PDA

View Full Version : Gen. VI 502 oil cooling ports

Jamesbon
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
What's involved in plumbing an oil cooler directly to a Gen VI 502? There are two ports, 1 inlet and 1 outlet drilled and tapped directly into the block near the stock oil filter pad. Looking for first hand experience...

I'm hesitant to use the remote filter mount and plumb from there...would rather go straight to the block with the cooler and keep the filter in the stock block mounted location...

gcarter
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Just curious Nate.....what are your reservations of using a remote filter?

Jamesbon
01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
One less bracket to mount, two less holes to drill through the stringer or...

The cooler is mounted and I have good access to the block mounted filter. If I can plumb directly from the cooler to the side of the block, I'm done. No more mounts to fab. no more holes to drill. Plus if I use my remote mount, I still have to order a special bolt thingy and a seal or two...

Greg K
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Nate,

The ports on the side of the block are too small (3/8") for marine application and for your engine, I would think you'd be running 1/2" or 5/8" oil lines to your cooler.
Go for the remote setup. You're not in any hurry to finish. :wink:

RickR
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Nate
I agree with Greg. Also there are some issues with the bypass valve when you use the block ports.

On my 502 I used GMs 30# bypass valve, stock oil lines, 3x18 cooler and the stock oil filter boss adapter.

I am within specs but still working through some temp and pressure issues.

http://www.summitracing.com/ has a good selection of adapters with or without thermostats.

BigGrizzly
01-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Nate forget it, I asked that same question about 6 years ago to Garry about my boat. After about 40 minutes of listening and(believe it or not ) listening I now understand. Use a good sandwich plate or remote cooler with minimum 1/2 id lines or AN10 or bigger. You have done everything else top drawer don't skimp there. Larger lines have less restriction. Garry has used those ports but the machine work is unbelievable, the motor will have to come completely apart to the bear block. Glad you asked first.