PDA

View Full Version : 2001 silverado axle question

mikev
01-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I have a 2001 silverado with a 10 bolt limited slip rear axle. My front seal is leaking and I noticed there is a big nut in the middle of they yoke. can I just remove this and slide the yoke off and change the seal? or do you still have to tear the whole rear end apart like in the old days to get at that seal? second question anyone know what size nut it is if I can fix it that way I only have to buy the one socket that fits it. any info would be helpfull and thanks guys.

mrfixxall
01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Yes you can remove it like the old style diff...and check the yoke to make sure the seal didnt put a ring on the seal serface also get the seal from gm it will lAST LONGER..

The nut size is usually 1 1/4'' or 36mm, replace the nut and make sure you use spline sealer on the splines on the pinion gear seal the washer behind tha nut and replace the nut or use red lock tight on the old one.. last make sure you dont over tighten the nut,you need 15-20 inch pounds of drag on the pinion nut...

mikev
01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks mrfixxall for the info so if i understand correctly I can do it without going into the differential just from the outside. sounds pretty straight forward and i would have cranked the crap out of that big nut since its so big good thing i asked surly would have screwed it up.

Rootsy
01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
since the nut preloads the bearings you don't want to overtighten... the i guess "proper way" would be to remove axles and measure the preload, blah blah blah but you can "guestimate" it... on my F150 - 8.8 inch rear... the pinion nut actually backed off (i thought it was the pinion seal) and allowed the gear oil to come up the yoke / pinion spline joint and sling all over the place... not sure bout the GM nut but the FoMoCo nut has a sealer applied to the pressure face... i always add just a smear of RTV ultrablack to the face for that "added" insurance.

mrfixxall
01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks mrfixxall for the info so if i understand correctly I can do it without going into the differential just from the outside. sounds pretty straight forward and i would have cranked the crap out of that big nut since its so big good thing i asked surly would have screwed it up.

BETWEEN THE INNER AND OUTTER PINION BEARINGS THEIRS A CRUSH SLEEVE,WHEN YOU TIGHTEN THE BIG NUT THE CRUSH SLEEVE WILL GIVE ALLOWING THE BEARINGS TO RIDE ON THE BEARING RACES A LITTLE HARDER.
WHEN YOU TIGHTEN THE PINION NUT JUST TAKE ALL THE FORWARD AND BACK WARD PLAY OUT OF THE PINION GEAR AND GIVE IT A LITTLE EXTRA AND KEEP TURNING THE PINION AND YOU WILL FEEL THE PINION PRELOAD TIGHTENING UP...JUST A LITTLE IS OK BECAUSE YOUR NOT REPLACING THE BEARINGS......BTW YOU CAN GET THE SEAL OUT BY PUNCHING A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF IT WITH A SHARP OBJECT THEN PRY IT OUT WITH A BIG SCREWDRIVER...WHEN INSTALLING THE NEW SEAL I HAVE THE PINION SEAL DRIVERS,BUT JUST MAKE SURE YOU PACK THE INSIDE OF THE SEAL WITH GREECE TO KEEP THE SPRING FROM COMING OUT WHYLE IN STALLING THE SEAL..SOMTIMES YOU CAN GET AWAY BY USING JUST A HAMMER OR IF YOU HAVE A BIG ENUFF SOCKET THAT WILL WORK TO...ONLY HIT THE OUTSIDE OF THE SEAL.....
GOOD LUCK

mikev
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks guys looks like i got my mnext project figured out as soon as i can swing by the chevy dealer and get the stuff.