PDA

View Full Version : Good boating day and other things

gcarter
01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Laine and I went to brunch today at Harborside restaurant (formerly Dead River Vics) in the Minx. Saw a guy there in his new (to him) 33' Cigarette fish boat w/twin Merc 225 OBs. His name is Matt McCarron and he works for Tony Serandes (former racer and current sponser of the Rio Roses Fountain). Matt's Cig, an '01, was formerly owned by Tony, then sold when he started sponsoring the Fountain. Matt just bought the Cig and is the third owner. Sorry no pics, maybe later. I invited him to join us for the Mt Dora get-to- gather.
Back to the Cig.....it's pretty rough, I don't understand letting a boat go down hill so quickly, but he's working on it diligently.
Matt and his wife, Lynn, joined us for lunch, and he shared with us about working for Tony over the years.
He also told us his observations on the November KW worlds. He was underwhelmed. He felt there were an insufficient number of boats for real competition and if anyone finished all the races they would probably win their class. Anyone else come to the same conclusion. Sorry, I don't follow this stuff.
He also told us about what powers the RR boat. His opinion is the 1075 (?) Mercs aren't as dependable as the 1500 Stirlings they also run. At KW, he told us they were running some twin turbocharged engines based on BBC blocks that were producing about 3000 HP. These engines were built by a gentleman from Jacksonville named Rick Stoloroli (sp?). Anyone know anything about these engines?
Well anyway, we had a great day, it was about 78* and very pleasant. I hope our Northern friends recover from all the snow quickly.

need for speed
01-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a good day !!

Laurie and I where out down here to very nice day!!! 82 here :wink:

just got done washing the boat and got it back in the garge!~!