PDA

View Full Version : replace my 454 with a 496ho (425hp)

Alexandre
01-09-2007, 05:13 AM
Hello Everyone,
First, I wish you all happy New Year 2007 and the best.
I have a Donzi 22 Classic and I would like to replace my engine with a 496HO (425). I just want to know if it fits easly into the donzi 22 1988 and if I have to change the exhaust pipes I have?
Can you gave me some advise?
I would like to keep the Bravo One and may be put a header kit CMI on it like on the picture with the silent option. Do you think it will be too powered?
Does somebody know about the exhaust pipes i have today? (see the picture)

Thansk for your help,

Sincerely,

Alex

BigGrizzly
01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Poodle is correct on the exhaust and performance. As for the engine swap its a personal choice. I don't remember if yours had a big or small block in it. If it had a big block I probably would find out how much a 496 package cost than see what I could find in a 502BB for the same$

The Hedgehog
01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Poodle is correct on the exhaust and performance. As for the engine swap its a personal choice. I don't remember if yours had a big or small block in it. If it had a big block I probably would find out how much a 496 package cost than see what I could find in a 502BB for the same$

The 496 is nice but I am with Griz on the 502. The 502 mag's and ZZ502's with forged internals are much better to mod. I guess it depends on where you plan to go from there. The BB horsepower game is very addictive!

98shovel
01-09-2007, 08:00 PM
the 502 is the way to go for new power
what about rebuilding the 454 and making the upgrades to it lots of choices
for alum. heads,intakes,ign. ect. then u know whats in it and everthing will fit back in .
no wiring changes ,fuel system or exhaust unless u want

Tony
01-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Welcome aboard, Alex...it's about time you got around to posting!
Where do you boat? Good luck with your engine mods.

:beer:

Alexandre
01-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Thank you very much for all you advices.
Now I am very confused: 502, 496, 454 rebuild???
The boat is based in France on the south ouest cost in a very pretty place.
I imported the boat 1 year and half ago and I have only used it a little.
It was running really well with a beautiful sound.

I had a heat issue with the engine and it seems that the cylinder head gasket is broken.
The question is: Is it better to fix the actual engine and to add some power?
or is it better to change the engine (496 or 502)?
I just don't want to have any technical issues next summer !!

Cuda
01-10-2007, 07:01 AM
If you plan on staying stock, a 496 is the way to go. The closed cooling should alleviate any overheat problems you've had in the past. As far as cast v forged internals, if you don't plan on hopping it up, they will hold up fine. From what I've read, todays cast parts are about as strong as yesteryear's forged parts.