PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Time!

maddad
01-15-2007, 12:08 PM
On a pretty tight budget, I put together a new motor for my 18. Saturday, I hauled it off to the dyno shop. By tuesday or wednesday, there will be some numbers to throw around.
Motor parts are 400 block bored .060, stock crank cut .010/.010, Eagle 5.7" rods, forged TRW pistons, Dart 180cc heads with Manley severe duty/ inconel valves, Comp 4x270h cam, RPM airgap and 750 Edelbrock carb. Roller rockers, one piece push rods and dual springs are also Comp parts. All bolts and studs are ARP.
My plan is to spin one of Big Grizzlies Solas 23" props a bit over 5000 rpm's with a Volvo 280 leg.
Anyone want to make a guess to help me pass the time till I have the facts?
I'm hoping for 430 hp and at least that much tq.:)
The pics below are the new motor and old motor. I can't believe that tempest ran so well with how it looks inside!

MOP
01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
The numbers should be about where you expect them to be, suspense is good for the heart!
Looks like the Tempest was sucking a little water, what all is worth saving. You know my thoughts on the cam, it made 300PSH someone would like it in their motor.

maddad
01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes Phil, there was water involved. I did a head gasket to get the last 2 months of the season. The last bunch of hours on that motor were not at all kind. It still ran strong, even early the day it came out.

Donziweasel
01-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to dyno an engine?

rustnrot
01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
...and a couple more questions. How does it attach to the dyno, I assume you take it there with the flywheel on it, also the bellhousing? Most dynos only have a rolling road, and would not be setup to take an engine directly, correct?

maddad
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Donziweasel, my total cost will be $500, and while that sounds high, it will keep it on the dyno for a few days so it can be dialed in.
Rustnrot, you're thinking of a chassis dyno where the car gets strapped down with the wheels on a roller. Both setups apply braking force to the engines rotation. One does it after the trans, diff, etc., one right to the crank shaft.
A drive plate gets bolted to the flywheel and hooks the engine to the dyno.
I'll take a bunch of pics and post all the info as this happens.

BigGrizzly
01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Rustnot all engine builders I know use engine dyno rolling road (chasis dyno)such as Dynojet are for drive in hotrodders. their nice for guys who do their own work and drop it in the car before it runs, then bring it over to fix it. Really it does have its place. I just like the engine dyno because you can see the whole engine check for leaks change plugs etc. Mad dad the price is not expensive its about normal in fact cheap considering the time on it that it will have. Yes most have a clutch adapter and bell housing, after that there are about 10 different majior typs.

ITTLFLI
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM
...and a couple more questions. How does it attach to the dyno, I assume you take it there with the flywheel on it, also the bellhousing? Most dynos only have a rolling road, and would not be setup to take an engine directly, correct?

Heres a 351 hooked up to a DTS engine dyno.

ITTLFLI
01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Here is a shot of the data on the screen

Ride home

And dressed in new valve covers!

Dr. Dan
01-16-2007, 04:56 AM
:eek!: Byron...nice Motor...whats that going into...? Sure looks purdy! :wink:

Doc of Donzi Fashion Bling :bonk:

maddad
01-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Ittlfli, in the next day or so, I'm gonna have the same pics with a different engine in a different spot.:propeller

ITTLFLI
01-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Ittlfli, in the next day or so, I'm gonna have the same pics with a different engine in a different spot.:propeller

Good luck! Running them on the dyno is almost as fun as running them in the boat!!

Dr. Dan...Its for a Supra ski boat!! :yes:

HallJ
01-16-2007, 11:46 AM
I ran mine with the marine exhaust.
It makes quite a difference compared to the dyno headers.
It killed about 30 hp! The Corsa mufflers took another 20hp off that.

Jeff

maddad
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
I would of liked to use the stainless marine manifolds, it just wasn't practical,($$$$), if you know what I mean.
I don't have all the sheets yet, but here are a few highlites.
It was only loaded between 3500 and 5300 for these tests.
With 750 Edelbrock, top hp was 412@5300, top tq was 470@4000
tq was 467.5@3500 and 417@5300 where the test started and stopped.
BSFC was between 5.5 and5.9
A quick switch to a 850 holley mech secondary, top hp was 418@5300
tq was 483@4000
tq was 474@3500 and 412.3@5300
BSFC was 4.4 and 5

I understand a little about these numbers and my thoughts are get a 750 mech holley.
The guys at the shop feel there's 20 more hp, at least, if I'd spin it more.

If I had to use one word to describe the experience it'd be, AWESOME!
There's a pic of my motor on the dyno and a pic of the motor waiting for mine to come off.

BigGrizzly
01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
My thoughts are the Holley. If mechanical secondaries are used I'd set them up to come in late. It may also work better them the eldbrock, but you have to try it

ITTLFLI
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Seems like some good results! The torque numbers seem great for a boat motor!

We are building a pair of Chevy 400's for my fathers new to him Cruiser's Inc 28'. I doubt we will go aftermarket on the heads but hope to make some good reliable torque monster's!!

maddad
01-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Seems like some good results! The torque numbers seem great for a boat motor!
We are building a pair of Chevy 400's for my fathers new to him Cruiser's Inc 28'. I doubt we will go aftermarket on the heads but hope to make some good reliable torque monster's!!
Strong torque was my goal based on what was said about BigGrizzly's solas props.
BG, I agree the mech holley may be better here. The tq curve with the Edelbrock was very spikey as vacuum changed. The change to a mech 850 holley made it very broad and flat adding an avg. of 10lbs. and as much as 18lbs.

MOP
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Michael those are some very respectable numbers, spring is getting close now. Time to wipe out the small stuff! You need some break in time on Great Peconic!

Phil

maddad
01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm looking forward to that Phil.:yes:
I will make it out there this season.
I may have talked my wife into the dust-off also...:crossfing