PDA

View Full Version : donzi marine logo plates

lee
01-11-2007, 02:48 PM
somewear i read that someone remade the old donzi marine logo's in metal would really like a set new or old

Rootsy
01-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Try Richard Weaver

MR MAGOO
01-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Hey Lee,

Dick Weaver has the plates you need give him a call 207-636-2133, nice guy, he's a neighbor of mine.

How's everything? Sorry you could not attend Key West. We had a great time! Brian is a pimp! You should of seen the chicks he was pulling!:pimp:

That Sutphen I told you about is still there. I bet you could steal it from him this time of the year.

Hope all is well,

Kurt from Konrad

GeneD
02-01-2007, 06:21 AM
I called Richard quite a few times in the past few months, and have received NO reply!!
Maybe he hates me, or just my guts?:eek!:

Morgan's Cloud
02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Is this the thing commonly referred to as the 'Donzi script lettering' that the early ('65-'69?) models had ?
Not that I need them (well not now anyway) but what are they made of...Chrome on bronze like the originals ?

I would have thought that they would be quite a sought after item .....

Steve

GeneD
02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
The originals were chrome on zinc (pot metal crap).
The ones Richard showed me were chrome on bronze.
:lightning Absolutely gorgeous.:lightning
At the time, I couldn't afford them...:bonk:

Morgan's Cloud
02-02-2007, 06:41 AM
VERY nice !

Mine were gone when I got my boat in -87 and I would have loved to have duplicates.

Hard to believe that Donzi used pot metal to make the originals. I'm sure that one or two that have been on e-bay for sale that were chipped/peeling appeared to have bronze under the chrome.

LKSD
02-03-2007, 08:11 AM
If there is enough interest, I would be willing to look into how much it would cost & how long it would take to cnc new ones out of aluminum. I would be willing to ask my guy at my local custom metal fab shop that we sub some stuff out to from time to time.. :) I dont think they will be cheap though.. I have to imagine the set alone up will take a little while.. Jamie / Lakeside

Scott Pearson
02-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Jamie,
I really dont think they can be done by CNC. They have to much taper to the letters and script. Also the inprint where it says Hi-Pro power boats is a rough texture. It would cost a ton if they could be done. The ones Richard Weaver made are cast. Just like the original ones except in brass. I know he has them, you just need to get ahold of him.

Rootsy
02-09-2007, 06:14 AM
If there is enough interest, I would be willing to look into how much it would cost & how long it would take to cnc new ones out of aluminum. I would be willing to ask my guy at my local custom metal fab shop that we sub some stuff out to from time to time.. :) I dont think they will be cheap though.. I have to imagine the set alone up will take a little while.. Jamie / Lakeside

You don't even want to go there.... been there, done that... I have 4 CNC mills sitting not more than 30 feet from me at the moment... you need an .050 tool due to the tight radii on the lettering, actually a machine with a tool changer is ideal as some spots can be pocketed pretty well with a larger tool... you could do it on 3 axis.. 4 axis would be better... your feed rate and cut depth is so slow with the small tool that it'll take a good day or more just to cut one... that IS after you get someone to give you a clean 3D model and then do all of the programming and there'll have to be probably 3 passes... 1 roughing, 1 mid to get the tapers and one finish to get the final geometry and surface finish... put it this way.. you'll be well into 4 figures just for a single script... and of course as Mr. Pearson said.. the texturing around HI-PERFORMANCE POWERBOATS would be a challenge unless you could mask and do some sort of surface etching...

the easiest way, aside from making a pattern ($$$ as you MUST have an oversize pattern due to material shrinkage) and getting into casting, finishing and chroming... would probably be finding a good pattern maker with a replicator... but i've spoken to the company next door to me that does this and they cringe at it due to time and complexity... as well as lack of a good smooth pattern to begin with... i have investigated having them just make one out of bakolite for me so i can have a pattern for casting... i still don't want to cough up the dough for that... :eek!:

Guess i could always use the Wire EDM or enlist our fellow EDM Guru Bertramboy to cut the lettering and taper and then take it from there with the mill...

Please note that there is NO draft (ie. taper) added to this model in the photo YET and there is about $500 of my time alone just to recreate this much of the script in Solidworks... it is not a standard font anywhere.... If i DO NOT get a pair from Richard Weaver i WILL be making at least one pair for myself... from a zinc based material and then chroming... Only issue is.. do i spend the cash and have an oversize pattern made or do i just use my existing pitted scripts that i have smoothed out with body filler, cleaned up and hope for the best... i've chosen a material with minimal shrinkage rate but there is still some.. it is inevitable...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/donziscriptlogo.jpg

BUIZILLA
02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
the hell with the texture....

LKSD
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I never said it would be cheap or easy.. MY local shop that has a CNC said they could "probably" do it, but they would need to get an extra program to load in the special script.. I wont mention the $$ they told me to start (estimate only), you need to be laying down, not sitting down... :eek!:

I have a few of these things in my shop now. We are rechroming the badges. I figured I would look into this while I had a few there.. This way if I or anyone else had a need for them in the future I could pop some out.. However it doesnt look to be cost effective to do that unless you had a very large demand for a bunch of sets.. And even at that they would still be pricey..

Oh well, It was something different to look into anyway.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

BERTRAM BOY
02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
These could definetly be Wire EDM cut. However, there are some places that would need touched up by mill.

Rootsy, send me a DXF, and I will work up a price....if your willing to do the milling