PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Pick up in a 27 ZX

Last Real Texan
01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Well after staring at the fuel tank pick up every now in then wondering if I should take it out and see what size it was after installing the supercharger I finally decided to do something about it.........Good thing I did, I was assuming that because someof these boats come with twin small blocks and I thought the pick up would surely be 1/2 inch I was seriously surprised to find that it was on the small side of 3/8 of an inch feeding into a 1/4 inch ball valve and then to an adapter to a 1/2 in flare and 1/2 inch tube to the filter.. Not to mention poorly engineered to say the least. It was a push on plastic type tube just pushed on the 3/8 bung with no way of really secureing, it was some what tight but not made well enough to my liking. So I went to Ace got a 3/8-1/2 inch elbow and some 1/2 inch copper tubing and proceded to machine out the 3/8 end to accept the 1/2 inch tubing and soldered the tubing in place . now I have 1/2 from the tank to the filter head and 1/2 in feeding the Aeromotive pump...should be good to go now. I hope it holds together....I just cut the new tube to match the lenght of the old one....Copper and brass should hold up better than aluminum and plastic.
Feel much better now about fuel delivery
On a side note the tank is factory Fiberglass tank not aluminum....

Bryan

MOP
01-19-2007, 03:44 AM
When you change filters pour the contents onto a glass container, watch for white slime. The glass tanks are starting to deteriorate from the alky in the gas, it is real a bad problem. All the Bertrams and several others are having to change out the tanks, there is quite a bit of info on the web about the problem. I am waiting to see what happens to the gas stations, all were mandated by the Gov to switch to double wall F/G tanks for possible pollution issues. That may be our next night mare!!

Phil

The Hedgehog
01-19-2007, 06:06 AM
When you change filters pour the contents onto a glass container, watch for white slime. The glass tanks are starting to deteriorate from the alky in the gas, it is real a bad problem. All the Bertrams and several others are having to change out the tanks, there is quite a bit of info on the web about the problem. I am waiting to see what happens to the gas stations, all were mandated by the Gov to switch to double wall F/G tanks for possible pollution issues. That may be our next night mare!!
Phil

Wow Phil. That is pretty scary. Have you heard of any type of additive we can use to slow this process?

MOP
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
I read a little of it after two friends tore their boat apart to get the tanks out, there is a ton of info on the net with that and maybe a call to Donzi to what their thoughts are.

Phil