PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Enclosure?????? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Silver Bullet
01-09-2007, 11:57 PM
The time has come for some tunes and I think I have a happy median.
Ok, to they guys who want to hear their "4" exhaust speakers" and keep the boat as stock as possible, I agree with you. BUT, a little (I stress a little) bump under the hump is good. I have asked the board’s opinion on installing cleats, ski hooks, tow hooks, depth finders and radios (which until now I have not added anything and love it). FYI... I have not added cleats (I use the suction cups to hold fenders), added a depth finder, and no hooks.
To the guys who have put stereos in these boats please let me know if you think this is going to work and will it sound worth a crap? This is for sitting still only; I don't plan on having the radio on while running.
I am not a artist by any stretch of the imagination but try to visualize what I am thinking by the picture and tell me which way if any will work?
My plan is to make this a totally removable enclosure and should sound pretty good with out putting any holes in the boat.
Thanks for your thoughts and Happy New Year!
Bullet :confused:

Silver Bullet
01-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Sorry for such a big file to download. Thats the only way I know how to upload a image.

Also, I should have mentioned that I plan on putting this enclosure in the forward storage bin under the dash

Bullet

Hubjeep
01-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I like the plan to make it removable, radios in boats do not last very long. Instead of mounting the coaxial speakers in separate boxes, why not enlarge whatever current speaker holes you have in the boat to accommodate them?

That will only leave the receiver and sub to be removed/installed. May I suggest firing the sub forward under the dash into the closed bow for better bass response.

A nice nice big harness to power the system, which would be unplugged for removal when not in use would be sweet. :cool:

Carl C
01-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Why not just install the stereo in the dash and speakers in the factory locations? You could make it look factory done. There's lots of room under the bow to hide a sub.

Silver Bullet
01-10-2007, 09:38 AM
No factory radio or speakers came with boat. it's a 1988 model.

Ranman
01-10-2007, 10:10 AM
What model Donzi? Is this for an 18 2+3?

Silver Bullet
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
it's a 22' 2+3. why, did you have an idea I could use?

I even thought about transfering the battery to the engine compartment and making the battery box a sub enclosure but I don't want to drill any holes. I think that would look good though if done right.:eek!:

Bullet

realbold
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I dont think mounting the reciever/player in the same enclosure as speakers is ever a good idea, especially a subwoofer. The cd's will be rockin and rollin a lot more than you want them to. :cussball: :shocking:

glashole
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
if you put the head unit in the dash in front of the passenger it will look stock :)

I was lucky and was given a pretty sweet stereo cover that will block any overspray and it looks awesome (pictures to follow)

there is lots of room at the feet of the passengers and drive to install your mids (6" with directional tweeters in the front) basically just to the rear of the foot rests and behind the front seats

if you want a sub I always thought a nice plexiglass cover with slots would support the rear passengers under the seat cushion and make the sub box to fit under the slotted plexiglass
this would mean no-one could actually touch the speaker and you wouldn't have to worry about damage

I would go with a sub that can work in a sealed enclosure so you don't have to worry about the ports :pimp:

the amp could be installed on the back of the front foot rests

be careful if you are thinking of putting the amp in the engine compartment as it may have electric sparks etc :shocking:

get the jig saw out and start taking pictures along the way

Shea

need for speed
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM
My 22 came with no radio .. so a 5" hole saw and a jig saw and a few other things it looks stock ...... about 4 hours... the worst part was cutting the side panals... :( but it was n;t too bad no subs here ... it sounds good for what it is!

VetteLT193
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
My brother has a 1987 22... He's got a marine bazooka tube in the bow and 4 bose speakers around the interior. Needless to say, it sounds awesome.

I wouldn't go the route of a 'standard' sub box that you would use in a car or house. They are usually made of MDF and don't like water at all.

Silver Bullet
01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
So I get the idea, put the head unit where my glove box is and the 6.5's on the side panels. I agree that would look great if done correctly. I was originally planning on the head unit to sit on top of the sub with some sort of rubber mount?????? That's a good point though about the bass causing the CD to skip if mounted on the sub.:yes:

Am I just being silly thinking that the sub enclosure is not going to get wet under the dash??????? :bonk:

As always thanks for the advice. Whatever way I go I will be sure to put pics up when completed.

MADPOODLE thanks for the help earlier on the image.

How ever my REP POWER went up from ZERO thanks!!!! I am not sure what that means but 2 has to be better than a big fat 0.:lookaroun

Bullet

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
That's a good point though about the bass causing the CD to skip if mounted on the sub.

CDs???

Forget the CDs and go with something that'll accept an input from an iPod. 80 gigs of music stored in a box the size of a pack of cigarrettes!

Eric

Silver Bullet
01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
it will accept a ipod and I certainly agree with 80 gigs.

Hubjeep
01-11-2007, 08:54 AM
OK, so why not just an amp, screw the tuner, and an Ipod?? I could care less about radio since I got mine....

Good idea! Maybe I will do that if I ever get my boat running. :boggled: :boggled:

Maybe using a 4-channel for the coax speakers, and a mono powering a sub in the cuddy.

Ranman
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I think need for speed and glashole are on the right track. Mount the head unit where the glove box is (passenger side or whatever). I like the head units with built in memory and USB that let you load MP3's right to the faceplate. Ipod connection is good too. Do 2 6.5's just behind the footrests and two more 6.5's behind the front seats. These are the current "factory locations" and there's nothing wrong with adding speakers there. This will take care on your mids and highes. For bass, I strapped a 10" Bazooka tube to the ski locker way up front as far as it would go. nothing else will stay there anyway so you're not losing much storage anyway. Fire it forward. Mine is non-powered since I run a 4ch to the 6.5's and a separate 2ch bridged for the Bazooka. IMO, it's the perfect bass solution for a Donzi classic. It fits, has it's own enclosure, is tuned properly and pounds out the bass. A self-powered Bazooka may work well too, but I hav no experience with those. Good luck with your endeavors.

BTW, my boat is an 18 Classis not a 22 Classic.

Silver Bullet
01-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Ranman

Thanks for the advice.

You say you have the bass tube upfront..... I am starting to consider just going that route. Honestly, I have never been a fan of those. However, I have never heard one. I was always under the impression that I needed to build my own enclosure, I know that sounds silly.

With your bass tube does it rattle?

Does it have 2 speakers or 1 and do you have a 8", 10", or 12"??? I don't know much about them.

Like you I only want something that adds a little extra kick to the music. I don't need to see ripples around the boat when it's hitting:eek!:

Thanks

RedDog
01-11-2007, 05:53 PM
OK, so why not just an amp, screw the tuner, and an Ipod?? I could care less about radio since I got mine....

I like having a tuner so I can listen to the ballgames / sport shows (in knoxville it's 24/7 - 365). Also with the tuner I can use Donzi Deb's iPod with an iTrip transmitter or move my Sirius satellite receiver into the boat for temporary occasions. I must admit the sophistication of my receiver/speaker setup is marginal - but fits my needs

realbold
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I like having a tuner so I can listen to the ballgames / sport shows
I hear that, I gotta have a tuner.

Ranman
01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Ranman
Thanks for the advice.
You say you have the bass tube upfront..... I am starting to consider just going that route. Honestly, I have never been a fan of those. However, I have never heard one. I was always under the impression that I needed to build my own enclosure, I know that sounds silly.
With your bass tube does it rattle?
Does it have 2 speakers or 1 and do you have a 8", 10", or 12"??? I don't know much about them.
Like you I only want something that adds a little extra kick to the music. I don't need to see ripples around the boat when it's hitting:eek!:
Thanks
I am with you. Generally, I'm not a big fan of bass tubes (or any ported enclosures). I like old school sealed tight solid boxes for the best kick. However, in this application, building and fiting a box is not incredibly practical. I decided to try a 10" non powered Bazooka tube up under the deck. Mine is literally ratchet strapped (2 of them) to my ski locker. Up under the bow I was able to have a smaller person wiggle up there, loop the ratchet straps around the ski loker and strap down the tube. It does not rattle it does not move, it sounds great firing forward in the 18 (I tested both ways). It's not in the way and works very well for what I was trying to accomplish. I am very happy with it and it's a simple, easy and effective solution. Like I said, mine is non-powered, but I've bridged a Rockford amp to it. 200W RMS of solid clean power. Here's a few pics I found

FWIW Several ladies like to sit on my deck and have me turn up the bump for them. :wink:

Silver Bullet
01-12-2007, 08:27 AM
[/QUOTE] FWIW Several ladies like to sit on my deck and have me turn up the bump for them. :wink:[/QUOTE]

SOLD!!!!!!:propeller

Thanks for the info and certainly the pictures were great. I'll let you know how it comes out!