PDA

View Full Version : Bilgekote Primer

ragbagger270
01-11-2007, 08:01 AM
While I have the engine out of my 22c, I am going to paint and redo the engine bay. I read in this forum that Bilgekote worked great and some used primer. Which primer should I use?

MOP
01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Not sure what shape yours is in but mine had peeling and the usual amount of oil and what ever, I first detergent washed it and got rid of as much loose stuff as I could. Then I used coarse bronze wool to scrub/break the surface then washed it again, any old residue will spoil the new job. I did not use the primer and have no problems, use the search button to find some bilge painting threads.

Phil

gcarter
01-11-2007, 11:56 AM
A great thing about Bilgekote is it will stick to anything. Oil stains that could be removed will show through. A D-A or similar sander with 60 grit or similar is good to use. The Bilgekote is self leveling and comes out glossy so an extraordinary amount of work is not required.

Rootsy
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
if you spray it... do NOT put it on too heavily.. especially with a "home" electric applicator.. it WILL sag off of the surfaces and puddle in low areas (ask me how i know)... light coats to build up... especially on vertical or angled surfaces... DO NOT try to make it opaque on the first or second coat (especially if spraying)... even in warm weather...

scrub the bilge with soap and water.. dawn is great for removing grease... etc... hit it with a DA and some 40, 60 or 80 grit to rough the surface.. after you scrape all of the loose stuff off....

btw... slippery when wet after it has cured...

oldandtired
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I just slopped it in there with a brush after doing a thorough clean and an acetone wipedown. Used no primer. Some of it was over original gelcoat and the rest was over an epoxy stringer replacement. It comes out great and is tough.

Rene