PDA

View Full Version : Saw a flyover of 14 fighter jets today..... wassup?

gold-n-rod
01-02-2007, 04:31 PM
My wife and kids were in Kalamazoo, Michigan today to visit my 96 yo grandmother. At lunch, just as we were walking into the restaurant, 14 fighter jets flew over, heading northeast, in 7 pairs, one pair after another.

I jokingly told my kids that if we were in the middle east, that would mean the beginning of a real bad day.........

Turns out they were headed to Grand Rapids, Michigan as part of President Ford's funeral ceremonies.

Not as showy as the Blue Angels, but cool because of the historical significance. Glad my kids could witness a little history today.

gcarter
01-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Things like that can give you a sence of connection to history. It's always a lot better than just reading about it.
Back in the early '70's, I spent two consecutive Christmas seasons in Vail while President Ford was vacationing there. He had a small condo there and while president, he would swap condos for a much larger, and remotely situated one for about 10 days each Christmas.
Well, those two years we had to contend with all the SS guys and girls along with the ski patrol and their seeming newly aquired authority while the president was in residence.
One of those years, the evening after President Ford departed, the ski patrol and SS folks threw a party at the building at the bottom of Lions Head gondola. I happened to be killing some time at that location waiting for a bus. There was a SS agent making a call to the White House on a pay phone (do you remember pay phones?). He ended up being connected to another SS agent who happened to take the call while in the bed room of one of the president's daughters.
I thought that was interesting.....then a few months later it was announced that the daughter was getting married to a SS agent!!!!!
I'll never forget that Christmas.

rustnrot
01-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Now that's what I call Safe Sex, can't get anymore Protection than that!!!

Rootsy
01-03-2007, 09:12 AM
gonna be more jets over GR this afternoon at the funeral according the the radio this morning... 21 of em.... apparently flying the river south to north...