PDA

View Full Version : Cann't figure battery out

florida gator
01-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Battery 2 has nothing. New battery, fully charged, connections tight?? It started to crank and then nothing not even guages.

Battery one everything works fine.

Other than the obvious connections where else should I look?

BUIZILLA
01-01-2007, 11:20 AM
key switch....

mphatc
01-01-2007, 07:58 PM
If the wiring is correct, check the battery, with a voltmeter, it should be over 12 volts , between 13.2 - 14 volts.

If voltage is good, a load test will let you know.

Just because a battery is new doesn't mean it is good . . . :confused:

If the battery tests OK I would suspect the battery switch.

Good Luck!
Mario L.

florida gator
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I will test it. It should be charged because it started to crank and when I stopped, pumped the throttle a few times and tryed again I had absolutely nothing.

I will check the switch too.

hardcrab
01-02-2007, 02:37 PM
compare the symptoms with the batteries reversed

Cuda
01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Did you get a 22? I read on another forum where you said you had a 22 Donzi. Did you sell your other one?

florida gator
01-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Did you get a 22? I read on another forum where you said you had a 22 Donzi. Did you sell your other one?

Same one. It's 21'8" and I know I want a few feet bigger than 22'. I don't want to sell until I buy my next one. I'm affraid I may sell then it may take me a while to find the "right" boat.

Cuda
01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Same one. It's 21'8" and I know I want a few feet bigger than 22'. I don't want to sell until I buy my next one. I'm affraid I may sell then it may take me a while to find the "right" boat.
For some reason, I thought yours was bigger than that. Whenever I read "22 Donzi", I automatically think Classic, or Zx.

Formula Jr
01-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I would try reversing batts also. Best guess is your batt cable to terminal connection is bad on Batt Two. They don't make 'um like they use to. That would explain your momentary ability to crank and then it blew out the loose connection where your cable is press fitted to the terminal clamp. I'm just guessing as to what is the most probable cause here..., its damn near always in the Battery, and then secondarily in the clamps and cables.

Be careful, have someone around - to hear you screaming when acid goes flying all over the place if the batt explodes- and wear safety goggles when you go back to testing. Have a bucket ready with baking soda dissolved in water.

You always need to start from a "known good" and then trace the problem logicly and methodically from that known good to the complete circuit back to the negative terminal.

Cuda
01-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Be careful, have someone around - to hear you screaming when acid goes flying all over the place if the batt explodes- and wear safety goggles when you go back to testing. Have a bucket ready with baking soda dissolved in water.

I had that happen to me when I was about 16 or 17. I was jumping another guy's battery, and when I connected mine, it arced, and blew two cells out of the battery. Luckily we were at a baseball field, and there was a water fountain right next to where we were standing.:eek!:

Barry Eller
01-03-2007, 09:43 AM
I will test it. It should be charged because it started to crank and when I stopped, pumped the throttle a few times and tryed again I had absolutely nothing.
I will check the switch too.

You pumped the throttle, then nothing...? Neutral safety switch...?:bonk:

Morgan's Cloud
01-03-2007, 10:07 AM
It started to crank and then nothing not even guages.
Battery one everything works fine.
Other than the obvious connections where else should I look?
A long time back when I still lived at home with parents and looked after Pop's car like it was mine , I had spent a day cleaning/waxing etc. and poking around with engine maint.
I went to start it and it turned over about 1 rotation of the crank shaft and then nothing. Everything electrical in the car started working momentarily
on it's own and then kaput !
The battery (almost new) had shorted out somehow and was no more good. Never saw anything like it before or since ...