PDA

View Full Version : NOOB - picked up free GT210 Cuddy

Hubjeep
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Howdy all,
total noob to Donzi's here. Current boat is a 1969 13' Whaler and past boat was a 18' Yamaha jet boat (didn't like that one).

So, a friend in CT linked me over to craigslist "free" section ad with a 21' Donzi on the island (Long Island). I go to look at it, and it is in better shape than expected. It was "her" ex-husbands, he last used it in 2005 when the engine "blew", since then it sat uncovered.

The hull seems to be in nice shape, the floor is a little mushy in spots. As far as I know this is plywood, how difficult is it to lay some new wood in? :confused: I found this thread, though info on base wood thickness and fastening method would be helpful: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25420

From what I gather the engine (OMC Cobra drive with V6) is basically a Chev. 4.3L, and a automotive block could replace it (I know, auto and marine are not the same output specs).

I see in the Model Listing page that this boat was only made for one year, as is a few other models, why would a company bother making one for only a year? :confused:

The cuddy cabin is in nice shape, with the exception of the head liner falling down. Please let me know what you think. :yes: Especially in respect to the engine and floor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/Donzi/PICT0004-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/Donzi/PICT0003-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/Donzi/PICT0008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/Donzi/PICT0001.jpg

And it came with a free noodle!!!!!!! :jestera:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/Donzi/PICT0003.jpg

Thanks!
-John :cool:

Formula Jr
01-09-2007, 06:04 AM
My hat is off to you John! That was a great score and also would have been a great score @ ~ $1500. It looks like it will clean up well. Plus you get a free noodle out of the deal! The sole, (floor) was a concern with the OMC Donzis and the plywood they used. This isn't a boat that you need to "restore," - there are lots of them that came under the OMC umbrella - you just don't want people stepping through the sole. New ones, felt soft in the floor, so you may not even have a problem there. This is kinda perfect for you, if your only other boats were small. Lots of learning about docking and stuff and how to do an over nighter on the hook await you.

Lets deal with the engine first. Don't get carried away that that will be expensive. You may have a perfectly good engine, good for about 45-49 mph. But something happened to it and you don't know the history. You didn't say what your motor experience is, but we know it isn't with marine engines. We can tell you very quickly, what it most likely is with the one you have, if you want to follow that route, - MOP will set you up- or, you can buy a new engine, or you can buy an engine out of a boat salvage yard, or Reman.
With all the storms that totalled out boats two years ago in Florida , finding a 4.3, shouldn't be that hard as a drop in.
I will leave it to "our" people that are on the ground to tell you what a price should be. We don't get excited about GT 210's, because the motor heads all want to go 100 miles and hour.

The floor you can go expensive or not. Or not even deal with it, since this is a step-up any way, and a cool way to get into the donzi network.

Congrads... zero down from the start. very cool.

Hubjeep
01-09-2007, 08:07 AM
The sole, (floor) was a concern with the OMC Donzis and the plywood they used. New ones, felt soft in the floor, so you may not even have a problem there. This is kinda perfect for you, if your only other boats were small. Lots of learning about docking and stuff and how to do an over nighter on the hook await you.

Nice, pulling the carpet up should give me a better idea of the condition, there is green mold all over it (pic #2).

You didn't say what your motor experience is, but we know it isn't with marine engines.
My only experience with marine engines was swapping in a rebuilt Yamaha1200PV (TWICE) into the Jet boat. :bonk:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/FromoldHD812-1.jpg

Beyond that it has been all automotive fabrication; swapping a turbo diesel into my Jeep, and working on another swap now.

Just yesterday I got a crash-course on salt water cooling from a mechanic friend (I had no idea how the system worked). Risers sound like something that should be replaced to avoid potential engine damage. :eek!:

We can tell you very quickly, what it most likely is with the one you have, if you want to follow that route, - MOP will set you up- or, you can buy a new engine, or you can buy an engine out of a boat salvage yard, or Reman.

Is is true that an automotive 4.3L block (of correct year) with a marine cam and brass freeze out plugs would work in this marine application?

The floor you can go expensive or not. Or not even deal with it, since this is a step-up any way, and a cool way to get into the donzi network.
Congrads... zero down from the start. very cool.

What is the plywood secured (screwed?) down to? Fiberglass ribs? :confused:

Also, how do the fuel tanks generally hold up? :confused:

Thanks,
John :cool!:

gold-n-rod
01-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I would caution you to inspect carefully WHERE the rainwater has been sitting (pooling) during the time it's been left uncovered. Was the drain plug out? Was the flow strong through the drain? Or plugged with leaves and debris?

Here's why it's important to know. This boat was laid up with a lot of untreated plywood including the floors, bulkheads, stringers, etc. If a lot of water was left sitting in the bilge, it will seep into any crack or hole (including screw holes) in the resin applied over the plywood. This water will wick into the plywood (under the resin) and start to rot. The screws holding down the seats, the screws holding down the floor over the fuel tank, the ring around the teak floor hatch, anywhere the resin seal is broken can be a problem. If the plywood structure is rotted, you have a real problem. Then it's worth what you paid for it!!! :(

Sitting uncovered is a terrible thing to do to a boat. Let's hope you caught this one before it's too late.

Keep us posted and good luck!

realbold
01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Burns my *** when I see boats left uncovered:mad: If you're gonna remove the cockpit floor you'll get a look at the condition of the stringers and bulkheads unless its full of foam. If it is make sure the foam isn't wet. I would just get rid of it. I'm replacing the floor on mine. Use 3/4" marine ply glassed on the bottom screwed to the bheads & stringers with a bead of 5200, fill the screw holes and glass the top and around the edges. I'm using balsa cored panels on mine.

Formula Jr
01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I should have read the original post a little closer.

By "ex-husband," was this a divorce or was she widowed?
In other words, do you know you "own" the boat entirely?

Thats the first thing.

You might have to put it back. You may have been assigned her interest only in the boat.

I absolutely, never buy, take possession of, or even consider
any item that comes out of a recent divorce.

I would first contact the "ex" and see if the boat was a point of contention.
See if he released his interest in it, or that the boat was awarded to her in its entirety.

Till then, DO NOTHING to it. Don't post anything here if you have done anything to it.

Never underestimate the capacity of people to act badly and not care about enjoining you in their little battle. Boats are places where you get to see this in ALL its ugliness. Wrath of a woman scorned, doesn't care about collateral damage.

Its burn down the universe for some. They will even give their children to the pile of hate.

This could be a horror show for you if 1/2 interest was still held by
the "ex."

Hubjeep
01-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I should have read the original post a little closer.

By "ex-husband," was this a divorce or was she widowed?
In other words, do you know you "own" the boat entirely?

f a woman scorned, doesn't care about collateral damage.

It was a divorce, he owes her child support so he gave her the boat and trailer so she can sell it. She found no one wanted the boat so she gave it away, and is now selling the trailer. I have the signed over title ready to take to the DMV.

Hubjeep
01-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Howdy all, I have been looking into my engine options and a couple people suggested the installation of a small V8 (350) in place of the current V6 (OMC drive).

If this is at all possible, would a V8 bolt up to the outdrive housing, and would the housing accept a V8? What motor mount mods would be needed?

I did notice that exhaust manifold/riser kits can be had for the V8's at about half the price versus V6 ones. :confused:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhaust-Manifold-OMC-Mercruiser-Volvo-Penta-Inboard_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQihZ007QQ itemZ170069035861QQrdZ1

Just throwing around ideas. :)

Here is a pic of the V6, I pulled the manifolds yesterday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/Donzi/PICT0002.jpg

Thanks, John :cool:

florida gator
01-13-2007, 09:38 AM
If your drive is the same as mine 350 works. That's what I have. What kind of money are you going to be able to restore this for? Mine will be for sale soon and knowing many of the repairs you need, it may not cost you any more to buy mine ready to go.

Hubjeep
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Howdy all,
I am still throwing around engine options for my GT210 Donzi. The original 4.3L OMC V6 needs to be replaced. I have yet to pull it out and assess the feasibility of a rebuild, but would like to discuss my options.

From what I hear from a number of people, a 4.3L (s-10 blazer?) automotive block can be used in place of a marine block once brass freeze out plugs are installed and ideally a "towing" or marine camshaft. Any idea what year blocks would work? :confused:

Another option would be to go with a V8, part of me would like to stay with the V6 since besides the block, the only other big part I will need is new manifolds and risers (don't want to risk using the rusty old ones, especially since I do not know their history). Then outdrive ratios come into play, as well as motor mounts, shift linkage, and exhaust routing.

Thanks, John :cool: