PDA

View Full Version : Minx performance

Donziweasel
01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Got an offer on my company today (they want two weeks due diligence and one week to close, hopefully done in 3 weeks:) ) and been looking at the 88 Minx for sale on the boards as a project boat and needed some advice. It seems that all the Minx's I have seen have small blocks and hp in the 260-300 range and run in the upper 50's to mid 60's. Anyone know what the hull can handle? How about a Big Block? I am thinking about perhaps a 496 in the 375 hp or more w/Bravo 1. Any advice? Better engine than 496 in the Minx? Scott, Jamie, other Jamie, other Scott, G Carter, JH, Grizz, Rick, Yeller, anyone?

BigGrizzly
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Just an opinion, I would probably do a 383 chev small block to keep it as close to origional as possible. I know Phil did a 383 in his 22 classic and has said he should have put a blig block in it , but ask him. I would not even consider a 496 in that unit. Not because I don't like a 496, its just easier to fit the other big blocks in the same place with fewer mods, and hi per parts are plentiful.

Donziweasel
01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks Grizz, how many ponies can you get out of the 383? Alpha or Bravo? Do you think that Minx is a good candidate for a project boat?

gcarter
01-09-2007, 07:02 PM
The hull can handle anything a 22 can because they are very similar. There are some BBC powered Minxi (isn't that a plural minx?). However the engine compartment is about 6" shorter than a 22. The engine has to be installed sideways.

pmreed
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
And after you install the motor sideways, you attach the paddlewheel:wink:.

Sorry George, I just couldn't resist.

Phil

gcarter
01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
With a coupler on the harmonic balancer, you can run dual paddlewheels.. Cancels out the torque, eliminates the need for hydraulic steering...
With some planetary gear sets so they can turn around in their own length.

gcarter
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
How did Donzi ever miss this opportunity?:wink:

MOP
01-09-2007, 09:29 PM
You guys are a giggle!!!

Donziweasel back to you, I have a 22 with a mild 383 maybe 360-70hp it tops 65.5 full tank and me. I have a lot of hours running next to a couple of Minx, the Minx has very nice balance and runs decent in a chop. I think a BB would upset the balance, take Randys advice, several of the guys have managed about 400 ponies out of a 350. The 383 has a very nice torque range and can make even more ponies, anyone that has had a ride in mine comments on how nice it runs. It is short on top end compared to BB but makes up in handling and economy and can cruise all day at 45mph. Give you an idea of economy, Mario came down and ran with me one weekend this summer. We ran pretty hard and put on some decent mileage over the weekend, I fueled the following weekend and found I used 27 gallons. $75 bucks for a weekend of pure fun is some cheap. Check out GM's HT 383 that with a hotter cam will make good power.

Added note if I had it to do over I would have left the Alpha on and been a couple of miles an hour faster and several thousand richer.

Phil

RedDog
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Back to the question at hand - I have heard of a Minx in my area with big power. I have never seen it but heard about it from RickR. Rick said. but didn't believe, the owner claimed 100+.

PM RickR with questions about it

Cuda
01-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Dalelama's buddy has a BBC Minx. Dale has had it at the Hometown Rally, and was on the run down to Islamorada last year. I never have heard the top speed or handling issue of it, but it is a sweet looking boat.

MP, you know some about that boat don't you??

Donziweasel
01-09-2007, 10:03 PM
:wink: Ok, so here in summary is your advice, stick with a small block, build it 400 hp. How about the drive. Currently it has a King Cobra. Rebuild and keep it or go to a Bravo. How about external hydrualic steering? At what point should I consider this?

Bow thrusters and paddle wheels. For the bow thrusters, I will use a tug boat instead to pull it from the dock. How many Rpm's would the paddle have to turn to hit 70 mph? Steel, wood, titanium or composite paddles? Pitch and size of the paddles? I was thinking stainless steel, 6 ft long at a 45 degree pitch. Does Turbo 1 make these type of paddles?:bonk: :bonk: :)

Carl C
01-10-2007, 09:35 AM
You guys are too funny.......thanks for the laugh......paddlewheels :lookaroun

LKSD
01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Weasel, We will be offering a 383 in carb, efi & blown.. I am almost done pricing the stuff out for resale. The other options are 496 carb, 509 & 540 carb.. The bbc's will also be all forged internals & be also offered in efi & SC for the 509 & 540.. They will be available in longblock or bobtail versions and will also have dyno sheets on these lines.. I am hoping to have pricing available shortly..

A HO 383 set up could be nice.. It is relatively light & puts out good power..

:) Jamie / Lakeside

BUIZILLA
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I can only convey my opinion having owned a Minx for a couple years or so....

If it was ME, i'd do a HT383, good exhaust/mufflers, with a beefed up stock Alpha, and call it a day. Since you may already have a King C, you absolutely won't break that thing with a mouse motor, so have at it..

JH

Donziweasel
01-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Jamie, how many ponies in your 383 EFI? Octane?

LKSD
01-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Jamie, how many ponies in your 383 EFI? Octane?

About 365hp with about 400 + ftlbs torque on the dyno @ sea level. The supercharged version will be over 500hp.. :) jamie

The Hedgehog
01-15-2007, 09:01 AM
About 365hp with about 400 + ftlbs torque on the dyno @ sea level. The supercharged version will be over 500hp.. :) jamie

I am very interested. You have mail. I need an indication ASAP.

LKSD
01-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I am very interested. You have mail. I need an indication ASAP.

Check your PM & give me a shout I need a few more details.. Like blown or just MPI, exhaust you want, mounts, bell housing?? :) Jamie / Lakeside