PDA

View Full Version : Internal Flapper Blow out

The Hedgehog
01-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Anyone else blow out internal flappers before? I have heard of this happening before but thought it was more common on really big blower motors. Evidently regular run of the mill blown 502's will blow them out as well. Bryan and I pulled my tips so I could have them cut down for my switchable tips and I discovered that I had blown one out. I am pretty sure that it is recent. Like maybe when we were testing the shorty last weekend.

Just ordered some new tips from Rex with a lifetime warranty. Not supposed to rattle either. Guess that I should have spent the $200 bucks on them vs the $140 to begin with!

BigGrizzly
01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Actually it happens a lot even on stick boats. repair kits are available. I spent the money for CMI they do work the best.

Pismo
01-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Mine were gone by 35 hours on a stock 502. Got external ones which have lasted and I like them better anyhow.

98shovel
01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
have the rex pipes on my 22 have not blown them out yet but they rattle
when we first put them in it was with a new motor thought the bottom end was comming apart untill we fig out what it was

Last Real Texan
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I ran a set of Rex's behind a 502 550 HP N/a BBC with lightning headers on my Jet Boat and only about 2 inches of pipe from the headers end to the tips begining...Tight fit. MIne never Rattled a bit and I could not even blow them out runnig a 150 shot of NOS on it, only ran a couple of bottles through it , boat got out of shape but thats another story....Great product.
If I could on my set up now I would run them also but my cmi's I have cheap exhaust pipe only with beauty rings and gaskets so I use the old fashioned salsberry flappers, they do work well. No way to do that though on your Gaffrig mufflers though.

Bryan

The Hedgehog
01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Got the Rex's in. They are way more substantial than the previous tips (I guess that they came from Eddie). They will go on Sun when we get back from shopping for an 18 project.

Last Real Texan
01-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Nice indeed.....good luck blowing that one apart! notice how the flapper rod is much more substantial than the previous unit....also much thicker tubing fro the ttips themselves. you will also like he lack of marbles in the engine upon idle.

Good luck oonn the X-18 endevour.

Bryan

The Hedgehog
01-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Nice indeed.....good luck blowing that one apart! notice how the flapper rod is much more substantial than the previous unit....also much thicker tubing fro the ttips themselves. you will also like he lack of marbles in the engine upon idle.
Good luck oonn the X-18 endevour.
Bryan

The Rex tips are in. They are much more substantial than the others. They still rattle at idle though.