PDA

View Full Version : Volvo's newest single prop drive....

Morgan's Cloud
01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks to MP for posting the photo (when it appears)
When I ordered my new engine/drive package last September , nothing had changed with the Volvo line-up for a good few years and was expecting the regular SX unit I had become familiar with.
Well , did I have a surprise when I opened up the box and saw this. The trans plate has been re-designed also and now sports an external trim pump amongst other neat changes.
It appears that Volvo has taken the lower gearcase of the DP-S unit and modified it for single prop use. You can see that the entire unit has been re-designed but the changes to the lower gearcase are interesting. The only difference between the old SX unit and the DP-S was the lower gearcase. The SX was matched with nothing bigger (gas) than 320hp. The DP-S ,though , was good for the 496/425 hp. (all from the factory.)
I wonder now if the new SX-A (as it's called) is good for the big blocks ?
I think I'm going to have to ask a certain person to grab me the current Volvo brochure while at the Miami show...:wink:
Incidentally , despite it's compact appearance , it takes two guys to move this thing around ... not like my old Alpha that I could walk around with under my arm !
Steve

Lenny
01-16-2007, 09:38 PM
NICE :yes: :yes: :yes: looking drive Steve.

Curious as to the cut out dimensions tho... :D

Got a scan or sump'in?

highlnd@telus.net

Morgan's Cloud
01-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Lenny ,

The transom cutout for this (if that's what you are referring to) is still the same as the original Volvo SX/DP-S (which is still the same as the Merc cutout) NOT the same as the old 250/270/280 drives though.
I have raised mine a very conservative inch and an eighth.
It does look like a slippery unit though .

Thanks for posting the photos Scott/ and for picking up on the 'brochure remark' :D

BigGrizzly
01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Word on the street is that it is more hydrodynamic than any stock unit to date. This was from the other camp. It sure looks good.

Greg K
01-17-2007, 09:57 AM
From Volvo's site, the match ups to engines are the same. SX up to the 5.7 liter and DP for above 5.7 liter.

The SX was matched with nothing bigger (gas) than 320hp. The DP-S ,though , was good for the 496/425 hp. (all from the factory.)
I wonder now if the new SX-A (as it's called) is good for the big blocks ?

Steve

Morgan's Cloud
01-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Volvo web site has'nt been updated for over a year at least , everything is the same as when I pulled the installation diagrams off sometime in 2005 !
The SX unit pictured is still the SX not the SX-A.
Hence my interest in getting my mitts on a 2007 brochure .

Greg K
01-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Try the global English version of Volvo's site and you'll see the new styles.
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/drives/total+integration/

I'm pretty sure that the Volvo web site has'nt been updated for over a year at least , everything is the same as when I pulled the installation diagrams off sometime in 2005 !
The SX unit pictured is still the SX not the SX-A.
Hence my interest in getting my mitts on a 2007 brochure .

For the brochure: http://penta.tripnet.se/pentanews06/powerboat_guide_2006.pdf

Morgan's Cloud
01-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks for those links Greg , I had'nt accessed those sites before and they do answer a few questions ....
QUOTE=MadPoodle;400182]Geez, there goes my excuse to go to the boatshow... :boggled: :confused: :eek!:[/QUOTE]
NO WAY ! I think the internet is great , but there's no substitute for a nice glossy brochure in one's hands ! :tongue: