the blog and the owner is super happy also, Also all comments from other members are appreciated, being a small shop and my wife designed the interior and the logo ideas, she has a big head right now and says that was real nice for you to say so. Thank You. ALL
as for the picts that is (Chromegorilla), Right for the 10 points, the Ortega River and Cedar river off the St. Johns, The Boat runs great and the trim tabs keeps it from bouncing, also the fuel tank below the new floor gives it a more stable ride. it used to be in the bow with saddle tanks in the rear.
Thanks Again to all who participated in the project
Don ,Carol and Sam