PDA

View Full Version : Hook between port and starboard for the last time...

oldLenny
12-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Here's (http://www.donzi.net/photos/lgreen1001.jpg) port, (don't be scared, it looks better now!!!) and a port helm, and here's (http://www.donzi.net/photos/lgreen1002.jpg) starboard.
Note the angle difference. No structural troubles and both sides inside of the chine are identical.

What's up?

Jamesbon
12-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Hook seems to be par for the course. Are you looking to fill the hook? Not an extremely "hard to do" job.

I can't find the pics of my hull, where I filled the hook with glass.

What's that, a mold in the background???

oldLenny
12-12-2002, 09:02 PM
The difference between the two sides is the unusual "thing" I am told. Ever seen two sides this different?

It is like they were compensating for a portside driver a bit more than the other side...(Yes, 18 Classic molds... :D )

Cuda
12-13-2002, 07:56 AM
I believe the hook was built this way to compensate for the torque of the prop. I have a 20 foot Formula with the hook similar to this.

Cuda
12-13-2002, 07:57 AM
Nathan, exactly how did you go about removing the hook. I was thinking of grinding it off, but is filling it a better option?

mattyboy
12-13-2002, 08:11 AM
Lenny as we talked last nite the hook on mine seems to be consistent on both sides.I have seen my boat run at planning speed and the hook is not in the water, so don't go nuts trying to fix something that ain't broke.I always thought the hook was glassed on to the hull after it came out of the mold????
Lenny put some big hp and k-planes on that puppy you won't need no stinkin hook!

matt

HyperDonzi
12-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Is that on a 16? I remember reading a year ago that the hook just helps it get on plane quicker and is completley out of the water when planed off resulting in no loss of speed.

smoothie
12-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Thats "alot" more hook than I can remember on the 16 that I had,I wonder if it would mess with turning on port side of the boat :confused:

Rootsy
12-13-2002, 06:13 PM
that's looks like a heckuva lot more hook than my hull... here's a photo of what my port side looks like.. near as i can tell just from visual observation the port and starboard on my hull are identical or damn close... but then again my hull is 30 years newer so if your's is meant to be that way i donno... so your guess is as good as mine... we need the knowledge gods on this one...

and as far as helping on plane... with todays hp and sterndrives and trim and props... i doubt the hook really makes much of a difference... just my thoughts though...

looking at that port photo lenny... it seems as though there is a ripple in the side behind the crest of the hook... The hook doesn't even look like a smooth curve, sort of like something was modified or damaged and kind of repaired... that is very strange... the hook seems to protrude to the stripe and it seems to all be contained in the chine and not that pronounced in the bottom between chine and strake. weird...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot043.jpg

HyperDonzi
12-13-2002, 09:25 PM
I just for the first time looked at the photo! Dont think it left the factory like that.

BERTRAM BOY
12-13-2002, 10:22 PM
Lenny,
It looks to me like the 16 I just got has LOTS of hook in it. I'll break out the scale and tape measure tommorrow and get you some numbers.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

BigGrizzly
12-14-2002, 01:34 AM
Our 16 has a lot hok too, we bough it new and has never been restored- no need to. Ours seem to be the same, but havn't measured them on it. I have measures them on the Corsican and they are close. Don't remove them or ride ar slow speeda will suffer, it will porpoise a lot more, I have done this one on Bob Hose's 16- not good

GEOO
12-14-2002, 07:55 AM
Lenny,

If the hook is not a part of the running surface at WOT then leave it in. It will help get on plane quicker and stop porposing.

oldLenny
12-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Jamie, that is an optical. Not a mark or ripple or modification or fix anywhere in it. It is all original gel and inside of hull is orig and un-retouched. I find it all perplexing as starboard is as all of yours are, but not port. Underside of hull hook (below chine) is identical between sides. Looking forward to Cliff's observations on his "new" one.

Scott Pearson
12-14-2002, 02:32 PM
You should see the hook on the Bench Seat Hornet....Lots of it.

(NJ)Scott