PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed Stick Vs. Automatic

DonziJon
01-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I've got a '95 Taco V6, 190hp 5 speed stick 4x4 pickup. It's got 140,000 trouble free miles on it. I tow the Donzi with it and get 22 mpg while doing so, and 27 mpg without the boat. I'm 65 years old. My wife of 40+ years thinks it's time for me to get a new truck. (Probably my "last" truck.) I think my old truck is FINE.

Hears my Dilema: IF.....IF I decide to follow her advice and get a new truck..and mind you, there is NO reason I need a new truck as far as I can see....

Should I get an Automatic or the 6 speed stick?? I'm looking at a New Taco V6, 236hp, and I'm inclined to get a stick, but I need some "practical" input from guys with experience with such decisions. :lookaroun John

Last Tango
01-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Here is some "practical" advice. Your wife thinks you need a new truck. Get a new truck. Get the automatic and be sure to include a factory tow package, 4x4, limited slip (just because it is a 4x4 does not mean it has more than one wheel doing the work). You WILL like it, especially on launch ramps, in traffic, and on icy streets.
I'm a totally dyed-in-the-wool stick-shift man with my sports cars. But my Jeep GC with Hemi and automatic is the tow vehicle, not my Porsche.
Madpoodle has a stick shift dually diesel p-up as do many others on this board. So they may give your a dissenting opinion.
Are you against automatics or just hoping to run the current truck a couple more years and then sell the truck, and the the Donzi as well, because you believe you'll be finished with both about the same time? If you expect to be taking a lot more trips with the Donzi, then there is nothing wrong with moving up to a newer vehicle (maybe consider a 2003 so that someone else takes the hit on the depreciation). www.autotrader.com

Ed Donnelly
01-12-2007, 09:53 PM
If your knees are still in good shape( you lucky bas**rd) and you enjoy shifting...Go For It!!

But, if you are like the Poodle and I, go auto..

My knees are so bad I can't drive my Pantera for more than a 1/2 hr due to the pedals being offset.

3 yrs to go before OHIP gives me new knees....Ed

FOSTER
01-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Own and operate an 2002 peterbilt with 18 speed trans, tired of shifting at end of day. Wife was on me to get a new pickup, bought 2004 diesel dually with auto trans. Now kathy drives my pickup so I get to wash it and put fuel in it twice as much as I ever have. I like the truck guess i'll keep them.

FOSTER
01-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I'll never say, she might read this someday.

DonziJon
01-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys for the input. A little story for anyone who might have a KNEE Issue.

November 1979: I fell off a dirt bike and "did" my left knee. Smashed. The Ortho Doc screwed it back together, while "scraping" away the cartledge so he could do the work. Afterward, he gave me 15 years before the knee would wear out because of the lack of cartlege which is the cussion between the surfaces of the joint.

June 1996. The knee is giving me some problems. I figure I'm geting Old and the knee is probably calcifying. I'm thinking we need to do ONE MORE Cross Country on the Yamaha Venture. We GO. Got to Seattle and the knee is letting me know that things are not going well. Strait back to Rhode Island.

By November, I'm on crutches. I figure I'll wait till after the holidays and then go in to see the Doc. Early December: Pain: Can't wait. Go see my "Internest". The knee is puffy and warm to the touch and swollen (has been for a year) and I can't feel the screw head that I used to be able to "feel" to the touch.

The Doc prescribes 500mg of "Naproxen Sodium" twice a day. Three days later the results are phenominal. I call the Doc to see if he can prescribe a lesser dose for the last few days. He says I can buy a lesser doseage "Over the Counter". It's called ALEVE. I did that. After a week, my knee problem was history. Toss the crutches. I can walk without any pain or discomfort.

ALEVE is an Anti Inflamitory. The inflamation went away. During this whole episode, my Internest insisted I go back to the Ortho Doc who did the knee in the first place just to "make sure." So I did. The Ortho Doc took an Xray and said I needed a NEW knee. I reminded him that I was no longer having any pain. I guess he didn't listen. A week later his secretary called to verify my surgery date.

I responded that there would be NO surgery.

Now it is 2007. I have NOT had ANY issues since then. I take Aleve ..rarely, for any issue I think may be "Inflamation". The knee is a NON Factor.

If YOU have an issue: Aleve comes in 220 Mg tablets. Take TWO in the mornining, TWO in midafternoon and TWO at night before bed...for maybe 3 days...then back off on the doseage. My Ortho Doc verified you can take 1100 Mg of Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) a day.. forever. Doses beyond that, a blood test is suggested to monitor blood levels.

If no positive results are seen in say a week, then this is probably not the solution to your problem. IT'S SAFE.

ORIGINAL POST: I'm still debating on the Stick Vs. Automatic. ...Maybe leaning to Automatic. After all, in spite of the OLD NON knee problem, I AM getting older. :bonk: Dr. JOHN

vrod02
01-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Sounds like the issue a hand is not transmission related.Lol's Auto is the way to go IMHO. Old school is out. Auto's outshift everytime over standard. I've got 250k on my 1500 silverado orig. motor/tran. I'll never own a stick again.From performance to hauling automatic is the times.No nascar comments please.:bonk:

RickSE
01-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Oh come on the new hyd. clutches are almost too easy to drive. I have a 2001 Chev. 8.1L Zf 6-Speed and a 1971 C30 402BBC 4-speed. The 71' clutches like a real truck, the 01' like a car. My wife will drive the 01' but not the 71'. I'd rather have a truck that no one else wants to or can drive. :wink: GO for the 6-speed, less initial coat and better gas mileage. My 500inch 01' gets 15-Mpg with 4.10s; the autos are down around 13-mpg.

DonziJon
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Been Lookin. Going around to the local dealers, etc. (On Sunday) I paid $16,900. for my '95 Taco in January '96. Now I'm lookin at $27,500 MSRP. Now... it's got Air (Std), and some other "Bling" that I probably don't need. OH WELL: I'll probably get over it and.... kill myself. :bonk: John