PDA

View Full Version : Need some prayers

Cuda
01-13-2007, 03:02 PM
As some of you may know, Debbie has a handicapped son who lives in a cottage in St Pete run by an orginization called PARC (Pinellas Association for Retarded Children). She drives a total of 600 miles every other weekend to bring him here to stay with us. They really don't know what's wrong with him, but they classified him as autistic, I think that makes it easier to get funding for the cottage. They have really been a godsend for Kyle, and us. He has a medical file as thick as a phone book, but nobody can really say what's wrong with him. When he was two weeks old, he had a seisure, and quit breathing long enough that he turned blue while Debbie was giving him CPR. He had several other more minor seisures for the next two years. The doctors claim that his brain scans show no sign of brain damage due to the seisures, but I have alway maintained that it is certainly brain damage. You can generally look at a child, and tell when they are born with mental disabilites, and Kyle looks like a normal good looking kid.
Anyway, she left at 6 am this morning to go pick him up in St Pete, and bring him back here. On her way there, the cottage called her and told her to go straight to All Children's Hospital in St Pete, because Kyle had a grand mal seisure this morning. They say it lasted over two and a half minutes, which is a very long time according to them. She called me at 7 am and told me about it. I had to go to work today, and she called me at 10 am to say she was at the hospital, that they were running catscans, and other test to find out what caused it. They still don't know. I got home from work at 3 pm, and still hadn't heard back from her, so I called her and got her voicemail and told her to call me. About a half hour later she called, and said they still didn't know anything, and were running tests. They are at least keeping Kyle overnight. She said he's been asleep since she's been there, except woke up once and set up. She said his pupils were the size of pinholes.
My parents live in St Pete, so I called my mom to tell her Debbie may stay with them tonight, she's still not sure. She may stay in Kyle's room tonight if they let her. Debbie was sounding like she was holding up well, and I was doing fine talking to her, but when I called my mom, to tell her what was going on, I was alright at first, then I broke down in tears talking to her. I really don't know why it shook me up so much talking to my mom. I got so choked up, I could hardly talk to her, so now she's worried about me. First mom asked me if she should go down and sit with Debbie, and I said Debbie was holding up well, but when I busted out, mom wanted to drive over here because she's worried about me. I think what bothered me so much talking to my mom was, I could imagine what she would feel, if it was me in the hospital. I want to call mom back, and tell her I'm really fine, but when I start to pick the phone up to call her, I feel the tears coming back, and I don't want my mom to worry. I think it even upset my three dogs, because they had never seen me sobbing.
I don't want to call Debbie, because the reception in the hospital is terrible, and they are just putting Kyle in a room, so she had to go up and tell the new nurse watching Kyle as much of his background as she can.
I really don't have any close friends over that live over here, and I consider my boating people my family.
I'm praying the little guy is alright. Debbie's devotion to him is one of her best traits. There are some kids at that cottage, who after their parents get them in there NEVER come back to see them again.
Thanks for listening.

Joe

BGH18
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Best wishes to you Joe & Debbie, hope everything turns out for the best. Our thoughts are with you.

Cuda
01-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Debbie just called. They have Kyle in his room, and he woke up long enough for her to get him to drink something, then went back to sleep. She ordered some food, but it will be 45 minutes before they get it, then she plans on waking him again. I asked her if his eyes looked better, and she said they did, so I think that's as good of news as we can expect right now. There is a new doctor now that he is out of the emergency room.

My mom called her, even though I told her not to bother Debbie. If there was ever a woman born to be a grandma, it's my mom, even though Kyle is no blood relation. It's just the way mom is. Even at 72, she thinks she has to take care of eveyone, including my 79 year old dad.
Debbie told me that mom told her about me breaking down, and I broke up again when Deb told me that, and I almost had Deb crying too. I had to get off the phone before I got her upset. So far, so good.

I'm just glad I have family over there in case Debbie needs them.

Carl C
01-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't pray, but best wishes in getting this sorted out.

boxy
01-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Kyle, Debbie and you will be in our thoughts and prayers tonight Joe.
It isn't to hard to figure out why it's bothering you so much, all someone has to do is look at the pictures you post of Kyle and Debbie on the water, and read what a good time you have with them on the boat to realize what he means to you.
Take care
Boxy

catch 22
01-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Joe & Debbie, You know how to get a hold of us if theres anything we can do. You, Debbie and Kyle are in our prayers tonight. Glad to hear everything seems to be looking up.

BigGrizzly
01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I have never met Kyle but have had dinner with you and Deb and can understand your pain I am a father too. Your in my prayers. The only thing I can say is something my Grand mother said to me during a family crises, "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!"

Magicallbill
01-14-2007, 11:47 PM
As usual, Big Grizzly has said it better than most.

I have never met you, but have enjoyed your pics and posts.
You seem like a passionate, life-loving kind of guy.
My best to you and your family, and prayers and hope for the little guy.

MB.

yeller
01-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Hoping everything turns out ok Cuda.

Cuda
01-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Kyle is back at the cottage, with no apparent further damage to him. They are going to keep a close eye on him for the next few weeks, until he is due to come over here again.

Debbie came home last night, and she is exhausted.

WA-LO
01-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Joe& Deb you call us with anything you need we live in St pete. My daughter spent 3 weeks at all childrens when she was born for brain siezures
so we are familliar with you type of issue. I can also say that doctors do not
like to label neurelogical cases, the brain is complex and there are alot of
labels for certain conditions, such as autism ,cerebal paulsy and such. I will
also tell you that all childrens in my book has the finest staff in our area. I
will also tell you to let the tears fly ,it is a healty human trait that will cleanse your soul brotha. Give your family a hug for us.

J&K&Shelby

RedDog
01-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Hang in there Joe. I had the pleasure of meeting Debbie and Kyle last year at Mt Dora. Kyle is a cute kid and has a special mom. Hang on to them.

mikev
01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
we are praying for you and let us know if you need anything at all.

Lenny
01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Joe, you have helped me, and all I can offer to you is some hope that it is nothing.

My eldest daughter, for no reason, had a few seisures when she was about 10. Now 18. After many repetitive brain scans and such and MRI's and drinking barium and such, they had no cause. I saw the heat signatures of her brain and all that, and the hypothalamax (sp) etc. They ended up telling us that they did not know why, couldn't offer any explaination, said a certain part of her brain "looked" busy and to carry on. Anyways, long story short, she is now 18, and has had NOTHING since. And to boot, these things do happen as kids grow up.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and Deb and Kyle and I am sure it will all turn out fine. Take care, Lenny and Deneen :)

MOP
01-17-2007, 04:09 AM
Gee Joe caught this post late, there is nothing in the world that will tug at your heart like an ailing child. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Phil

Donzi Jenn
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Cuda,

Randy and I will keep you, Debbie and Kyle in our thoughts and prayers. I know from family experience that ailments of the brain can be frustrating as all hell. But also from personal experience, I can tell you that the wonders of modern medicine also allow for miraculous things. Try to stay optimistic - as you certainly have many friends pulling for the little guy! :bighug: