PDA

View Full Version : On Board the Earthrace Boat

Barry Eller
01-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Too foggy in Pensacola Bay to boat today. The Earthrace Boat has been in Pensacola Harbor for a 3 day visit. It moves on to Destin, Fl tomorrow. For a $5.00 donation, you can tour the vessel. Here is some photos Denise and I took this morning. We bought their Part 1 video and a cool hat. Now back home before the rain starts again.
Visit the Earthrace website http://earthrace.net/

BigGrizzly
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Barry thanks for the pictures, I enjoyed them

Last Tango
01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Excellent pix! Thanks for getting the "real inside scoop" on this boat for the board!

McGary911
01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I've always thought that boat was cool as hell. That's 5 bucks well spent for sure. I just checked the website and it looks like they're headed my way soon:

Jacksonville, Florida (Sun-Wed Jan 14-17)

I just put a reminder on my cell phone. I'm gonna check it out for sure.

Barry Eller
01-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Excellent pix! Thanks for getting the "real inside scoop" on this boat for the board!
These guys are living in this Submarine. When I first stepped on board, I smelled diesel fuel and thought about the diesel submarines on display I've toured.(No, I'm not a Submariner). I also thought about the movie "Das Boot".
These guys are living on this boat and traveling the coast of the United States. Then they are going around the world in it.
They have my respect and support $.
The video I purchased today shows the beginnings of this boat and the people behind it. Very impressive.
Support Earthrace anyway you can.
Its our future.
http://www.earthrace.net/

Formula Jr
01-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I was trying to figure out what the two top fins were for.
Then I watched the little wave piercing vid. Those must be the air intakes.
:wink:

DONZI
01-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Great crew to chat with also.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47255

McGary911
01-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I had the day off today, and the Earthrace boat is in town until Wednesday, so I checked it out. The crew was super cool and answered the million questions I had. When I saw it, the pilot's seat had broken off the carbon fiber pedistal. They were hoping to get the mount rewelded tomorrow.

I was wondering what happened to the intakes F Jr mentioned if they went thru a wave taller than the vents. They told me they've gone thru 40' waves with no problems. The actual air intakes are in the rear of those fins, so they are less likely to suck in water....

Currently they have some bronze props on there, but are going to be trying some carbon fiber ones, that actually flex to act as variable pitch props. Very cool. Each blade will be able to replaced separately in case they get damaged. Kind of like a modular hub design. I have a bunch of pics too.

Barry, thanks for giving me the heads up on this one. If anyone has a chance to check it out, don't miss it.

Barry Eller
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Gary, its a cool boat. I bought the 2'x3' poster, its being framed for my office. The record attempt is in March, I'll be following it on their website.

The crew told Denise and I that the Brocolli family that makes the James Bond movies is talking with them about using the boat in a future James Bond Movie. It's a natural for 007!

Morgan's Cloud
02-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Man it's a small world .....
I bumped into my great friend and boating lunatic partner of 37 years , ' Bruce ' yesterday.
At the Miami show he met these guys and saw the boat ... then bought himself a seat on the first leg from Barbados to the Pacific side of the Panama Canal. He will be the first 'paying passenger' that they take as a way of financing the effort.
I will say that he could have bought a lot of gas for his 28ZXO for the cost of the ticket ... even at $7 a gallon ! :eek!:

Barry Eller
02-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Cool Morgan

They told me I could take EarthRace out and drive it if I would fill the fuel tank.....3000 gallons....

Morgan's Cloud
02-28-2007, 06:47 AM
:biggrin: :biggrin:
Did you say "Sure , I'll just take it from Fiji to New Zealand ...." lol
I'm glad that he's going on the first leg ... These guys are trying to shave something like 10 days off the existing record and I think that if they get down to the end of their time frame/goal and it's obvious that they won't be making a record it will be harder to get enthusiastic 'civilians' to go along.
It's a lot easier to believe that you'll be a part of history on the first leg when you're running on time.....
Nonetheless , Bruce also seems to have another bee in his bonnet after this one ......
The New York to Bda powerboat record ...... I can see what's coming :bonk:

zelatore
03-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Hope they sorted out their fuel problems.

When they were here in San Francisco, I happened to be launching a 65 Carver at the same yard they were having some repairs made at. I knew the Cummins tech who was working on the thing - he was all in a twist because they were running bio-diesel at 100% and it was screwing up the fuel system. Apparently Cummins doesn't approve straight bio-diesel.

A lot of the rag baggers out here found that out the hard way too - they all thought it would be cool to run bio diesel and be all enviro-cool. Oops - that stuff isn't compatible with standard fuel systems. You know, I hear injection pumps can be pretty expensive.

Don

BUIZILLA
03-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Anything over 20% mix on Bio fuel is disasterous for your wallet....

but GREAT for mine...

:yes:

BigGrizzly
03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
They will get it sorted out. It will take time. Just when they do there will be another type fuel solution that will need sorting out. Funny my 1977 Accord hatch back would get a constant 48 mpg on regular, now the Hybreds are doing this with electric assists wow what progress. Don't get me wrong I think it is great to do the ecology thing it buys Buzz new boats LOL. I worked for a company who's goal is also conservation. We come out with a 225 outboard and people want more HP, more acceleration, etc. We do have the most fuel efficient engine per HP out there. These are real tests because I had been involved in them, no tricks here, same boat same fuel and same conditions if possible. Nuff said! I hope the Earth Race boat does well. If for no other reason than it is a competition and sparks more research and usually more improvements.

DONZI
03-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Sad news from the Earthrace venture.:frown:
http://www.comcast.net/news/international/index.jsp?cat=INTERNATIONAL&fn=/2007/03/19/614201.html&cvqh=itn_speedboat

Morgan's Cloud
03-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Hopefully the investigation will reveal what caused this tragedy and they will be on their way soon.
You always worry about legal technicalities in that part of the world .
I spoke to my buddy 'Earthrace Bruce' yesterday just back from Panama and he really enjoyed his leg of the trip. It appears to have been a hell of a learning experience too.
He was at the helm in the middle of the night when the props began to delaminate and despite the running conditions with the props regularly breaking the surface he knew something was going wrong.
Looks like we have'nt lost our ability to break things nautical :bonk:
He did say that at night you have to rely soley on the radar as it was mostly moonless and you could'nt see 10' in front of you.