PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Speedmaster

problemchild
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
One quick question,
I've heard of a "volvo speedmaster" gearfoot but don't know to much about them. I was wondering what everyone thought of them and what their pro's and cons are (performance gains, durability, ect...)
Thanks again
-Problem Child

Mr X
01-04-2007, 06:56 PM
They are very rare and parts are impossible to find for them now.

tiger lily
01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
there kick ass, i want one real bad, i have posted questions about them before, i however can not find one anywhere, and if you can find them, oh boy are they expensive

maddad
01-05-2007, 09:26 AM
They are VERY,VERY dangerous! If you find one, contact me and I'll make sure to take it away so it can't hurt you.:wink:

BigGrizzly
01-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Get a hold of GEEO he used to know where one or two were some time ago. They are very fragile and no parts in the US to fix them. You might try Patric Sweden-board member to look in Europe for you. I have no interest in one anymore.

problemchild
01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys, Anybody know what else I could do for less drag? Also, How much would a higher gear ratio and less pitch on the prop to for my 18 classic?
Problem child
P.S. Thanks madpoodle for the picture, man they're sleek!

BigGrizzly
01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Less drag or better speed? I wish I could help on both counts but the speed I can.

Cuda
01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Is this the same drive?

tiger lily
01-06-2007, 11:55 AM
cuda, i have no clue what that drive is, but the upper doesnt really look like a volvo drive, i could be completley wrong like usuall though

Danny
01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I very fortunate a couple of years ago, with the help of another board member I acquired a pair of edrives that came offa 73 Doral.
If anyone every sees any parts new, used or even broken I'd be interested.
Through a gentleman in Florida that I met online through another baord member I got some seals and gaskets as well as some expanded parts diagrams.
Quite willing to share the parts diagrams,I can scan and email them.
I know the whereabouts of at least 2 more in Ontario, but those people are like me, they don't want to part with.
Mr X the housing you sold on ebay last year, what part of Canada did it go to ?
Danny

Ed Donnelly
01-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Danny; Have you talked to Ken lately??? ..Ed

dwiggl
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Would like copies of the schematics. I know of a gentleman that has one, though don't think he is willing to part with that piece of his boat....
Would be a great excuse for me to talk boats with him!
dwiggl@hotmail.com
Thanks! Don

Danny
01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Don I'll get them to you the first of the week, my scanner at home just passed away.

Ed,no I haven't ,I tried to call him in Oct/Nov a couple of times. Was thinking about a Sunday drive to go see. I'd like to keep track of the Doral as well.

Danny

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
I am new to this board, but not to Donzis. I had my first 18' 2+3 (red and white) in 1973. It was a 1971, powered by an LT1 Corvette engine coupled to a Volvo Penta 270 drive. I eventually added a speedmasters lower foot in about 1976. I had problems with propping it and cavitatation, but a wider/longer cavitation plate took care of that problem. I eventually sold it. Through the years I have had 2 GT21s and a 18' V-drive Corsican. In about 1993, I talked a friend of mine (he has unfortunately passed on due to melonoma.) with a 1985 Eliminator Limited Edition Daytona 23' set up with a Volvo Penta drive into buying a Volvo speedmasters lower foot. He was elated by going from 76MPH to 93MPH after all the modifications were complete (cavitation plate was widened and lengthened), and the right Ron Hill prop was found along with the correct thrust washer. He ended up buying 3 of them since they did not like his 600HP engine, and I remember him telling me they were difficult to find. Back then (in about 1994) he was able to get them repaired at some shop in California (I can't remember the name right now). Anyway, I eventually bought the Eliminator and changed it over to a Bravo drive so I still have the 3 Volvo speedmaster drives and the Daytona. I think one of them was repaired. A guy could have a good machinist make the gears and shafts, and I would think the seals and bearings could be found. I don't know who might be contacted, though. If I remember correctly, there was more than one gear ratio available. I live in north Texas at Lake Texoma, so if anyone wants to look at them, just email me at DGill25960@aol.com and we can get together. By the way, I think the speedmasters lower foot will bolt right up to the earlier 250, 270, 280 drives at least. Bill (Conquistador del mare)

One quick question,
I've heard of a "volvo speedmaster" gearfoot but don't know to much about them. I was wondering what everyone thought of them and what their pro's and cons are (performance gains, durability, ect...)
Thanks again
-Problem Child

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I have 3 of them. Read my reply on the board. Bill (Conquistador)

there kick ass, i want one real bad, i have posted questions about them before, i however can not find one anywhere, and if you can find them, oh boy are they expensive

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2007, 02:27 PM
You might want to read my post. Bill (Conquistador)

They are VERY,VERY dangerous! If you find one, contact me and I'll make sure to take it away so it can't hurt you.:wink:

Tank
05-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi all
Is this the same as the E drive?:eek!:
Tanks

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2007, 07:05 PM
This was my first post that I made this morning, but it apparently never made it on to the board - here it is:
I am new to this board, but not to Donzis. I had my first 18' 2+3 (red and white) in 1973. It was a 1971, powered by an LT1 Corvette engine coupled to a Volvo Penta 270 drive. I eventually added a speedmasters lower foot in about 1976. I had problems with propping it and cavitatation, but a wider/longer cavitation plate took care of that problem. I eventually sold it. Through the years I have had 2 GT21s and a 18' V-drive Corsican. In about 1993, I talked a friend of mine (he has unfortunately passed on due to melonoma.) with a 1985 Eliminator Limited Edition Daytona 23' set up with a Volvo Penta drive into buying a Volvo speedmasters lower foot. He was elated by going from 76MPH to 93MPH after all the modifications were complete (cavitation plate was widened and lengthened), and the right Ron Hill prop was found along with the correct thrust washer. He ended up buying 3 of them since they did not like his 600HP engine, and I remember him telling me they were difficult to find. Back then (in about 1994) he was able to get them repaired at some shop in California (I can't remember the name right now). Anyway, I eventually bought the Eliminator and changed it over to a Bravo drive so I still have the 3 Volvo speedmaster drives and the Daytona. I think one of them was repaired. A guy could have a good machinist make the gears and shafts, and I would think the seals and bearings could be found. I don't know who might be contacted, though. If I remember correctly, there was more than one gear ratio available. I live in north Texas at Lake Texoma, so if anyone wants to look at them, just email me at DGill25960@aol.com and we can get together. By the way, I think the speedmasters lower foot will bolt right up to the earlier 250, 270, 280 drives at least. Bill (Conquistador del mare)

One quick question,
Thanks again
-Problem Child

BRIAN73
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi,

You can buy my E-Drive (New Innards Feb 07), and it even comes with a 78mph X-18.

See the classified section

Brian

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I wrote my first post yesterday, but it was never added to the board. I am new to this board, but not to Donzis. I have had a 1971 18' 2+3 powered by a Corvette LT1 (350CID/350HP), 2 - GT 21s, and a 18 Corsican v-drive. I ended up buying a 1985 Eliminator Limited Edition Daytona 23' from a friend who had added a Volvo speedmaster lower foot after I recommended it for speed. I had bought a brand new one ($1600 back then) in about 1976 for my 18'. With the speedmaster, he went from 76MPH to 93MPH after doing some modifications like increasing the size of the cavitation plate. He ended up buying every one he could find in about 1993. I ended up with the 4 drives, but I changed over to a Bravo drive, so they have been at my storage business ever since. From what I can tell, one or two of them have good gear sets. There are no bottom fin plates or at least I can not find them right now. 3 of the speedmasters have had larger cavitation plates added. Last night I unwrapped them and set them up for some pictures along with 6 - SS high performance props (mostly left hand). The props are from 21" to 32" pitch with one being a four blade. At least one of them is a Ron Hill. If anyone wants to look at them, I live in north Texas at Lake Texoma. You can email me at Dgill25960@aol.com for the pictures if I can't figure out how to load them here. Bill (Conquistador del mare)

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I wrote my first post yesterday, but it was never added to the board. I am new to this board, but not to Donzis. I have had a 1971 18' 2+3 powered by a Corvette LT1 (350CID/350HP), 2 - GT 21s, and a 18 Corsican v-drive. I ended up buying a 1985 Eliminator Limited Edition Daytona 23' from a friend who had added a Volvo speedmaster lower foot after I recommended it for speed. I had bought a brand new one ($1600 back then) in about 1976 for my 18'. With the speedmaster, he went from 76MPH to 93MPH after doing some modifications like increasing the size of the cavitation plate. He ended up buying every one he could find in about 1993. I ended up with the 4 drives, but I changed over to a Bravo drive, so they have been at my storage business ever since. From what I can tell, one or two of them have good gear sets. There are no bottom fin plates or at least I can not find them right now. 3 of the speedmasters have had larger cavitation plates added. Last night I unwrapped them and set them up for some pictures along with 6 - SS high performance props (mostly left hand). The props are from 21" to 32" pitch with one being a four blade. At least one of them is a Ron Hill. If anyone wants to look at them, I live in north Texas at Lake Texoma. You can email me at Dgill25960@aol.com for the pictures if I can't figure out how to load them here. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I have posted a few messages, but when I add them a window comes up and says "message will not be added until a moderator has looked at it" or something like that. They are never added. They are not offensive or anything, so I have to wonder why? Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I wrote my first post yesterday, but it was never added to the board. I am new to this board, but not to Donzis. I have had a 1971 18' 2+3 powered by a Corvette LT1 (350CID/350HP), 2 - GT 21s, and a 18 Corsican v-drive. I ended up buying a 1985 Eliminator Limited Edition Daytona 23' from a friend who had added a Volvo speedmaster lower foot after I recommended it for speed. I had bought a brand new one ($1600 back then) in about 1976 for my 18'. With the speedmaster, he went from 76MPH to 93MPH after doing some modifications like increasing the size of the cavitation plate. He ended up buying every one he could find in about 1993. I ended up with the 4 drives, but I changed over to a Bravo drive, so they have been at my storage business ever since. From what I can tell, one or two of them have good gear sets. There are no bottom fin plates or at least I can not find them right now. 3 of the speedmasters have had larger cavitation plates added. Last night I unwrapped them and set them up for some pictures along with 6 - SS high performance props (mostly left hand). The props are from 21" to 32" pitch with one being a four blade. At least one of them is a Ron Hill. If anyone wants to look at them, I live in north Texas at Lake Texoma. You can email me for the pictures if I can't figure out how to load them here. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I give up on trying to write longer messages. Email me if you want to look at these 4 speedmaster drives or 6 props. Bill

Cuda
05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm almost positive that Galen at Speedmaster's here in Deland has two of them on his 28 Bertram. He may know where to find the parts.

BRIAN73
05-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I found a very pricey "New Old Gear Set" for sale. I can Pm details if anyone is interested. I think the quote was something like $3,500.00 just for the double ring gear and the two shafts. The bearings are available at any bearing house.

Brian