PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Input On Lake Tahoe Trek

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
My family's going to be taking a week's vacation at a resort on Lake Tahoe. I'd love to have my classic 18' V-Drive with me. I don't mind driving it out there and picking up the wife and kid in Reno.
Time's not a factor because I have the whole summer off. I figure it's gonna run me around $1k in gas there and back, and I'm gonna tent camp on the way, maybe hit a couple other lakes along the way. Sounds like a lot until you consider that rental on a 19' 6 cyl inboard at Tahoe will run $640 a DAY , or $2500 a week!

Whadda you guys think? Opinions? Alternatives?

Eric

RickSE
01-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I think you should do it. $1K in gas is probably about right, maybe a little more depending on what gas prices do this summer. What time of the year? If you do it try to come through Northern Arizona/Southern Utah and spend some time on Powell. A group of us will be there in late June and I'm there all summer long. Or even hit some of the other western lakes, Havasu, Mead, Shasta.

yeller
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
RickSE has mentioned some good lakes
Lake Mead is about 450mi south of Tahoe. I'm sure it would be well worth the trip. I've never been, but I've read it's similiar to Powell and Powell is a must do lake trip. If you can swing it, it'd be great if you made it to the Powell gathering.
Shasta, CA is about 200mi west. That lake I have been to and enjoyed it very much.
Havasu is about 550mi south. I'm not sure you'd enjoy Havasu in the summer. It was 115 when we were there last June. It does cool down to a comfortable 113 at night though. Havasu is also more of a party lake and you may not be comfortable taking the family there
About 800mi north of Tahoe is Coeur d’Alene, ID. Again, never been, but it's been voted most beautiful lake in America before.