PDA

View Full Version : Sound of Thunder 2007

boxy
01-13-2007, 07:46 AM
The 1000 Islands Donzi Run will be happenning July 19th to the 22nd.

MOP
03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
The run is on and the dates will stay the same July 19th to the 22nd. But due to business obligations and a few other things Boxy does not the time to organize the run! But we sure hope he will be in attendance!!!!!

MINXGUY, glashole and Mop will do their best to fill his shoes, Ken MINXGUY has had a cottage on the river for years and know his way around, glashole is on the Canadian side and brings his knowledge of that side, I have been going up to the 1000 Islands for many years and will help as much as I can. We will all do our best to make this one of the very BEST 1K Donzi runs yet!

The home base will once again be the Edgewood resort... www.theedgewoodresort.com ... 1-888-EDGEWOOD (33439663), ask for Janine, or Cathy. The hotel will block off rooms and try to keep us together. They are operating a scaled down winter schedule, so you may not get someone right away, but they will phone back quickly.

Make your reservations early, this is an extremely popular tourist area. I would shoot for 45 to 60 days in advance everything books tight around the time we want!

They have rebuilt the older docks, and have added some new ones, they will have us all together on the docks if possible the key is to get you registration in early as you can. Make sure to give you boat size when you call Janine or Cathy will handle the rest. They have river rooms where most of the group stays or rooms to suit most any budget, all are quite nice and walking distance to the docks. The weather in July in this part of the world is fantastic, and Alexandria Bay ..... www.alexbay.org .... will be in full summer season swing.

Get you reservations early the 1000 Islands is one place you will never forget! Just ask anyone who has been there it abounds with both beauty and mystique!

Kingston is one place on the list of must sees, there are few other other quaint towns we may hit. We will have a flexible but hopefully a full enough agenda to please both the captains, mates and the little people! The July weather is about as good as it gets but if by chance the weather is not to our liking no sweat there are several really great places to go by land or tour boat. We will try to have at least one or two possibly three neats thing to do each day plus some great river running, and to be sure a lazy trip through the islands so bring your cameras and bathing suits. Splitting into groups for different events is an option to keep eveyone happy!

April 20 Update: And a thank you to Boxy! It turns out the passport thing is not as big a deal as was first thought!
A quote from "Boxy" Phil, just to be clear. A Passport is not required to enter Canada, but US Customs and Immigration requires all travelers, Americans included, to show proper documentation to re-enter the US..... I did a little more asking from the locals, picture ID and boat reg will get you by!

MOP
03-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Here are a few links to get you thinking!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40935&highlight=1000+islands

04 Run
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36422&page=2&highlight=1000+islands

03 Run
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26975&highlight=1000+islands

My friends Liz & Larry's island
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36507&highlight=1000+islands

frclarke
04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi Guys
My wife and I would like to join the group for the run. We're in the west end of Toronto about 3 hours from Kingston - let me know if I can help.
Fred Clarke

MOP
04-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi Fred PM glashole (Shea) he is on your side of the river, he can tell you his thoughts so far. We are kicking around several ideas but have not put them to paper as of yet, but more thoughts are always welcome. As you well know it is one of the most beautiful places to boat and sight see, I would love to have a place of my own up there.

Phil

glashole
04-17-2007, 03:32 PM
BOOKED !

can't wait to see everyone :bonk:

Shea

CHACHI
04-19-2007, 06:07 AM
BOOKED !
can't wait to see everyone :bonk:
Shea
Shea, what day will you be arriving?

Ken

glashole
04-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I will be arriving in Kingston Thursday night spending the night and leaving friday morning

As of right now Fred Clarke will be meeting me in K-town Friday am and running down with me :boat:

departure time from kingston (Collins Bay) will be determined whether or not we will be having company coming up from the states to run together to a-bay or stopping again in Kingston for lunch etc... :cool:

we will be leaving sunday :)

time spend in between to be determined :bonk:

MOP
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I am coming up on the 13th to hang out with my friends on their island so I should be able to come and meet you guys in K town and do the run back. Man I am so looking forward to running the river the one place that has never gotten boring in all the years I have been going up. Will be good to see all of you again.

Phil

CHACHI
04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Shea, my bride doesn't need a reason to go to Kingstown, I am sure we can meet Fri for lunch again.

Ken

MOP
04-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Since you mentioned lunch it must be your treat:yes: :hyper:

CHACHI
04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Check post #8, Shea mentioned lunch.

Ken

glashole
04-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I would think picking up the tab would be the responsibilty of the newest member (fred clarke) :wink:

MOP
04-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Ok Shea it is! I'll spring for ice cream that will keep the girls happy while we watch the Royal :canada: Mounties and their "cute" horses:wink: Watching them do their thing is a must every year!

CHACHI
04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I would think picking up the tab would be the responsibilty of the newest member (fred clarke) :wink:
OK.

Ken

MOP
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
OK.
Ken

Double Ok!

MOP
05-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Time for a BUMP!

Mid July may seem like it is a long ways away, not true. The 1000 Islands is without doubt one of the best boating places you will ever go! But is also major tourist area and will be booking up fairly quick, those of you that are making plans for the 1K run should be making you lodging plans very soon. The Edgewood will be the main place that most will stay at, Ken Minxguy and Tim Morris have another place about 1000 feet south of the Edgewood with some softer on the pocket rates. They should be posting some info on it soon.

Phil

Tim Morris
05-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks to the MinxMan, here it is -

Alexandria Bay Lodge: www.abaylodge.com
315-482-9332, 1-877-417-7827 (fax 315-482-5825)

I spoke with Judy, booked rooms for Don Mugford & myself & Cindy.
$119/nite + $1/ft dock.

Don't know what I'll do with the money I saved, get some
more Koolaid I guess.

glashole
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I am booked at the edgewater

it is a great place to stay, the people are great, and it has a perfect view of down town A-bay

the restaurant on site has a great buffet breakfast :)

the main restaurant has a huge deck overlooking the river and all its activities

docks are in good shape

wherever you stay you should try to make it up :)

Shea

CHACHI
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks to the MinxMan, here it is -
Alexandria Bay Lodge: www.abaylodge.com
315-482-9332, 1-877-417-7827 (fax 315-482-5825)
I spoke with Judy, booked rooms for Don Mugford & myself & Cindy.
$119/nite + $1/ft dock.
Don't know what I'll do with the money I saved, get some
more Koolaid I guess.
ABAY Lodge is on RT 12 across from the Donzi dealer in A-Bay. The docks are very well protected from the raveges of the river. The only problem with the location is you can't bring anything big into the dock because you have to go under RT 12. A 5 min walk will put you right in down town A-bay and they just remodeled a whole mess of rooms. All in all, not a bad deal.
Ken

Tim Morris
05-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I'll spring for ice cream that will keep the girls happy while we watch the Royal :canada: Mounties and their "cute" horses:wink: Watching them do their thing is a must every year!

Yep....here they come!

MOP
05-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Tim you have managed one of the best smiles of the day! Just can't wait for icecream on the patio watching and them:)

Tim Morris
05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Tim you have managed one of the best smiles of the day! Just can't wait for icecream on the patio watching and them:)

Watching them? Hell man...they're watching you!
Looks like they're guarding the exit.

Order up another round of ice cream - on Phil.

problemchild
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Just to keep options open, I am VERY familiar with the river from dark island to ogdensburg, and have a cottage in the middle that everyone is welcome to stop by at along the way -plenty of room to raft off and moore + my aunt owns the cottage directly next door so there's plenty of room to hang out- I can also get around A-bay and the canadian channel.
Happy to help,
-Alex

glashole
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Alex

are you going to come by the edgewater and meet up with us and go for a few runs? :)

Shea

problemchild
06-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Shea,
Thats my plan so far. I'm going to be hanging out in the bay most the weekend, and am free to do whatever.
:yes:

MOP
06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Alex nice speaking with you and glad to have you aboard, we need your expertise with the Ogdensburg area, been there by land many times but not by water it is another neat town.

Phil

MOP
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Due to the efforts of Kenny (Minxguy) we have an opportunity to have the Garmin factory rep come to the 1K event. He will give us a knowledgeable run down on the how and whys of GPS and their general operation. The rep expressed interest, Ken and I would like to know what the interest level would be in having him come to the meet. Post your thoughts so we have an idea if we can make it work! A possible adjunct to diner, lunch what ever!

Phil

Tim Morris
06-07-2007, 07:14 AM
I'd be keen on learning from Garmin. Lot's of people have
these units and put them to good use. I don't know enough
about them and 'feel a burning desire for a new toy coming on'.