PDA

View Full Version : Taking on water

Barry Eller
01-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Pulling the engine to reseal the drive mount. Drive-shaft bellows and shift bellows replaced last year. I hope water has not gotten into the transom wood!

:crossfing

Barry Eller
01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
The engine is out. I went by the shop this afternoon, the transom wood is solid. Whew!

Should I paint the hole cut out with epoxy or coat it with resin? Or should I leave it as is?

When replacing the O-ring/seal to the mount, should any special sealant be used, or just the O-ring by itself?

Pismo
01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
While the engine is out you might as well paint an extra layer of expoxy all over where ever you think water might get in someday. Also mount a second tiny bilge pump as far aft as possible to get out that last bit of water. I'm sure there are lots of other good things to do with the engine out.

realbold
01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
My transom cutout is coated with a few coats of epoxy. It will then be lightly sanded and painted with the same epoxy bottom paint I am using for the bottom. Dont want to take chances. I also drilled the holes for the transom plate oversize, filled them with epoxy so when they are drilled the correct size the holes will go thru the epoxy and not the wood.
I dont think any sealer is needed on the O-ring but others might know better.

p729lws
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Taking on water

maybe it's that time of the month

Barry Eller
01-17-2007, 08:16 AM
maybe it's that time of the month

Dan,
Do you think Midol would help?

p729lws
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Dan,