PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky travel tip

Formula Jr
01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm setting up my summer trip to Italy - Honey Moon really...
We are going to fly in to Rome and out of Naples after spending a few days riding around Capri in a Vespa. There is a hydrofoil that runs out of Sorrento to Capri that takes cars and bikes.

As many know, the airlines have hiked up prices to reflect the new AVGAS prices. Our best round trip airfare was pricing out at $1500 for the both of us: From and back to Seattle.

I kept seeing all these very inexpensive Round trip flights to Italy out of JFK in New York. These are in the 600 dollar range for two RT tickets to and from JFK.

Heres the sneaky part. JetBlue flys directly from Seattle to JFK. JetBlue never shows up in any of the web airfare search engines. Everything is booked directly and only through their own web site.

We will have to pickup our luggage and then go through security again to get on the cheaper major carrier flight out of JFK but the saving are looking to be in the 500 dollar range. Thats four days of renting a big Vespa in Italy!

Anyway, it seems like this method could be used for access to many other lead loss type flights that originate from JFK.

RedDog
01-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Good tip -

probably wouldn't work today but... I was flying from Knoxville to DC with a layover in Nashville. My sister who lived in Nashville was also going to DC but her ticket was several hundred dollars more than mine from Knoxville. So I bought her ticket, flew to Nashville and handed her her ticket - of course she did have to do carry-on luggage only.

Formula Jr
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I have been thinking about the Priceline. Has anyone done this? Did it work?

I don't like the blind part of it. The days are fixed that I can travel.

pmreed
01-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Back in the early 70s, I spent 2 years in Naples while in the Navy. Naples was a cool city, but I've heard that it's gone way downhill. I rented a little villa overlooking the bay...Vesuvius to the left, Sorrento dead ahead, and Capri off to the right. You won't really need a Vespa on Capri; check a map; there aren't that many roads. We just took the bus. You could use one on Ishcia though, the bigger island to the north. I recommend you take a day and take the ferry from Capri to Positano and "Vespa" the Amalfi highway. Way too much to see in one day, but it's a trip you'll never forget.

Phil

Formula Jr
01-04-2007, 04:58 AM
I understand, Phil what you mean about not needing a car or a bike while in Italy. Its just nice though to gunkhole up and around the remote castles. Our best day, last time we were in Italy, was to ride from Florence down to Siena on the "Dua, Dua, Dua"; (222) that rides on the hill ridges. That was magic! There's just something about being on a bike and doing the back roads in that ancient land that isn't easy to explain. You can pick any road and it goes someplace that is interesting. We by serendipity, ending up at the Castle Chianti while the monks were singing. Singing in a church, built on an etruscan site, which was later a Roman Site and then a cathiolic site. Time is a forever thing in Italy. You can feel it.
I picked up a piece of marble that was just on the ground. It was a part of an ancient fountain, maybe a thousand years old. I just put it back. I'm probably the 20,000th person to pick up that particular piece and then put it back down where it was found. This is what I love about Italy. I feel like I've been there. My wife feels the same thing.

Patrik Sweden
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Try NWA to Amsterdam or SAS to Copenhagen, they fly directly from Seattle to Europe. From Amsterdam or Copenhagen you can find very cheap tickets to Italy.

I just came home from Seattle with NWA to Amsterdam, from Amsterdam to Stockholm with KLM. Total $900!

If you choose NWA and KLM or SAS you just need to check in once, at Tacoma/Sea

Good luck!